• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair Meteor Smashing Hitbox?

• Thread starter Deleted member 269706
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 269706

So I've been playing a lot of Rosalina lately and I've been getting a fair amount of spikes on my enemies. I've actually been doing this little trick where I spike them into the stage (while their standing on it), and while they are stuck in the phases of hitstun, I set off a Usmash or Fsmash. I've pulled this off a numerous amount of times, but the problem is, I'm not entirely sure how I've been doing it. You see, I can't seem to consistently hit the meteor smash hitbox... I've been experimenting with it in training, but still have had no luck. So can anyone help me come to a better understanding of where the spiking hitbox is? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I'm a big fan of Rosalina's spike as well, and from personal experience, it's more a matter of when, as opposed to where. As posted here,

http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalina-and-lumas-frame-data.383688/

the spiking hitbox is between frames 19-23 ( if I'm reading the info right that is ), so it's just learning the timing by heart, and ensuring the opponent is below you during those few short moments. To practice, I'd recommend going into training mode on a stage with uneven platforms ( like battlefield ), then setting a CPU on a lower platform and have them jump on loop. It'll give you a feel for lining up the hitbox on a more practical target.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I'm a big fan of Rosalina's spike as well, and from personal experience, it's more a matter of when, as opposed to where. As posted here,

http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalina-and-lumas-frame-data.383688/

the spiking hitbox is between frames 19-23 ( if I'm reading the info right that is ), so it's just learning the timing by heart, and ensuring the opponent is below you during those few short moments. To practice, I'd recommend going into training mode on a stage with uneven platforms ( like battlefield ), then setting a CPU on a lower platform and have them jump on loop. It'll give you a feel for lining up the hitbox on a more practical target.
Appreciate the help! I never even thought to check the frame data, I figured it had to do with the positioning! Ah, well I appreciate you clearing that up for me! Also appreciate the practice method, it's already shown to help.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Gotta love Rosalina. Where hitting a sourspot does the most damage, and missing the spike will likely still kill them off the side. Down air is such a win / win / win move ( oh, and the low knockback on the soursest spot really only makes them drift down in hitstun, still good! ). This move alone makes me upset when I see Rosalinas never attempt offstage edgeguards, so much of the character not being used.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Maybe it's not accurate for me to call that 8% hitbox a sourspot. It does technically hit the hardest, even if it's not the most favorable hitbox.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The funny thing is, the second hitbox only truly guarantees KOs if the target's damage is nearing 500%. Hitboxes 1 and 3 can KO sooner, assuming that there's ground beneath the target.

Anyway, the down aerial doesn't actually have any sourspots, as the amount of damage it deals is highly dependent on how far away the ring is from Rosalina after being executed.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I love D-airs. I toss them out with no mercy. Even if you don't get Frame 19, the next hitbox (worst sour spot) still stalls them and allows for recovery.

D

Deleted member 269706

So in that table that @ DanGR DanGR was nice enough to post, which one is the "soft spike"? You know, the one that still sends them downwards, just not as a spike?

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
that would be sourspot 1
@Rawkstar
no that frame of dair does not send them down at all, it usually moves them in a horizontal trajectory.
it's frames 24-26 i believe. 27-33 barely does anything except temporarily stun your opponent, which does drop them a bit in the air. it's one of those.

Top Bottom