• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede edgeguarding techniques

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Hello all, I'm picking up Dedede and thought that the 3.5 (recovery patch) would be the perfect time to bring this topic up, since the process should become even more effective.

What methods have you guys found to successfully edgeguard/gimp?

Some things I've found/seen players do:
-Dtilt near the ledge to punish non sweetspotted (or sometimes EVEN sweetspotted recoveries). In some cases ftilt can serve the same purpose I believe.
-Swallowciding by either A) positioning yourself in the only place where the opponent can successfully recover or B) B reversing the inhale to catch people trying to recover directly below the stage.
-Going offstage to fair/bair the opponent while possibly using a few jumps for positioning, and then recovering using Dedede's (hopefully still in 3.5) great distance wise recovery.
-Throwing waddles at the maximum speed with the right angle at someone attempting to recover.

Some far out ideas I have:
-Waddle dashing very far out to hinder/outright KO some characters when their recovery is the most fragile (maybe Link/Tink while bomb jumping for instance?)
-Throwing a waddle mostly upwards while on the stage so that it just barely falls off, then waiting an appropriate amount of time followed by fast falling towards it into a waddle toss. A bit far fetched, but there could be a slight chance of it being useful in niche scenarios.

Last edited:

OldManDyl (OMD)

Smash Cadet
Another option is to fastfall Dair at the ledge. The hitbox will be at/below the ledge and when you fastfall, if timed right, you won't get the pop-up hit and they go downwards similar to the was if someone if hit with Fox's drill offstage.

Another, more situational edgeguard is to UpSmash. The best time for this option is when waiting for them to recover over you onto the stage. The UpSmash will intercept them.

Also, if you pick up that your opponent isn't sweetspoting consistently, you can charge the DownB for an easy KO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom