• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Fox nair/drillshine

Pickles_211

Smash Rookie
How do you beat it? I play a fox that does nair/drillshines constantly and I can't figure out how to punish it. Do I just have to avoid it, or is there some better way of dealing with it?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Shine OOS if he misses an L cancel or hits your shield too high. You can force him to hit higher or miss an L-cancel by angling your shield upwards. You can also just buffer roll away.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I don't really have context for why this is happening, but if it's in the neutral, he's either punishing your lag or you're just choosing to shield instead of running away a bit and punishing him for committing to an option. Shielding isn't necessarily bad, but you don't wanna abuse it.

Pickles_211

Smash Rookie
What's happening is he approaches with nair/drillshines all the time and I shield because I don't know how else to deal with it. What GenNyan said is kind of working though.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Okay, well if it's happening straight up in the neutral game and you're not in a position to safely laser him, then what I'd recommend doing is either avoiding it with good DD/WD, or trying to compete with it with utilts or bairs.

Hedgehog_

Smash Cadet
dash away, preemptive utilts/bairs, shine out of shield after he does nair/drill shine

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
How good is he at handling lasers ? Pestering him with lasers (at a safe spacing = just outside of his shffl nair range) is a good way to keep him grounded, make him get in his shield. Then take care to mix up what you're doing after the lasers / when he tries to get through : nair>shine on his shield, laser>grab, keep shooting, DD right outside of shield-grab range.

AC bair>shine and dair in place/fading away will both beat his nair clean, when you feel he's gonna jump on you.

When he's above you/on platforms, make him understand he just cannot fall on you with drill/anything : by facing away and bairing him immediately if he does, bair will always win. You can also u-tilt (wich will give you a huge punish on hit), but it's a harder commitment and could get you punished, especially if you spam it and he sees it coming.

You can basically control the pace of the game with laser and AC bairs alone : it's you who determines when he can or cannot approach you. This way you can anticipate before him when he will see an opening, thus allowing you to punish him for going in (for example fade-away dair). When you whiff a defensive option like this, don't take the habit of always shielding/rolling after : instead WD back, AC bair again, laser...

So the key word here is : ANTICIPATE. You know he's going to approach, all you need to do is to have a stong answer ready for when he commits to approach.

When he does hit your shield, like the others said before : shine OoS (I still struggle with this one), buffer roll away by holding c-stick away (avoid rolling in, it's pretty easy to catch), FH to retreat on platform sometimes.
If his pressure isn't super clean, you can be patient and wait till after the shine to punish with easier stuff than shine OoS : nair/bair OoS, WD OoS > shine, or shieldgrab (risky).

Top Bottom