• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dairantou Smash Brothers 64

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
So I finally got my copy of Dairantou Smash Brothers 64 from Japan today. Thought I’d share the whole experience with pictures.

Picture 1 is of the outer packaging that was shipped all the way from Japan:

Picture 2 is of the corrugated sleeve (the first layer of protection):

Picture 3 is the bubble wrap (2nd layer of protection):

Picture 4 is of the original back of the cartridge. Time to do some modding: :chuckle:

Picture 5 is the back after I swapped it with a US cartridge. I used Turok as a donor in case anyone is interested:

Picture 6 is of the Japanese Smash Bros. * Dairantou Smash Brothers 64 * and the American version along with the tool I used to swap backs:

Cool, huh?

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
No original cardboard box? Nor instructions? :( I got an adapter so didn't have to mess with the cartridge. Fun game!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The price was right

No original cardboard box? Nor instructions? :( I got an adapter so didn't have to mess with the cartridge. Fun game!
I have an adapter too however I find it easier to just modify the cartridges.

Sadly I didn’t get a box or instruction booklet but that would have cost a lot more. Beside I have all that for my US version. :)

I really just wanted the game since it has different punch and beam sword sound effects.

My cartridge still had two characters to be unlocked when I got it. Didn’t take me long to get Luigi and now I’ll start working on getting Ness.

Battlecow

Play to Win
lol. Pretty into this, are we?

Seriously though, that's interesting. I've never seen the cover art before.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Very nice, Malva00!

Ok so I unlocked Ness and have broken all the targets with every character except Purin (Jigglypuff). For some strange reason I’m having a real hard time with that and I don’t remember it being that hard in the US version. :mad:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I bet you don't have the golden cart version of Ocarina of Time!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I bet you don't have the golden cart version of Ocarina of Time!
Nope just the standard Zelda titles for the Nintendo 64.

Although I do own the extremely rare Clayfighter 63&1/3: Sculptor’s Cut and the highly sought after Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
my copy of dairantou smash bros came in the mail today too.

clayfighter is ill. i still have that too i think.

i want a copy of sin and punishment

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Very nice, Malva00!

Ok so I unlocked Ness and have broken all the targets with every character except Purin (Jigglypuff). For some strange reason I’m having a real hard time with that and I don’t remember it being that hard in the US version. :mad:
Use Fair on each one of your jumps if you're having trouble getting far enough.

smakis

Smash Ace
iirc its much easier to just mod your n 64, just unscrew and remove two small blocks in the corners or something like that

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
iirc its much easier to just mod your n 64, just unscrew and remove two small blocks in the corners or something like that
replacing the back is two screws and it snaps on. its much easier than augmenting the dust guard if you don't plan on getting a lot of import games. i have 2 copies of pokemon snap (everyone should) so i just switched the back on one.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Nintendonistas

lol. Pretty into this, are we?
I'll show you obsessive-compulsive.

Oh and I just picked up another one a few days ago. Got it with an original Playstation, two N64’s controllers (ones Atomic Black :chuckle:) and Mario Kart 64 for just 20 bucks. It was too good a deal to pass up! Sure both the PSX and the N64 are dusty as heck and one of the controllers has zero life left in the stick (fortunately it’s the standard grey one) but there’s nothing I can’t restore to near perfection.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Those expansion packs are sexy
i lol'd

speaking of which, does using the expansion pack change anything on ssb? it's not listed as compatible title for the exp but i've heard it helps run 4p and items and such, any truth behind this?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
speaking of which, does using the expansion pack change anything on ssb? it's not listed as compatible title for the exp but i've heard it helps run 4p and items and such, any truth behind this?
Sadly the N64 Expansion Pak doesn’t enhance Super Smash Bros. in any way which is surprising since the game came out relatively late in the Nintendo 64’s life cycle.

Top Bottom