• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deciding who to main

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
A quick backstory: I had heard of Brawl+ years ago and of PM, but never knew anyone else who knew of them so I was out of luck trying to play it. Last semester I found out that my college has a esports club mainly devoted to League. I had to leave early one day, and I was about to leave I noticed that there was a tiny group of about 5-6 people that play PM there weekly. I decided to jump in for the hell of it, and picked Samus because I recently came off of a Metroid Prime high, and boy was it a lot of fun!. From then on I started playing PM every week there, and kept picking Samus/ZSS because I liked their playstyle. Recently said esports club has been getting a PM/Smash 4 tournament in the works, so I decided I would practice PM more regularly than I usually do. I'm finding it difficult to continue right now, however.

I've played all the characters in the roster with different people, and I can say that the roster falls into 2 categories for me: characters I would much prefer to not play, and the rest. So far I've been practicing ZSS for the tournament but occasionally I get these moments that make me question why I picked her compared to the others. It's always been really hard for me to main characters because of these moments - I think of other characters, what they can and can't do, and then think of what my current main can and can't do, and make a switch - only to run into another list of can and can'ts. These thoughts come up more whenever I netplay because of the skill difference between me and my opponent. My question is: Have any of you been in a situation like this, where you came to question why you mained who who mained? What did you do to keep going with that character?

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Two week rule. Say to yourself, "I'm going to stick with this character for two weeks." and actually do it.

Do it again for the next two weeks. And every two weeks thereafter. Occasional experimentation with other chars is cool, but make sure your primary focus is always on the character you've chosen for this two weeks.

When you find yourself choosing the same character over and over, you're probably in a good place.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
It's difficult to choose. I've been playing as Fox for years now, so Fox will always stay my primary character. But when Smash 4 came out, I decided to choose a secondary (Sheik). It took me only a month to decide, but I played as almost ten different characters to make my secondary. They were: Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Zero Suit Samus, Lucario, Mario, Rosalina & Luma, Luigi, and Sheik. I decided on Sheik because she was much like Fox, quick with attacking. That's just my preference: quick attackers that can perform many combos.

This is what you need to figure out: what type of character are you best with? Power type (Bowser, Ganondorf)? All around (Mario, Yoshi)? Or a tricky character (Sheik, Rosalina & Luma)? Just experimenting with everyone is key to discovering what type you are sufficient with. You stated above you liked ZSS, who is a tricky character due to her light-weigh, speed, and technical approaches. Based on this, I would suggest these characters:
Sheik, Rosalina & Luma, Duckhunt, and Diddy Kong (they are all hard to get the hang of).
Also, check out:
Lucario, Pikachu, and possibly Palutena.

Just remember every single character has their pros and cons, and no one is perfect. Sheik, for example, can execute excellent combos but can barely KO opponents at very high percentages. Rosalina has Luma which gives her high attack power, but when Luma dies, her attack power is halved. Little Mac is extremely fast and powerful, but his recovery is laughable.

Best of luck! Let me know if you need help.

Top Bottom