• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Ganondorf?

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I was just wondering how roy/marth should deal with him. Specifically, how do you deal with his down B and Side B? I play against a ganon player who spams those moves a lot, and if he connects with a side B, he will immediately down B tech chase me, and it can kill me as low as 50% depending on map and location.

Vicas

Smash Rookie
you can DI the spike from flame choke. If you hold your control stick in the direction behind him you'll land behind him and the Wizard Kick followup will miss. There are some possible mixups he can do if he knows you'll be going behind him but if he's kick heavy he'll almost always follow up with that.

Furthermore, those two attacks are crazy predictable and easy to dodge if you know what to look out for. Try to get a feel for the range of the wizard kick and try to either keep him at that distance so all his kicks end with him sitting in range of an F-smash, or just hop out of the way when he does it. Flame Choke and Wizard Kick both have massive end lag, so you can come in with a Nair or even a Bair/Dair if you think you can sweetspot

Gale Yamanaka

Smash Rookie
I don't have personal experience with this match up per se, but I play a lot of Ganondorf in PM and a lot of Roy as well. The one thing you need to keep in mind when you're dealing with a good Ganon that knows how to use his side b is that you are NOT safe in your shield. So your spacing needs to be ON point. The good thing is, if your spacing is on point, you basically get a free punish. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you think you can predict his down b, and your near the end of it's range (so he doesn't go behind you) you can shield it and then punish the MASSIVE ending lag on it. Watch how your opponent plays and get a feel for when he likes to use his down b. Once you can start reading that, you can even punish with your counter and DESTROY him for using it. You have to watch out for the side b mix up though. Also, remember it's NEVER a good idea to not tech the side b. Learn the tech timing for the side b (both grounded and air side b have different tech timings.) Ganon isn't really a hard match up for anybody, it's all about just knowing what tricks ganon likes to use and then making sure you avoid them and don't get get punished. Once you actually find an opening on him, his weight is perfect for being destroyed by roy's combo game. My advice is stay in his face as much as you can, make sure you spacing is on point, and when you're NOT in his face know what to expect from him (side b, down b, SHFFL fair/dair, SH side b, etc).

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
Marth vs Ganon is straightforward. Just wait for him to do something and then punish. Ganon's moves have a good amount of startup and lag which Marth can really capitalize. Side B is stuffed by many moves and it's extremely easy to punish down b after shield.

With Roy, I find that once you get in, Ganon can't do much. When attacking his shield, either grab or cross up nair to land behind him. If he's spamming side b, you can just dtilt his approach. If you get hit, just tech behind him. As for down b, just shield then grab, dtilt, fsmash etc. Down B is really easy to punish.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Marth vs Ganon is straightforward. Just wait for him to do something and then punish. Ganon's moves have a good amount of startup and lag which Marth can really capitalize. Side B is stuffed by many moves and it's extremely easy to punish down b after shield.

With Roy, I find that once you get in, Ganon can't do much. When attacking his shield, either grab or cross up nair to land behind him. If he's spamming side b, you can just dtilt his approach. If you get hit, just tech behind him. As for down b, just shield then grab, dtilt, fsmash etc. Down B is really easy to punish.
Are you sure that dtilt works? I tried dtilt a lot. I have yet to hit him with dtilt while he left/down Bs, and I use dtilt a **** ton. I think he sometimes short hop side b's so he goes over the dtilt.

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
Are you sure that dtilt works? I tried dtilt a lot. I have yet to hit him with dtilt while he left/down Bs, and I use dtilt a **** ton. I think he sometimes short hop side b's so he goes over the dtilt.
Yes Dtilt works. Your timing just has to be good. Not that hard though.

Alternatively you can use Ftilt if you can't time Dtilt.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
What options do you try?

• Retreating spaced fair is amazing, it can set for a combo.

• Dash away and punish the ending lag of side b.

• Tech the choke and counter.

• Fsmash

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Something I always thought was neat and just handy against Ganon is just wavedash back so the attack misses (Depending on what it is) and forward smash, as long as you went in the right direction of course.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
im surprised nobody didnt say just ftilt. like literally i dont think ganon has any answer to ftilt. he cant out prioritize it, he cant outspace it, he cant jump over it without you having 300 years to read him, and he cant out camp you to force a reaction. If theres platforms? fair and uair should work pretty well. i literally think this MU is like 70-30 roy

Top Bottom