• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing death from afar

Mister Hyde

Smash Rookie
NNID
StealthEvolved
3DS FC
4270-2449-5883
While playing around with Zelda I found something rather interesting. If you teleport on top of someone it can kill at percents from around 60 - 90 (if they are on the side near the edge).

What do you all think about this?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Are you talking about the high knock back? This has been known for quite a while, at least since the playable E3 build. But yes, Farore's reappearance is now a kill move.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
It's more than likely going to be Smash 4's equivelant to Brawl's Din though. Couple of weeks of "OMGSOGUD", then people realise that it's ridiculously easy to shield it.

I imagine it'll still be more reliable than Brawl's Din though, if only slightly.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
Actually, I find it easier to land from the ground. Knock them up upon disappearing, don't input a direction, and they should be knocked up right about to where you reappear(I have so far been able to kill like that at 70% or more ^ ^)

Hulk Smash

Smash Rookie
I've tried to do this several times, but I'm finding it difficult to predict how far up I'll reappear. Don't want to end up above them and end up getting KO'd as a result

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
I've tried to do this several times, but I'm finding it difficult to predict how far up I'll reappear. Don't want to end up above them and end up getting KO'd as a result
Strange. Usually, around 70 they should be at the perfect distance for when you reappear. It does seem to vary though with a few characters though. But I have won games with this FW combo, so I can testify to it :D

Last edited:

Tohfoo

Smash Cadet
Strange. Usually, around 70 they should be at the perfect distance for when you reappear. It does seem to vary though with a few characters though. But I have won games with this FW combo, so I can testify to it :D
I second this. Seems to work more reliably around 80% or so in my experience.

Hulk Smash

Smash Rookie
Hmm, okay then, I'll just put more practice into it and make sure im at the right percentage before I try to KO them with FW, Thanks!

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
Hmm, okay then, I'll just put more practice into it and make sure im at the right percentage before I try to KO them with FW, Thanks!
Np, and it does vary from character to character. But you'll begin to notice what type of characters got tossed upwards earlier than others and such the more you try.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
Farore's Wind is a great kill move if you can land it. Though if you just FW in plain sight more likely than not you'll be punished for it since the opponent will shield or dodge out of the way, and FW has a huge recovery time upon landing.

Pick and choose your moments when using it.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
Farore's Wind is a great kill move if you can land it. Though if you just FW in plain sight more likely than not you'll be punished for it since the opponent will shield or dodge out of the way, and FW has a huge recovery time upon landing.

Pick and choose your moments when using it.
This is why I recommend you play mind games with it ):D FW to them maybe a couple of times, but use it regularly the rest of the time. (FW behind them instead of to them when trying to get back on a ledge) If they start to catch on, just FW in place a few times to psyche them out before actually using it to hit them.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Don't use it as an approach unless you're sure your opponent cannot avoid it in time. Oh, but do use it as often as you like on players who refuse to shield. It is indeed this game's Din's. Except it's actually still useful against competent players.

Teledashing in PM has spoiled me and the end lag on FW is killing me. It would be a lot more fun with just a bit of breathing room.

Last edited:

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
Don't use it as an approach unless you're sure your opponent cannot avoid it in time. Oh, but do use it as often as you like on players who refuse to shield. It is indeed this game's Din's. Except it's actually still useful against competent players.

Teledashing in PM has spoiled me and the end lag on FW is killing me. It would be a lot more fun with just a bit of breathing room.
Seriously, PM Zelda spoiled me in such a way that when I played Smash 4 Zelda I was doing things that shouldn't be done lol.

But it's still my main girl so I figured her out fairly quickly. Though I'm still learning, I'm quite enjoying her with Lucina on the side.

Also is it me or is Dins fire much more useful in this version than past iterations?

Mister Hyde

Smash Rookie
NNID
StealthEvolved
3DS FC
4270-2449-5883
Seriously, PM Zelda spoiled me in such a way that when I played Smash 4 Zelda I was doing things that shouldn't be done lol.

But it's still my main girl so I figured her out fairly quickly. Though I'm still learning, I'm quite enjoying her with Lucina on the side.

Also is it me or is Dins fire much more useful in this version than past iterations?
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. A good way to apply pressure and force someone who's camping to make a move.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. A good way to apply pressure and force someone who's camping to make a move.
That's my favorite part about it. So many people online in FG like to camp and wait for you to come to them, and DF forces them to make a move towards you.

I've also started finding a liking for Phantom Slash as an edge-guarding tool. It's a nice mindgame to have with your opponent.

BBNik

Smash Cadet
Totally. I use phantom slash for a few situations. Firstly when getting back to the edge, charging it slows your fall and as such I can use it on people who might be edge guarding (since you can act after it). Secondly it's grea vs people with dash attacks like ike or whatever since it completely shuts the move down. And lastly it's got good zoning purposes. If it's just standing there, people usually just jump over it and as such I position a Dins fire or a fair/bair. For some serious damage/knockback.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Phantom has its uses, no doubt, but I can't imagine just why it possibly needs the serious extent of its drawbacks that it has. The ending lag and the cool-down (being unable to use it for a few seconds) are atrocious, and it's got a rather convolutedly place hitbox in relation to Zelda.

That said, though, it's a fantastic follow-up edgeguarding tool to Dsmash.

About FW, I'm starting to feel as though the final Wii U Zelda build is going to be quite different than the E3 one with regard to knockback percentages (Shoot me if this is so obvious, I've simply never known).

I've seen FW KO at ~100% center-stage in an E3 demo vid, and that's obviously not happening in Smash 3DS.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I think FW was nerfed before release.
Hylia knows why; it's not like it would've been broken. But I guess Zelda can never have something that strong =/

I really hate that Phantom has such precisely small hitboxes.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I think FW was nerfed before release.
Hylia knows why; it's not like it would've been broken. But I guess Zelda can never have something that strong =/
Looking back at it now, only the knockback has been nerfed, and only slightly.

I have a feeling Bill Trinen's Zelda FW KO on Fox at 32% during SDCC pissed Sakurai off.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Probably.

Even though Fox is very light, the move was fresh, and they were at the edge of a walkoff stage that moment did give me optimism for a while.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
It should be noted that upB's first hitbox sends the opponents up in a stunned status. Your opponent needs to be 60%-80% for the second hit to land depending on the opponent's weight. In most cases, your reappearing hitbox will hit the person before they are launched to their deaths. After about 300% they get KO'd due to moving too fast upwards for Zelda to catch them.

The other offensive version was meant to troll people on the ends of the stage. It spikes them diagonally downwards. Kind of like PM Falco's Dair when used near the edge.

Anyway, I am loving this version of Zelda. She is now the camper killer.

Last edited:

BBNik

Smash Cadet
The one that goes up is a meteor and can be used to punish edge guarders by meteoring them down

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
The one that goes up is a meteor and can be used to punish edge guarders by meteoring them down
Yes. However it is harder to land than the vanilla Fiorre's Wind. FW is basically the superior version.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
It's fun and all for a short time but then they'll catch on. The lack of aiming and launch ability make it just a worst choice than default FW. I'd even rather have the one that telegraphs my movement over Windfall.

Uncertain Title

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3238-9292
I think it just comes down to practice. I mean, changing input direction while in mid FW is definitely feasible, it'll just take some practice to have that kind of reaction time :)

Top Bottom