• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D-Special as Shield Bait?

puffypalutena

Smash Cadet
NNID
PuffyPalutena
3DS FC
1736-0501-7736
I've been playing Duck Hunt awhile now, and I notice whenever I use D-Special, people tend to shield. Now when I play Duck Hunt occasionally, I use D-Special to make them shield, then I grab them, let them get shot, and I throw. I wonder if that is useful when playing him? :D

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I've been playing Duck Hunt awhile now, and I notice whenever I use D-Special, people tend to shield. Now when I play Duck Hunt occasionally, I use D-Special to make them shield, then I grab them, let them get shot, and I throw. I wonder if that is useful when playing him? :D
That's the idea! Most of Duck Hunt is pressure/mindgames and conditioning the opponent to shield when you want them too. Duck Hunts grab range is fantastic too, so you can capitalize on that! That's part of the appeal of the character for me. Getting to dictate what the opponent does if they're not sure what to do against Duck Hunt.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Gunman to grab is a great starter, but be warned, opponents who are experienced to that approach will spot dodge when they think you're going to do it (or alternatively, roll dodge), which given the slight delay on grab, is punishable. If they spot dodge, you have to swap it for a multi-hit frisbee, and if they roll dodge, you have to replace your technique with a bluff grab (basically you run at them then roll dodge into the position you think they're going ready to rapid light jab attack).

That's the idea! Most of Duck Hunt is pressure/mindgames and conditioning the opponent to shield when you want them too. Duck Hunts grab range is fantastic too, so you can capitalize on that! That's part of the appeal of the character for me. Getting to dictate what the opponent does if they're not sure what to do against Duck Hunt.
The grab range also extends to his item pickup, which in no item matches at first seems 'useless', but when you realise mechakoopa, the vegetable, ROB's spinning top and Diddy's banana skin (besides others) are all items, it suddenly becomes a nice counter-skill - you can usually grab the items and throw them back to setup additional combos. With the exception of ROB's top, which I like to keep to troll ROBs as they can't fire it when it's already deployed.

Muwaaahahahahahaaa

Top Bottom