• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with WFT's Sun Salutation while recovering?

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys get past the Wii Fit Trainer's neutral B when trying to recover with Aether? It's so big, and Ike's up B always goes above the ledge which leaves him open. Whenever I fight John Number's WFT, he always gets me with that and I have no idea how to counter it without having to resort to customs (which I prefer defaults, btw)

Same with Sheik's needles.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Know when to use your 2nd Jump,it's the main point an Ike player must and should know.

You most likely won't avoid the first one but after getting hit,just quickly 2nd Jump and QD to the Ledge for example.

Of course you can also switch the height you want to go for. Just recover barely to the ledge and after getting hit recover above the ledge, it will get harder for your opponent to hit you.

But all in all I can say know when and HOW to use your 2nd Jump,cause it's your most precious recovering tool as an Ike player.
Hope this helps you somehow.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
You'll also want to practice using Aether at it's maximum range, as at its max range nothing of Ike's hurtbox goes over the ledge. It's hard to pull off, but it's possible. If nothing else, practicing this will have less of you going over the ledge which helps against Sheik's needles since they don't have as wide of a hitbox as Sun Salutation. Stages with sharking can help, as it will sometimes throw off a player's aim trying to anticipate where your hurtbox will be. (So, abuse human error in this case)

Otherwise, try to avoid low recoveries if you can. DI yourself so you can use QD to the ledge for the snap, or try to recover higher. There will be MU's where some approaches are worse than others for recovery (like Ganondorf and Captain Falcon with deep recoveries), and this is one of those.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Hmm, I wouldn't call a low recovery any worse than a horizontal recovery against Captaindorf. They have their infamous stomps and the ability to screw with Ike when he jumps, but I've also been punched straight out of Quick Draw by their Bair, which is generally the end for you with their knockback. A low recovery at least allows you to try and anticipate their edgeguard with a spotdodge and stage teching. Mixups and reactions are more important there, I think.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
With a deep recovery against Captaindorf, it comes down to your ability to psyche out your opponent when you'll throw your Aether to survive. Not much there for options for Ike. Deep recoveries are beyond low, mind you. A deep recovery really only has one way to recover (burning through the double jump and Up-B), with Dodging being a high risk venture against off-stage edge-guarding. For those playing the home game, Ike is actually very good at blocking deep recoveries with Eruption and off-stage b-air being two of my favorite options. (And Eruption being a BnB edge-guarding move for Ike against most low/deep recovery situations.)

When approaching from the side (whether it's level with the field or lower) you have your rising aerials, Quick Draw, Aether, Dodging for the ledge, and just jumping as options. If you are low enough, yes they can still spike us since they have higher priority with their d-air but Ike also has enough damage to potentially knock them out of it depending on the move/angle/momentum of the combatants. B-air against QD for them does have more reach, but that is where the other options help (or being more unpredictable with your QD release times).

My point above is that with Ike's more limited deep recovery options, reducing how often we give free shots to characters that can dunk others is ideal. It's not hopeless (as I've also Aether-spiked my share of Ganondorfs that went for the meteor) but it's definitely not in our favor.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Yeah, I get that - what I'm saying is more like unlike other matchups where one option is far and away superior, we stand to get easily swatted away whether we go for a side or low recovery, so we have to stay on our toes no matter which option we pick against them.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Side b recovery is in ike's control. There is also a significant portion underneath the stage where QD will snap. Against those types of projectiles, I would go to a stage where it is possible to throw aether deep inside the stage. Basically a non SV underside.

D

Deleted member 269706

You know, one thing I love to do to fool spammers like that is actually use Quick Draw to recover ON stage. Release quick draw when you're about one full hop above the stage. As an Ike main, you should know that Quick Draw autocancels at this height meaning you can act directly out of it the instant you touch the ground - be it shielding, spot dodging, rolling, attacking, etc. What's more is that the sun Salutation won't hit Ike as he will be high enough that it misses completely. Now, you have to be clever in your timing, spacing, and distancing when doing this, otherwise you may be punished the same as before.

Quick drawing to the ledge is also a fine idea, or you could use Aether lower down so that Ike doesn't go above the stage. Again, this requires practice and knowledge to achieve, so be careful, and get your practice in. And NEVER recover ON stage with Aether, only on the ledge. Wayyyy too much endlag if you land on the stage.

And just throwing it out there, but counter can be useful to cancel the hitboxes from projectiles. If the enemy approaches you after firing, the counter may just work in your favor. Good luck!

Top Bottom