• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DeDeDe chaingrab?

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Of course Ike is heavy so that may only work well on him. Might be off if the character is heavier or lighter. Plus, he was starting to learn to get out of it.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Heh, Dedede is looking better than I thought. However, it seems like the chainthrow is only really able to work on the big (or slow I guess) characters. You can see that Ike escaped it sometimes, but not others... I wonder if DI affects the throw at all?

Also, that looks like his down throw, not forward. I think you can see him using his forward throw other times.

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
looks like it only works on slow/heavy characters and it gets less effective at higher percents because the other character gets sent further. This would be a huge disadvantage for bowser and DK at walk off stages. Also, I think it was a Down throw

S2

Smash Lord
Heh, Dedede is looking better than I thought. However, it seems like the chainthrow is only really able to work on the big (or slow I guess) characters. You can see that Ike escaped it sometimes, but not others... I wonder if DI affects the throw at all?

Also, that looks like his down throw, not forward. I think you can see him using his forward throw other times.
If you pay close attention, Ike could break out of it at higher percents.

Assume like Melee, certain chain grabs only work between certain percents.

But yeah, it could just be that Ike is too slow to escape.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
In M3 and M4 videos, Ike learns to DI out of it and does so numerous amount of times, so don't count on it being a sure-fire chainthrow.

Dedede does look quite nice ^_^

True Fool

Smash Ace
I do not want to see more chain-throwing. It's too effective. Obnoxious damage building, simple combo starter. It's an easy to learn skill, easier to use, and way too effective. I'm hoping K.DDD's down throw gains some lag, or some knock-back.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
it's kinda like the IC chaingrab no way to get out except dun get grabbed

Remember: IC chaingrab FTW

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Agreed. Chainthrowing should b axed altogether. It's a far to simple way to rack up damage, and there's nothing your opponent can do about it until a certain point....when they are about to be KO'd. I don't want to win by using cheap tactics like that, and it totally kills the balance, breaks the game, and makes it unfun, especially for the player on the recieving end.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
This isn't a debate about the ethics of chain grabbing. True Fool, Alondite, it's not very kind to come into another person's post and try to hijack the subject.
Fact of the matter is, this is likely the final game engine in the video, chaingrabbing will always exist, and it's obvious this chaingrab isn't that bad since it seems Ike begins doing better against it in later matches.
Upon watching the other videos, it seems this chaingrab is only possible due to bad DI, and doesn't seem to be a guaranteed tactic. Still, it makes DeDeDe look freaking awesome.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i don't know when, but ike can get out really early on, you see his shield come up. if the c-stick auto rolls you'll be able to get out of this the same way fox could get out of falco's dthrow, hold shiled and -stick away or down.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
I was hoping chaingrabbing would not be in brawl, and someone already found a way to chaingrab with a heavy character, lol. Anyways, Dedede looks pretty good.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Dude, DeDeDe's chaingrab is sick! It really looks soild ( in the Bowser vid at least ). Question!, throughout the Bowser vid, Penguin (DeDeDe) seems to dash backwards in a stylish manner. I thought is just his back dodge, however close to the end of the fight, he does it foward. So um . . . Anyone knows what's going on? I'd hate to kill a kitty by mentioning Wave******. . .

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Despite the complaints seen here, Penguin Stomp's gonna be the core of DDD's game. His FSmash may be a unholy abomination but it comes out slow and is really predictable. In all the DDD vs (opponent) vids, you see him chain grab until he gets the chance to either Back Throw or the Final Smash.

I'm guessing the best way to fight against DDD is to choose your arena wisely. Platforms and uneven terrain would make good for getting around his Waddle Dee spam and grabs, leaving him to his weaker hammer hits or any other strategy they may use.

coldkilla30

Smash Cadet
the throw is obviously gonna be his crutch being a slow character and all but i wanna see someone do something to link it to another move(possibly a finishing move) since you can probably DI out of it after a certain amount of damage.

BTW is double stick DI in the game ?

craiigg

Smash Lord
this works against kirby too, so it may not only work for heavys

ikki does it against T2 in some vids that were on youtube/brawlcentral

C-PO

Smash Apprentice
sorry to be off topic about the chain grab, but what did DDD do at 1:08? is that a roll? seems like there was no animation and he just side stepped to the other side of ike.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Agreed. Chainthrowing should b axed altogether. It's a far to simple way to rack up damage, and there's nothing your opponent can do about it until a certain point....when they are about to be KO'd. I don't want to win by using cheap tactics like that, and it totally kills the balance, breaks the game, and makes it unfun, especially for the player on the recieving end.
Welcome to smashboards.

No johns.

Yamer

Smash Journeyman
While playing it with trevyn I tried it and it is good for some percent but isn't really that bad when you look at how melee's chaingrabs are. After like 2-3 throws they are off the edge and can just up-b to sweet spot.

Yamer

Smash Journeyman
nm on not too good. you can infinite people if you have a wall! DDD is pretty **** :p

yolky

Smash Rookie
The more you see things like these, the more it looks like DeDeDe's an anti-heavy character.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
The more you see things like these, the more it looks like DeDeDe's an anti-heavy character.
Untrue. I've used it against Peach and it works, too. He's just anti-everyone.

Top Bottom