• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede and diagonals

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
After maining King Dedede since brawl's launch I've come to find my biggest problem is handling characters that abuse the upward diagonal in their approach, like pikachu appraching with short hop fair and marth using short hop auto cancled fairs. I've noticed Dedede's only ground moves that can hit them is either the up-tilt, which has pitiful range and my opponents attacks are disjointed hitboxes so it wouldn't counterattack, and his mecha hammer, which is slow and if i get it off gets us both hit anyway. Matches where they abuse the diagonal approach usually end in me playing extremely defensively and I get pressured to the edge and usually throw off and edgeguarded. Any advice?

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Don't stand still?

I really don't think DDD has the ground game to compete with Marth/Pikachu, unless maybe you want to dash cancel a usmash, but that's pretty slow.

You could just be campy, or run away and approach with bairs.

You've answered your own question, you can't beat him with a ground game so there's no point to standing still.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Don't stand still?

You could just be campy, or run away and approach with bairs.
if you know how to alter the trajectory of waddles do that,
(DI up after throwing one) it will interfere with short hops.
i know what you mean by ddds ground game not covering a blind spot,
but you have 456467 jumps at your disposal.
make them eat bAirs and lag canceled dAirs.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Shield grab if they don't space out of your massive grab range.

If they do space out of that range, powershield ftilt. No melee attack can hit you then back out of that range.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
Like most of the others said you should shield grab (into a chain grab).

Waddle dees work and the occasional gordo will come in allot of handy because they have a slightly higher trajectory than others (Oh yeah I use big words).

Also try short hop neurtral b I works allot of the time (cept for marth)

My last bit of advice is to use dodge roll but instead of rolling backwards roll toward them (so that way you end up behing them) and do a ftilt or a utilt.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
what you do is beat them in the air or roll behind them like that one guy grab them throw them off than spike with up b and then they will try to get you some other way

I have the same problem with toon link but I still win

Top Bottom