• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D3 Competitive Stage Choices Agaisnt Certain Characters

b@llz

Smash Rookie
What do yall think would be the best stage against certain characters competitively?
Choices: FD, BF, Smashville, Town and city, halberd, delfino, lylat, castle siege, duck hunt
IMO
Sheik - FD
Diddy - Smashville
Rosa - FD
ZSS - FD
Ness - Smashville
Fox - FD
Sonic - Smashville
Yoshi - Castle Siege, FD
Any character that can reflect gordos with projectiles - FD/Smashville
best stages D3 - FD, Smashville, Duck Hunt
worse stages for D3 - lylat hands down, halberd, delfino, town and city, battlefield
Platforms screw D3 pretty hard from my experience, and most of my kills r usually not off the top so the low ceiling stages r not favored.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
DDD actually likes platforms, otherwise he'd just get juggled to death. He also likes to pressure people standing on them with his Aerials, forcing them to shield or attempt dodging while staying pretty safe himself. Besides that, standing under platforms with opponents above you is good: they either move and get stuck on it, or fall through it and become predictable.

And Gordo's awkward behavior on Lylat is actually beneficial for us.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It depends on the character, but I generally don't really like FD. It being flat makes approaching all the more annoying. Especially against characters with good/annoying projectiles.

kyokoro is right.
Platforms are great.~
They allow for approaching mix-ups which just aren't there when you don't have them. And, honestly, up-air is one of Dedede's best moves. The more opportunities we have to pressure with it the better.
Platforms also allow you to sometimes throw Gordo out safely from a position where, if it's reflected, it won't hit you back.
Personally, I really like Delfino. The multiple layouts allow for many mixups, and opportunities to use Gordo interestingly and safely.

Lylat takes some adapting.
If you're not completely comfortable with recovering with that dang ledge (Dedede's recovery is especially vulnerable to it), then it's best to avoid it.
There's neat shenanigans to be had, though, with the slopes. Gordo gets wonky on slopes. It's worth overcoming the awkwardness of the ledge, honestly.

b@llz

Smash Rookie
Against characters that cant juggle u well, yea platforms r great for D3. Against like Diddy sheik Zss ness, pretty sure they make more use of the platforms then D3.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
In no way is Lylat Cruise ever beneficial to Dedede. Ever. It's way too easy to bonk your head, even if you have perfect accuracy. The whole "unpredictable" Gordo thing doesn't really fly against experienced players.

Smashville and Town & City are great choices. They allow Dedede to space properly while also avoiding projectile spam thanks to the shifting platforms. And unlike Battlefield, he can't be juggled endlessly if he gets stuck. I always pick them.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
What about 3DS stages? As someone who only owns that version I feel a lil' left out of these conversations.
From what I recall, FD, Battlefield, Yoshis Island and Lumiose City are legal stages on that one. I'm guessing the latter two are pretty solid for Triple-De.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Smashville is my absolute favorite D3 stage.

Well.. actually, it's my favorite stage in general. Omega stages should've been smashville with different backgrounds, not FD imo. D3 also does pretty well on Battlefield, but FD should be avoided against almost all characters.

Lylat should be avoided, and really I don't like Halberd for D3 much either. While up air will KO earlier, you will also be KOed much earlier by characters that otherwise struggle to put the nail in D3's coffin (sonic, diddy, rosalina)

Duck Hunt is a pretty safe counterpick for D3. High ceiling, Gordos get lost in the grass/other stuff going on, and you can apply tons of pressure if people get caught on the bush or in the tree.

Town & City is almost as good as Smashville, but does get annoying against projectile spam when the platforms scroll away. Go BF instead.

Delfino is kinda scary, as it alternates between walk-offs and low ceilings. With our big target and poor mobility, not the best choice but otherwise I wouldn't be too terrified to be taken here.

Castle Siege is pretty meh for D3 too. Form 1 is good, form 2 is meh, form 3 is bad. I wouldn't pick it.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
FD/Omega is usually my go-to. I'm really just used to it. I mean, what is there really to say? It's FD. It's simple. No bull****. Fight.

Battlefield is really MU-based for me. If it's a big/slow character or someone inexperienced, I like Battlefield. But it's pretty risky otherwise.

I dislike Smashville. It's not necessarily bad for the Dedes, and while it is helpful towards him in some aspects, it's nothing worth counterpicking over. I feel it works more for most other characters than it does for him.

My personal favorite counterpick stage is definitely Delfino Plaza. I'm somewhat surprised that you guys don't like it. The platforms are just low enough for us to hit from under, and too high for smaller characters to do the same. Also, the gordo shenanigans on that stage are just bonkers. Also, while I do understand the weird walk-offs and the low ceiling, I feel it is more advantageous for us, since we can get that strong hit in and therefore, that easier KO.

Lylat? Hahahahaha good one. It's actually a great stage in my opinion. to immediately ban.

Duck Hunt seems like a good stage for Dedede. Good stuff all-around and nothing excessively not in his favor. Nothing else I can really say, as I've never thought to go there.

Town&City... Eugh... I don't know. I just have this weird bias against Animal Crossing stages. I really like the 7:00 am Sunny song though.

What about 3DS stages? As someone who only owns that version I feel a lil' left out of these conversations.
From what I recall, FD, Battlefield, Yoshis Island and Lumiose City are legal stages on that one. I'm guessing the latter two are pretty solid for Triple-De.
I got you man.
I'm gonna go with the Hypest legality set because that's what I go by.

FD and Battlefield see above.

Prism Tower is one of my favorites. Really nice spaced out platforms. It works as long as you know the rotation.

Brinstar is a tricky subject. It works absolute wonders on characters that use a lot of projectiles. Other than that, it feels too cramped for the Dedes, and I back away from this one.

I really dislike Tomodachi Life for kind of the same reason I don't like Brinstar. It's so cramped, and it's hard to pull off air combos and such when you're not on the top. I don't like this one either.

Arena Ferox, I have honestly never once played. It always gets banned. It doesn't seem like a good stage.

Yoshi's Island is one of my least favorites. It's heaven for smaller characters and those who can shorthop. It's hard to pull off anything here.

-

Now to wait for everyone to tell me how stupid I am

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I honestly stopped banning Lylat because no one else wants to play on it either
I always seem to have to immediately.
Players who take time to research the basics of every character usually try to pick Lylat just because they know what it does to Dedede.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The only reason I pick Tomodachi Life is when my opponent keeps reflecting Gordos, so I just keep shifting floors to annoy the heck out my opponent. Incredibly funny. Not sue how much effective though.

Brinstar is Matchup-based.

And YI:B and Arena Ferox are meh for DDD. Not exceptionally good, but nothing to lose either.

Top Bottom