• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD for A-tier

ck2399

Smash Rookie
Seriously, I feel DDD deserves a spot among the greatest in Smash 4.

He's the most reliable among the fatties.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Probably B at the highest, C is pretty realistic.

As far as best heavy, I think Bowser probably takes that title just due to his agility and how quick his kill moves come out (in comparison to Deeds).

Deeds struggles really hard against the top 5-10 (Diddy, Rosalina, Sonic, Pikachu), so I have a really hard time saying he should be among them.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
B tier.
If he had something that breaks shields like the others tho... he'd be great

ck2399

Smash Rookie
Probably B at the highest, C is pretty realistic.

As far as best heavy, I think Bowser probably takes that title just due to his agility and how quick his kill moves come out (in comparison to Deeds).

Deeds struggles really hard against the top 5-10 (Diddy, Rosalina, Sonic, Pikachu), so I have a really hard time saying he should be among them.
That's a pretty insightful post!

I haven't really played against good top tiers yet, so I guess I can't judge. But as far as I know, DDD is beast with a good mind-game and much better than in brawl.

B tier.
Just for that crouch, he should be A-tier :D

Last edited by a moderator:

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
C tier is right IMO. After playing lots of matches with DDD, what brings him down is his inability to deal with campers. He has polarizing matchups. He's really good against the other bigs and he's pretty even against characters without good camping ability. But for those who can camp, he's in terrible shape. He has no fast approach options, he's slow, gordos can be reflected. Just stay away and force DDD to approach and you have a big advantage.

I feel hopeless when facing good duck hunt, villager, samus, toon link, link, megaman and ness mains.

Last edited:

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
B tier.
Super Dedede Jump eats shield if you land on them, but the ending lag if you miss/they dodge makes it unreliable for shield breaking.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Super Dedede Jump eats shield if you land on them, but the ending lag if you miss/they dodge makes it unreliable for shield breaking.
It doesn't break shield. It makes nice shield damage , like F smash, but doesnt break them :/

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Just because you like a character doesn't mean it belongs in the upper tiers. Otherwise Wario would be SS tier. ;)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Do you guys realize those letter " Tiers" are all made up and any one but the A has no real meaning, right?

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
I hope they give him some buffs in a future patch. The gordo reflect idea is fine but was taken too far. The knockback is stupidly high and there should be atleast a few less projectiles that can reflect it. Also the ending lag on inhale seems excessive considering it is beaten by so many things. And yes, a charged forward smash IMO should be able to break a shield...it's too slow to not to be able to shield break. Those are the main changes I'd like to see. I don't think any of those would make him OP by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:

Alotoaxolotls

Smash Cadet
NNID
alotoaxiolotls
3DS FC
3969-4797-0441
If they replaced his jet hammer with a move that offered better mobility, like his spin from the masked dedede fights, but shorter, than I think the polarizing matchups against campers would be buffered a lot.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Time for another "Character personal opinion" thread!.
Dedede is in "Higher than might you think" tier. Also known as "Whoa there, not that high either" tier.
Lets call it the "Just alright" tier.
But I would consider calling Dedede the best fatty, he gets many other strenghts over Bowser. Like better air game, range, recovery, and the only fatty with a projectile if you dont count Fire Breath. Maybe they are tied.
A shield breaker or a super armor attack would have risen D3 to that A tier you dream of, easily.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Also worth noting that all of Bowser's ground moves are disjointed. We may have a hammer, but he has falchions for arms and legs.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Bowser can clank out large Projectiles that aren't lasers with Bair. DDD can't do that. And Bowser can keep moving at max battle speed.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Bowser can clank out large Projectiles that aren't lasers with Bair. DDD can't do that.

Dedede's bair doesn't clank projectiles because it has transcendent priority like Brawl Meta Knight's attacks - it won't clank with anything. Ftilt is like this too.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I love how silly does that offstage Nair look.
GERONIMOOOOOOOO

And analyzing it a bit, it might be very effective.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Dedede's bair doesn't clank projectiles because it has transcendent priority like Brawl Meta Knight's attacks - it won't clank with anything. Ftilt is like this too.
Can DDD's Nair clank out a "Max Aura" Aura Sphere?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Can DDD's Nair clank out a "Max Aura" Aura Sphere?
It can't, but...really, nothing realistic can. The rule of thumb is that attacks can clank projectiles up to 9% stronger than them; maxed Aura Sphere is 29%, and there aren't any aerials that hit for 20% (strongest is Bowser bair at 19% I believe).

Well, Palutena can bop her way through it with her invincible bair, but that's cheating.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
It can't, but...really, nothing realistic can. The rule of thumb is that attacks can clank projectiles up to 9% stronger than them; maxed Aura Sphere is 29%, and there aren't any aerials that hit for 20% (strongest is Bowser bair at 19% I believe).

Well, Palutena can bop her way through it with her invincible bair, but that's cheating.
Well guess what. Bowser's Bair clanks out a Max Power Aura Sphere. I will do some testing with DDD though. Basically I'm looking for defensive options Heavies can take. Since they need all the help they can get.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Well guess what. Bowser's Bair clanks out a Max Power Aura Sphere.
Except it doesn't. From 177% forward, fully charged Aura Sphere clanks out Bowser's bair instead and then hits him.

Moreover, I don't even know how you'd fail to kill a Lucario before 190% playing as Bowser or Dedede, so this shouldn't even be a point of concern.

Dedede's nair will clank it until 109%, for what it's worth.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Except it doesn't. From 177% forward, fully charged Aura Sphere clanks out Bowser's bair instead and then hits him.

Moreover, I don't even know how you'd fail to kill a Lucario before 190% playing as Bowser or Dedede, so this shouldn't even be a point of concern.

Dedede's nair will clank it until 109%, for what it's worth.
Oh 177% onward? I'll have to try that out. Lucario is usually long gone before then. Thanks for the heads up.

Will do testing with Nair. If the hitbox is huge I can see a lot of projectiles against DDD becoming nothing to worry about.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I honestly don't care if Dedesy is low on the tiers. Hell, make him #49. I know how to play with him, and I love doing so. All that changes is the amount of salt my opponent applies to himself after getting beaten by a low tier.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm not gonna drop him either, but I will keep a pocket character or two to handle match ups I don't think Dedede is up to snuff for.

I definitely feel Dedede is pretty solid, but he has a few glaring weaknesses that keeps him from being as useful in most match ups as I'd like.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I also have a Pocket Character which is Diddy Kong, and I plan to also use Mewtwo when he comes out just because I like the character so much. But for most of my match ups I'll be sticking with Dedede since I know most match ups best with him.

Top Bottom