• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair Spike...with Roy!?

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
For the longest time, I thought that Roy only had two spikes. That is, the usmash and that one hit of the DED. Both of these moves are rather useless as spikes, though, because of how unwieldly they are. However, I've found a way to spike with Roy's down aerial. This is quite possibly already known about, and it's quite likely that I just was misinformed, but nonetheless, it couldn't hurt to check. The only time that I'm able to get it to work is if they hit the hilt of the sword, usually from above Roy. The most effective method I've found is to use it right when the other character is inside of Roy, so I'm assuming it's a pretty small hitbox.

If this is new, or old, or useful or useless, please let me know.

Edit: Yeah, after combing the boards again, I found out that this indeed was known about. My fault.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The hitbox is kind of small but I've found the general area is around his head. If you go into training and check it in slo-mo (jumping computers work well) you will see that he actually swipes at the same height of his head first; that is the only point of contact with the opponent that I have found to spike them.

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
Just to be sure, I popped in AR and loaded up the debug menu. Yes, you're exactly right - there's a hitbox in Roy's head. presumably, that's the spiking hitbox.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Don't try to use Dair as a spike to actually KO someone if you value that particular stock. Seriously.

In fact, don't try to spike to KO people with Roy in general. Not efficient/easy.

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
a layout of his spikes:

1. Down Air for a spike similar to marths but needs 2 be by the hilt.

2. Third Up B move is a spike if hit near the base.

3. Up A on the ground Is a powerful spike that sends down with flames.

Most useful out of them all in general would be the third Up B combo chain; especially on the edge.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
2. Third Up B move is a spike if hit near the base.

Most useful out of them all in general would be the third Up B combo chain; especially on the edge.
That's not a spike, it's a meteor. I just did it against a cpu Fox and he cancelled it with his upB.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
See, some people use "Spike" interchangeably with "meteor"... only Roy's Up smash is a "true spike"... I think.

Counter is funny though.

Top Bottom