• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dacus

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Yes wario's dacus is a good tool in his arsenal, and you should be using it. Its a good gap closer when on the ground, and it also can catch people during tech chases. I personally think you should use it sparingly though, as its not the greatest on shield, and it can get stuffed fairly easily if the opponent sees it coming and puts out a hitbox.

Best times to use it imo are during tech chase situations, or punishing a whiffed move on their part. You can sometimes approach with it, since its pretty fast and covers so much distance, but like I said earlier, because it can get stuffed pretty easily and its advantage on shield is kinda meh, you'll have to be careful with it. More than likely you'll have to dash dance a bit to make this effective, unless you completely surprise them lol.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
f-throw dacus is a pretty neat combo at low percents :>

Whoami40

Smash Rookie
Hey guys im just now learning how to Dacus and sometimes (not everytime) when I pull one off It seems like my dash attack will come out for a split second hit them then the Dacus will just move along with them and hit them. Is this just the first hit box of the moving upsmash or what?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I can not for the life of me figure out the timing on DACUS. It is not to do upsmash right as quick as possible after Dash attack because speed is not the answer here.

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
This is pure conjecture here, but based on a few things:
- Wario's dacus has a 2 frame execution window, according to this thread
- it is possible for Wario to perform a "gatling combo" where a dacus is performed after the hitboxes of dash attack come out
- it is also possible for Wario to dacus without gatling comboing, meaning a dacus can be performed before the hitboxes of dash attack come out
- the first hitboxes of dash attack come out on frame 4
I'm going to assume that the window of execution for Wario's dacus is frames 3 and 4 of dash attack.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Use an Attack button instead of the Grab button; it gives you an extra frame to do it with. I set my R to Attack for that reason, and I reset my controller with R partially pressed so that it only registers when I press it all the way down.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I read the thread Sixsaw linked and have been having some success with DACUS now. I prefer using Z over attack button as it feels way more natural on the fingers. I will just need to be better at it, which is fine with me.

Cold-Water Wash

Smash Cadet
The bendy part of a sink in Saratoga Springs, NY
Use an Attack button instead of the Grab button; it gives you an extra frame to do it with. I set my R to Attack for that reason, and I reset my controller with R partially pressed so that it only registers when I press it all the way down.
How do you manage that? I only know of the basic brawl-style control configuration.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
For some reason (I think it's because the Grab button doesn't input Attack [since it's Shield+Attack] for a frame), the Grab button makes DACUSing require a stricter timing.

As for the controller reset thing, it's how you hold X, Y, and Start for a couple seconds to reset the controller, much like how people unplug and plug their controller when the Control Stick is set in the wrong way. If you hold R down partially (up to right before the full "click" happens) while you reset it, R will not register on light presses, so you have to press it all the way to get an input (which is how it worked in Brawl).

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
For some reason (I think it's because the Grab button doesn't input Attack [since it's Shield+Attack] for a frame), the Grab button makes DACUSing require a stricter timing.

As for the controller reset thing, it's how you hold X, Y, and Start for a couple seconds to reset the controller, much like how people unplug and plug their controller when the Control Stick is set in the wrong way. If you hold R down partially (up to right before the full "click" happens) while you reset it, R will not register on light presses, so you have to press it all the way to get an input (which is how it worked in Brawl).
Is there any way you know of to have a similar 'reset' effect on the Classic Controller Pro?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You could probably accomplish the same thing by holding that button down partially as you sync the Wiimote or (maybe) as you plug the CC into the Wiimote, but I have no way to confirm it.

The same could be done with a GameCube controller by plugging it in while you hold a trigger down partially. The game registers that position as "neutral/untouched," so it's not until you go past that level of pressure that the game reacts to it. That's why people have to reset their controllers in the first place when the Control Stick is registered in a weird position at neutral; when it was plugged in, the Control Stick was facing a different direction, which caused the game to consider that to be neutral.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the classic controller has digital triggers so that isn't necessary

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
the classic controller has digital triggers so that isn't necessary
If I'm reading this correctly, that is not so--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Controller#Features

The Classic Controller is plugged into the Wii Remote in order to be used. It features two analog sticks, a D-pad, face buttons labeled "a", "b", "x" and "y", similar to that of a standard SNES controller. Analog shoulder buttons labeled "L" and "R", and two digital "Z" buttons (labeled "ZL" and "ZR") are located more closely to the center axis on their respective sides.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I think he might be implying that you could remap the shoulders to the Z-shoulders. I don't visit the button config screen often, but does it detect classic controllers? If not, there probably isn't a way to remap to both Z axes.

Jreed420

Smash Cadet
I've honestly been working on Dacus a lot and what I've been doing with it is pretty cool I'll catch someone with a nair or a fair at a decent precent where they don't go too too far and catch them in the air with Dacus into a waft easy kill also just simply dash dancing baiting an attack from ur opponent is awesome because of the ground Dacus covers is amazing not to mention the priority of warios up smash the only problem like was mentioned eairler it's extremely punishable if shielded

Top Bottom