• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Dancing and Wavedashing

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Wario doesn't have a ton of uses for his wavedash other than grabbing the ledge, getting back on stage, or wavelanding. Wario usually would prefer to weave around in the air with his insane aerial mobility.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, so... dash dancing is not for flash. It can be, but it's primarily used to bait your opponent. You keep your distance from them, dashing in and out of their range, baiting them to attack you and give you an opening while you dash away, then move back in to punish. Wario does not have a fast dash, therefore his dash dance is not particularly useful. It works fine against characters even slower than Wario, but otherwise, not so much. Wario has that ridiculous aerial mobility, and he's much better off weaving in and out of his opponents range in the air, baiting them to come after him up there.

His WD is also useful OOS at times. His grab range is really good and his throw game is amazing (not in a conventional sense, but it is amazing nonetheless). So, WDOOS to grab can be the only thing Wario can punish some attacks with. Oftentimes, I find that after I shield your average smash attack, the shield knockback pushes me just to that line where I can WDOOS and grab them just before they can jab and cut me off or dash away.

Vi¢e

Smash Rookie
Yeah, so... dash dancing is not for flash. It can be, but it's primarily used to bait your opponent. You keep your distance from them, dashing in and out of their range, baiting them to attack you and give you an opening while you dash away, then move back in to punish. Wario does not have a fast dash, therefore his dash dance is not particularly useful. It works fine against characters even slower than Wario, but otherwise, not so much. Wario has that ridiculous aerial mobility, and he's much better off weaving in and out of his opponents range in the air, baiting them to come after him up there.

His WD is also useful OOS at times. His grab range is really good and his throw game is amazing (not in a conventional sense, but it is amazing nonetheless). So, WDOOS to grab can be the only thing Wario can punish some attacks with. Oftentimes, I find that after I shield your average smash attack, the shield knockback pushes me just to that line where I can WDOOS and grab them just before they can jab and cut me off or dash away.
Oh, so dash dancing with Wario isn't all that useful. Gotcha.
And about using wavedash out of shield to grab...wouldn't it be better to just dash and do a jump cancelled grab?

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Oh, so dash dancing with Wario isn't all that useful. Gotcha.
And about using wavedash out of shield to grab...wouldn't it be better to just dash and do a jump cancelled grab?
Not really as far as my experience goes. I'm pretty sure it takes longer to drop your shield and then dash and JC grab than it does to cancel your shield with jump and then cancel that jump with a WD and then grab. Obviously it's all one fluid motion, but Wario's dash isn't all that hot, so WDOOS grab should get your grab out there faster.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
F-Air's duration is short enough where a shorthop F-Air can lead into a waveland afterward, so it can be alright for a bit of extra speed for chasing or misdirection.

Top Bottom