• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with d-throw -> f-air -> oblivion

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I have a friend who I cannot get out of his combos. Maybe I'm just bad at DI-ing these things but at 0% he is d-throw - f-air - f-air - jabcombo - f-air -f-air almost every damn time and I just end up 40%+. I main link/sheik.

I do fairly well against him otherwise but it's hard starting almost every stock with 40%+ and endup losing in the end because of it

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Luigi is able to follow your DI pretty well at low percents. Unfortunately, all I can advise you with is this: don't get grabbed

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Luigi is able to follow your DI pretty well at low percents. Unfortunately, all I can advise you with is this: don't get grabbed
sounds like such bad advice but it's so true. haha. Thanks, yo

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
It's a good philosophy to play smash with, grab combos, chain grabs, etc. All avoidable if you don't get grabbed.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
TBQH it doesn't really matter which way you DI at lower percents (like below 50%-60%). Luigi can do two aerials in a row in one short hop. If you don't DI, it's $2 slices. If you DI away, it's probably b-air to f-tilt or jab combo. Just know that Luigi mains are ALWAYS fishing for the grab when they can. Use that to your advantage.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
TBQH it doesn't really matter which way you DI at lower percents (like below 50%-60%). Luigi can do two aerials in a row in one short hop. If you don't DI, it's $2 slices. If you DI away, it's probably b-air to f-tilt or jab combo. Just know that Luigi mains are ALWAYS fishing for the grab when they can. Use that to your advantage.
As a Link, I wonder if dropping bombs under me would do the trick to an extent. I know I'd have to do more than that but just thinking of options

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
DI up and towards Luigi. You'll still take damage but it'll be less. His follow ups won't be as strong.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Here's my philosophy as a Luigi player:

0-40% I will go for chops. The best thing to do is DI up and behind Luigi like hey_there stated. He'll get one chop off and maybe a bair or nair but at least its not another chop into a re-grab.

50-80% Ill usually go for dair spikes or 'nados because 50% is when they start to bounce off of the ground. The best thing to do IMO is to DI away from Luigi so it's hard to get the spike OR if he gets the dair spike, be ready and tech out of it or nair when you're coming back up. I've had a few ZSS players catch me coming back up.

80-110% (except on heavy characters, then its about 105-120) is shoryuken city. Try your best to DI away but if the players knows how to get the hitbox, you're usually dead. Especially on halberd. So at this point, spot dodge punish is your best friend.

110%+ is just straight 'nado and nair city, unless I don't feel confident and I just go for an up air haha.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I have a friend who I cannot get out of his combos. Maybe I'm just bad at DI-ing these things but at 0% he is d-throw - f-air - f-air - jabcombo - f-air -f-air almost every damn time and I just end up 40%+. I main link/sheik.

I do fairly well against him otherwise but it's hard starting almost every stock with 40%+ and endup losing in the end because of it
Luigi has poor approach and he is always looking for grab. just have to figure out how to use this...
as for DI recommendations. (it's been a while sense I practiced my Luigi)
low percents: he's gonna fair, you know it and he knows it. Up and towards him to break the string off as soon as possible. Up and away he'll string 3+ fairs together, straight away or none he'll double fair, with another follow up
medium percents: Just make sure to DI (just not down) really, they'll all limit his follow ups. Upward DI youll get hit by Uairs, Nairs and FJP will connect, but it won't kill so it would be risky for him to go for it. DI directly away you'll get hit by like fair to uair. DI down you must like combo videos. DI towards Luigi you'll be hit by Bair
High percents : you're trying to avoid being killed, Straight away seems to be best option. It will avoid the lethal things like Bair, Nair and FJP

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Unfortunately, we can't do much here.
I would advise to completely avoid his grabs as much as you can. If he does grab and begin his regular combo, DI toward him to lessen the damage done to you.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Guys, DI-ing towards him will only just BIGGEN the damage he can do.

D-air -> FF N-air -> U-tilts -> U-smash can rack up 55%-60%. Or he can D-air you and go for the D-air chaingrab.

I advise you don't get grabbed. Yeah, trash advice, but if the Luigi player you are facing is good, he'll spike you and let you fear the D-air combo or chaingrab.

If he ALWAYS F-air at low percents though, DI toward him can do pretty well. Though, he can still B-air you.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Guys, DI-ing towards him will only just BIGGEN the damage he can do.

D-air -> FF N-air -> U-tilts -> U-smash can rack up 55%-60%. Or he can D-air you and go for the D-air chaingrab.

I advise you don't get grabbed. Yeah, trash advice, but if the Luigi player you are facing is good, he'll spike you and let you fear the D-air combo or chaingrab.

If he ALWAYS F-air at low percents though, DI toward him can do pretty well. Though, he can still B-air you.
At least a bair doesn't combo like fiar does. I know he will bair me if he gets the chance on missing a fair (always does anyway)

I really need to work on my zair game, I need to space him the hell out haha

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
At least a bair doesn't combo like fiar does. I know he will bair me if he gets the chance on missing a fair (always does anyway)

I really need to work on my zair game, I need to space him the hell out haha
Bair kills instead :D

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Not at low%. hy the time fair kills fair wont combo as well
I don't even use bair to kill most of the time. I use retreating fast fall bairs whenever someone gets way too greedy and starts being over aggressive.

Also, from what I've seen, most Luigis don't go for FF grabs out of dair and low % dairs anyway. It seems very situation based, and it's not the easiest thing with how floating he is. I'd only feel comfortable going for it on heavier characters.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I don't even use bair to kill most of the time. I use retreating fast fall bairs whenever someone gets way too greedy and starts being over aggressive.

Also, from what I've seen, most Luigis don't go for FF grabs out of dair and low % dairs anyway. It seems very situation based, and it's not the easiest thing with how floating he is. I'd only feel comfortable going for it on heavier characters.
not to mention Dair's sweet spot only lasts 1 frame and it's half radius the size of the sourspot

Soupy

Sage of Wind
That might be kind of risky, though. I don't like wasting my double jump that often since Luigi gets smacked around a little too easily. Maybe it's because I'm bad at keeping stage control, but even when I'm on a winning streak, I'm on the ledge 24/7.

Thank the Smash gods that Luigi can recover from the depths of hell with cyclone.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
That might be kind of risky, though. I don't like wasting my double jump that often since Luigi gets smacked around a little too easily. Maybe it's because I'm bad at keeping stage control, but even when I'm on a winning streak, I'm on the ledge 24/7.

Thank the Smash gods that Luigi can recover from the depths of hell with cyclone.
Unfortunately a swift dair from a lot of characters can stop that recovery thought it's tricky. I've killed my friend so many times using link's dair spike but it's rough

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Unfortunately a swift dair from a lot of characters can stop that recovery thought it's tricky. I've killed my friend so many times using link's dair spike but it's rough
Exactly. Against characters like that, I would probably recover very high over the stage and try to 'nado when I get near the ground, or something of that sort.

I'm very reluctant to use Luigi's double jump on stage simply because he gets knocked off so often and you have to be smart about your recovery.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Exactly. Against characters like that, I would probably recover very high over the stage and try to 'nado when I get near the ground, or something of that sort.

I'm very reluctant to use Luigi's double jump on stage simply because he gets knocked off so often and you have to be smart about your recovery.
my friend DOES like to jump around a lot so maybe I'll try to take advantage. He has gotten really comfortable with having just high priority on his aerials but I think I could content with it (though I think fair has a lot of range and might contend with link's sword )

Soupy

Sage of Wind
my friend DOES like to jump around a lot so maybe I'll try to take advantage. He has gotten really comfortable with having just high priority on his aerials but I think I could content with it (though I think fair has a lot of range and might contend with link's sword )
I doubt fair could out range a sword. That was one of Luigi's biggest problems in Melee was the fact that a competent Marth could just poop on you. Though they did cut down the reach on most swords in this game so idk.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of Luigi's moves have very small reach. I can't even count how many times I've whiffed a forward smash just because I didn't space it correctly. But yeah, if your friend likes to waste his 2nd jump a lot, smack him right off of the stage and see if he's a b mashing god and can 'nado back up without another jump haha.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
A good Luigi player will take into account how you DI.

The best thing to do is to manipulate your DI every time you get grabbed and keep him guessing. The less auto-pilot he can do, the more likely he is to mess up.

Of course, the best thing to do is to not get grabbed.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I doubt fair could out range a sword. That was one of Luigi's biggest problems in Melee was the fact that a competent Marth could just poop on you. Though they did cut down the reach on most swords in this game so idk.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of Luigi's moves have very small reach. I can't even count how many times I've whiffed a forward smash just because I didn't space it correctly. But yeah, if your friend likes to waste his 2nd jump a lot, smack him right off of the stage and see if he's a b mashing god and can 'nado back up without another jump haha.
funny enough he is the best button masher I've ever met haha.

I noticed a few times having a hard time getting him with a few moves. Marth does also have more range than link does.

whiffing a f-smash with Luigi isn't nearly as bad as other characters...Luigi is a mutant with little ending lag on smashes

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
A good Luigi player will take into account how you DI.

The best thing to do is to manipulate your DI every time you get grabbed and keep him guessing. The less auto-pilot he can do, the more likely he is to mess up.

Of course, the best thing to do is to not get grabbed.
You could say that about any character to be fair. You are right though

Soupy

Sage of Wind
funny enough he is the best button masher I've ever met haha.

I noticed a few times having a hard time getting him with a few moves. Marth does also have more range than link does.

whiffing a f-smash with Luigi isn't nearly as bad as other characters...Luigi is a mutant with little ending lag on smashes
You might have to work pretty hard at that then. Watch some videos of Boss (specifically Boss vs Dabuz) and see how people punish his mashes below stage.

Yeahhhhhhh, that's true. You can get two aerials into pretty much every short hop as well haha. Luigi's can get into some predictable habits though. One problem I've noticed with myself is while Weegi DOES have a ton of options, once things start to work for you, you keep doing them.

I have to mentally force myself to mix up my approaches. Otherwise, I'll start fishing for grabs and things of that sort.

We're getting a little off topic with the thread title, though. If we're gonna get into more Luigi tech and things of that nature, we should probably move over to the Luigi game play discussion sticky just for good measure.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
You might have to work pretty hard at that then. Watch some videos of Boss (specifically Boss vs Dabuz) and see how people punish his mashes below stage.

Yeahhhhhhh, that's true. You can get two aerials into pretty much every short hop as well haha. Luigi's can get into some predictable habits though. One problem I've noticed with myself is while Weegi DOES have a ton of options, once things start to work for you, you keep doing them.

I have to mentally force myself to mix up my approaches. Otherwise, I'll start fishing for grabs and things of that sort.

We're getting a little off topic with the thread title, though. If we're gonna get into more Luigi tech and things of that nature, we should probably move over to the Luigi game play discussion sticky just for good measure.
Yeah probably should if we keep going. I think my biggest strength against him is I'm willing to come to places like smashboards to learn. He's a bit stubborn in his "I learned it myself" stuff but doesn't know a lot of technical stuff. I know It I just don't have a wii u to practice. I hope he eventually comes here so he can be a lot better. I'll definitely check out boss vs dabuz. Thanks for all the help

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Yeah probably should if we keep going. I think my biggest strength against him is I'm willing to come to places like smashboards to learn. He's a bit stubborn in his "I learned it myself" stuff but doesn't know a lot of technical stuff. I know It I just don't have a wii u to practice. I hope he eventually comes here so he can be a lot better. I'll definitely check out boss vs dabuz. Thanks for all the help
No problem, man! Message me or find me on the forums if you have anymore Weegi questions for sure. I love talking about him haha.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
What are you asking? Not quickly double jump and instead wait for a monent before double jumping? Enemy double jumps?
when you input, SH, FH or DJ all change the timing of how fast you can put out a hitbox. I'm merely asking if Luigi can Dthrow -> Double Jump -> Dair and the hitstun last long enough to still be a true combo

TriTails

Smash Lord
It's actually faster than D-throw -> Jump -> D-air in my experience. You shouldn't get punished for it if you hit it, even the sourspot.

And yes, the hitstun should last long enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom