• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dashdance/hopdance

Xrmy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2964-8784-4472
I love squirtle. He's super slippery and evasive, but my question regards dashdancing in neutral.

While squirtle does not have an ordinary dashdance by any means, does anyone use his weird hopping dashdance thing? I find it pretty useful in neutral as a mixup to be ready for a shellshift or wavedash at anytime.

Do you guys use this? If so, when/how is it best used. If not, why not?

Discuss.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I'm not too sure what you mean, are you talking about the initial dash animation?

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
If your talkin about squirtle's dash dance, I would say that you should use it, but definitely don't rely on it for spacing or baiting approaches like Marth and Falcon can do because Squirtle's dash dance is kinda small. Basically the only time I dash dance with Squirtle is when i'm trying to follow a tech chase.

edit: Now that I think about it, if im dashdancing, I usually mix in a lot of wavedashes too because they move squirtle a whole lot more.

Last edited:

Xrmy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2964-8784-4472
Gotcha. This was my question, because you can't dashdance with squirtle like the rest of the cast due to shell shift its a bit slower.

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
Well, that's not exactly true. Squirtle can dashdance normally like the rest of the cast, it's just that he basically just bounds back and forth in the same spot. Nevertheless, it does have a really good use - during a techchase you can dashdance into a shellshift -> grab/dsmash/usmash/whatever.

Clarification edit - use it to techchase, not space.

Last edited:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I dashdance all the time and find it really good. I'll use it to feint approaches and do a quick retreat and cancel with stuff like a quick side-b or spaced bairs. Of course it's great during techchases too.

If I had recent videos I'd link you to them, if you don't care about quality feel free to look me up on Youtube, but most of my videos are pretty bad compared to now.

Xrmy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2964-8784-4472
Jeez I must be too slow, I cannot do it consistently.

I was more talking about his slower dashdance(?) where he does almost his whole initial dash then dashes back, sort of slowly hopping a sizeable distance over and over. Doesn't seem to have too much use.

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
You might just be dashing back and forth - letting the animation run it's course both ways - instead of actually dashdancing.

Top Bottom