• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Toon Link

Trauma1

Smash Rookie
Ok so earlier I was 1v1ing a buddy and since I've been trying to get better at smash lately I've picked Ness as my main and was playing him today. He went toon link all times that we played.

I kept having trouble with his projectiles. It was like if I dodge his boomerang he'd shoot an arrow or throw a bomb so I'd immediately have to deal with those. Or if he saw me PSI magnet his bomb he would try to come in for a grab. And his arrows, he is able to fire them a lot faster than I am able to deal with them and as a result he would get lots of free damage off.

How do you guys deal with projectile spamming Toon Links and Links? Should I just stay back and let them try to approach me or is there a specific way I should be trying to approach people as Ness?

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Notice when your friend shoots out projectiles and power sheild them. Also Ness' magnet is not fast enough to absorb the bombs explosion before toon link goes for the grab unless the bomb is coming from afar. Wait for toon link to approach with his grab and punish his laggy wiffed grab. After that combo like crazy. Also don't bat back Toon Link projectiles unless they are coming from afar. You have to play more defensive around Toon Link because of his plethora of projectiles.

Also does your friend have any nasty habits that you can punish like excessive rolling, spot dodging, doing certain moves at certain moments, etc.

Here's a good example of how Ness deals with Toon Link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTHafQWwaU
The commentator's commentary on the matchup also very important to listen too.
My close friend also mains toon link so I know this match up. :)

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

Asa

Smash Hero
If you're a mid range or tl is above you, it is safe to absorb a bomb. If they're close , holding shield is safe. You dont, however want to be trapped in your shoeld for too long while he's throwing out projectiles; mix up shielding with simply running around them.

Don't let tl have lots of stage to do what he wants.
He does outcamp us so you will have to approach, but stay in a fix range where his projectiles won't be as safe.

Keep an eye for his projectile habits; when does he pull a bomb? Does he jump when he does? Does he like to fair after tossing a bomb? Stuff like that helps to be aware of. TL isnmost vulnerable when he is pulling a bomb. Find when he pulls one and save that read for an uair kill.

Bomb / rang to fair is his most common kill setup, so when you are in kill oercents, be certain that you don't get hit by either of these. It's alright to sit in shield a bit longer, since his throws don't really kill unless he btrows you near a ledge.

As far as edge guarding goes, tl is susceptible to getting hit as he tries to zair the ledge. Dropping off the ledge and nairng him as he upbs is good as well.

Top Bottom