• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing With Ness

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
Aside from Ganon's usual problematic characters (Link, sometimes Falco, etc) who I've more-or-less figured out how to deal with, I've come into contact with a particularly troublesome Ness player. His PK fire inturrupts Ganon's side and down b's, his multihit dash attack and fair juggle Ganon quite well, his downthrow auto-combos into either a back/down air or an upsmash (the latter if he has to move)...

Save for using upairs like it's going out of style, I'm at a loss as to how to fight this matchup. Do any of you more experienced Ganons have any pointers or advice for me?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Close the gap or approach with movement instead of a B move. Save your DJ for baits to punish his reactions: your main approaches should be with 1 jump only. I don't think Dthrow CG's for any lengthy amount of %, and you probably wouldn't get that anyways if you're getting a few stronger hits in before the grab (while spacing or walling). However you get some nasty possible hits on characters near his weight/floatiness out of the throw. Usmash, Dair, etc

If you eat PK fire, try to SDI backwards and towards the ground. You will get out faster and safer this way usually. I'm pretty sure you can outspace or trade with his Fair, but he tends to have the frame speed advantage on you so you will have to consider spacing and timing for this ofc.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Pretty much what DMG said, yeah. Do that.

Edit: Oh, and if you have a chance at a good punish, go for aerial Flame Choke. Ness is floaty enough for you to get a grab out of it, but not floaty enough to escape guaranteed followups out of the following d-throw. It's pretty brutal.

Last edited:

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
Thanks fellas, that actually helped me a lot more than I expected! There's a new sheriff in Roodytown. He's the same as the old sheriff. It's still Ganon.

Top Bottom