• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DAE feel like Toon Link is OP, or am I just bad?

ConiK

Smash Rookie
NNID
SowhaK
3DS FC
2208-6066-7177
I can't seem to beat a Toon Link no matter what I do, and he frustrates me far more than any other character in the game. I can't seem to find a real weakness to him. Is anyone else having the same problem I am and if not maybe a few tips to dealing with him?

ConiK

Smash Rookie
NNID
SowhaK
3DS FC
2208-6066-7177
The constant cycle of boomerang, arrow, bomb. If you try and go under him he just dairs, if you're anywhere near him he can land a powerful combo, if you're up above him he can up smash which is a hard move to beat. There's pretty much no angle you can attack him from it feels like, he's fast too which sucks considering how powerful his moves are.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I don't main TLink but I play him. If you know he's gonna d-air, bait it out and attack after he lands. It has a decent amount of landing lag so you can punish him accordingly. His u-smash is something you can just bait out as well if you know he's gonna do it. He's vulnerable while pulling out his bomb and high chance will be if you approach him, he'll throw it at you. So you can either spot dodge, roll, or block, and grab the bomb to throw back at him. You can easily guard and jump over his arrows and boomerang. I recommend blocking the boomerang and not dodging or spot dodging. Why? Because it comes back and can screw you over if you forget about it.

There have been plenty of people I've fought online that's been able to get pass my projectile game, so he's not op. Maybe you just need some practice against someone on here that uses TLink to help familiarize yourself with him.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I don't main TLink but I play him. If you know he's gonna d-air, bait it out and attack after he lands. It has a decent amount of landing lag so you can punish him accordingly. His u-smash is something you can just bait out as well if you know he's gonna do it. He's vulnerable while pulling out his bomb and high chance will be if you approach him, he'll throw it at you. So you can either spot dodge, roll, or block, and grab the bomb to throw back at him. You can easily guard and jump over his arrows and boomerang. I recommend blocking the boomerang and not dodging or spot dodging. Why? Because it comes back and can screw you over if you forget about it.

There have been plenty of people I've fought online that's been able to get pass my projectile game, so he's not op. Maybe you just need some practice against someone on here that uses TLink to help familiarize yourself with him.
None of tinks aerials have lag if they down-b cancel though.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Not all TLinks online think about doing that, though.
You're trying to tell him weaknesses of a character not habits of online users. Presenting the idea that you can bait aerials as a weakness to tink is bad information when the lag of all of his aerials is instantly cancelable by a projectile that i'm pretty sure can set up for kills.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
You're trying to tell him weaknesses of a character not habits of online users. Presenting the idea that you can bait aerials as a weakness to tink is bad information when the lag of all of his aerials is instantly cancelable by a projectile that i'm pretty sure can set up for kills.
All I said was his d-air has a lot of landing lag. If a TLink is holding a bomb while he's executing a d-air, yes the smart thing to do would be to stay clear of him. What I said would be in a case that the TLink is not holding a bomb to cancel his landing lag. And I didn't say all aerials if you didn't catch that, all I mentioned was his d-air. Don't be quick to assume that what I stated goes for all of his aerials.

If you want to go ahead and correct me, go ahead and so be it. Though make sure you read all that I posted. I was just adding my 2 cents in on the matter.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter if you referenced it specifically or not, none of his aerials have landing lag in a situation that tinks make sure they are in a vast majority of the time. Dair has so much lag that no decent tink is going to dair without a bomb.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
It doesn't matter if you referenced it specifically or not, none of his aerials have landing lag in a situation that tinks make sure they are in a vast majority of the time. Dair has so much lag that no decent tink is going to dair without a bomb.
In a way, it does matter. You have to remember that not all TLinks are going to be decent and skilled enough to even think about making sure they have a bomb in hand before using a d-air. OP didn't specify so I was giving him a general idea. If OP ever responds or anything to me, or brings up more questions, then I would go into more depth with as much as I know of TLink. Again, as OP is talking about online, you match up against good skilled players, and unskilled scrubby players, I was just giving a general idea.

I'm not going to sit up here and argue over something so trivial so you can keep nitpicking at one thing I said. Some TLinks will have a bomb in hand before using d-air, some won't. Depends on their skill level. Not everyone is going to be a pro at using said character.

Correct me if you want, continue this conversation if you want, add more to what I said if you want, downplay if you want, etc. I'm just gonna stop so I don't end up saying something that could give me a warning.

D

Deleted member

I take it you main DHD and Villager? I haven't had much experience against Villager, but DHD just seems to be an easy match-up for TL. TL really isn't that good of a character, and was nerfed quite a bit despite having been only mid tier in Brawl. Characters that can out-camp TL, or are very good at spacing and being aggressive can beat TL very easily. TL is pretty unpopular, so he shouldn't be much of an issue for you anyway, but if you really want to deal with him that badly then picking up someone like Yoshi should help you.

D

Deleted member

There's this button called shield and I highly suggest using it.

ConiK

Smash Rookie
NNID
SowhaK
3DS FC
2208-6066-7177
Thanks for the tips guys, also TLink seems to be pretty popular to me. I get matched up against plenty of Toon Links every day, maybe I'm just unlucky... but thanks again, appreciate the help.

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046

the bit in bold is essential.
i main link/toon link and i can't tell you how many people i KO because they forget about the boomerang.
with link the gale brings them close for an unsuspecting smash
with toon link the damage from the boomerang return gives an opening for a strong smash
most toon link players won't bomb-cancel with his Dair and the lag on that it painful in a fast, closely-matched game.

toon link is by no means a strong character.
he can tot up damage with his projectiles if you aren't careful, but his dash attack is not a finish (like link's is).
if he gets you to high damage, beware of his backwards throw; it KOs at 100% or higher if you're near the end of the platform.

Top Bottom