• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cutting Off a Finger is More Constructive than For Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
I really just feel the need to put as much emphasis on this point as possible: For Glory is the worst thing to ever be added to Smash. Nintendo's dail-up servers debilitate any meaningful use of shields, tight combos, and ATs, whilst serving as positive reinforcement to the likes of flowchart Link, unsafe aerial/dashing approaches, and simple projectile or smash spamming. Couple that with the laziest possible adherence to the idea of "appropriate competitive stages" in only allowing for one of the single best stages for campy play, with no platforms to allow for taking positional advantages, and you really just end up fighting the circumstances rather than the player who spawns across from you.

In any case, I've got 9 fingers that're in working, unmangled order after a complicated series of events involving a crossbow, and, I've got to say, it didn't hurt my progress in Smash nearly as much. Sure, I can't do ATs that involve remapping triggers, and I've weirdly ended up with better control on 3ds, but... I still learned to do new combos (which are pointless on FG), I improved my shield timing and follow-ups (neither of which function on FG), and I learned to cut out panic smashes and unsafe aerial approaches (which, on FG, are almost exclusively benefits).

Do I recommend cutting off a finger? No-- the hostpital bills are staggering, they have to pull out chunks of bone with a pair of pliers, and the painkillers really don't work. But I'd sooner repeat that mistake than attempt to improve at this game by playing it online. Least of all in For Glory. Which is really a shame, as I do sincerely love the feeling of discovering new strings and setups, of learning to utilize strange new techs, and of polishing my movement, spacing, and mixups... But there just isn't anyone meaningful to play against locally (as I'm in a rural area), and fiber optics still aren't enough to solve Nintendo's sadistic internet infrastructure.

As it stands, all I can think to do is hope for Smash to get a port to the Switch-- and to further hope that the Switch manages to be less garbage for multiplayer gaming. I've tried playing with people more directly online, but between cliquey BS, only getting a handful of rounds in, lacking communication, and egotistical garbage interfering with any attempt to actually practice, it... just isn't enough. Especially when Nintendo's terrifying netcode looms overhead like the god damn batman.

If there's any sincere advice as to what to do at this point, I'm certainly all ears. But the circumstances of my isolate locale after my relatively recent, unavoidable move is looking like an undeniable end to my progress. At the end of the day, there are some things that effort alone just can't overcome-- I certainly had to learn that when my afformentioned minor amputation brought my progress in Starcraft to an abrupt end.

Um... didn't actually intend to end on such a downer note-- this post is looking very "stages of grief", in retrospect. In any case, I really appreciate how reading up on things here has as least given me another outlet for my love for Smash. Even if it looks like I'll never really be able to properly play it. So... thank you. Really. This place has been a comfort ever since I got serious with Melee, and it's always gotten my hyped to try new combos, techs, and tactics.

I, uh... yeah... I can't really come up with a less melancholy spin to end on. Sorry. Normally, I'm better with finishing with more of a punchline. Even for me, though, this post is way too damn long. So... I'll just take my not-so-graceful bow out, then. This has all been a bit too stream-of-consciousness anyways. ^^"

Edit: Right! A tl;dr... Do not play For Glory. EVER. If you have no other options for multiplayer, it is a false hope that leads only to despair-- and I really cannot put too fine a point on that.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Yeah FG isn't a good method of training but what I will say FG is a alright method is getting a feel for characters. The ability to quickly play anyone on demand can quickly get a player a general idea on many different character playstyles and lead to player growth. Granted for reasons you listed it's not to be used primarily to practice.

Being that smash is a 2+ player game sadly unless you find players close enough to play with your limited in options to improve, that's just how local multiplayer games are. You best alternative would be to try Smashladder/Anthers. It's a match making service for online play but the people who sign up for it are more serious about trying to improve and play competitively and therefore your likely to run into better internet connections and better players on there.

VGFan95

Elemental Summoner
For Glory is the worst thing to ever be added to Smash.
Actually, For Glory shows a step in the right direction. Sure it needs a lot of improvement, but to say its the worst thing ever is ludicrous. Thousands of people are still playing smash because of For Glory mode. The lag and errors will go away as they get better at providing their online services. Many top Brawl and Wii U players use or have used For Glory as training. Also keep in mind that Omega stages are much more popular in Japan.

I suggest you take a look at the Top 10 Feature Requests for smash, and provide your thoughts for improvement there. Suggesting improvement goes a lot farther than making a rant post like this.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe you sat here and made a whole post whining about a game type mode. Jezus.

Yes, most will agree the mode should feature legal stages instead of just FD, but could you really blame them?
The whole community had the meme "Fox only, No items, Final Destination" ever since Brawl, so Nintendo took it pretty seriously when they tried to look for some suggestions.

Are you complaining about players and the way they play? Because that will honestly get you nowhere. Time to adapt.
If you want a ranking system, by all means, that's something I would want too.

I'm kinda of tired at this point with the whole net code being "bad" BS.
The net code, specially in this game compared to the last predecessor, Brawl, is great and up to par. Online for fighting games like these are allot harder to coordinate than people think.
In shooting games, it's little to non noticeable to any lag or delay(Not the screen freezing), delay/lag as in when you shot or hit someone physical it's not as instant as it would be in LAN.
Same goes for Racers, maybe a little bit more or less noticeable.
These never freeze because they don't have constant interaction with each other, so they don't have it depending on constant coordination.
Fighting games however are a whole new story since they have to depend on that constant interaction.
So depending on the connection, or where you live, the quality connection depends on the outcome of the game. It's either you or your opponent. Street Fighter, MVC3, Mortal Kombat, and etc. are fighters that also have lag, constant interaction.

If For Glory is that bad, then go play on anthers. Honestly though, in my opinion the community shows it's ass on there more than they do in FG. The chatting on Anther's is cancer.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Here's my advice. Stop whining.
For Glory is the worst thing to ever be added to Smash
Not even close. I don't get you people who think that adding a more serious competitive mode online is bad thing, it may have been badly implemented, sure, but not the worst thing to ever happen to Smash. When people like you say these things, it kinda comes off like you haven't played online on any other game than this one, and even people who've played games with bad netcode never say things like this all that much. For Glory is still better than Brawl's online, which I may remind you, was very limited, full of taunt parties and 3v1's, and people that abuse the stage choice system.
Nintendo's dail-up servers debilitate any meaningful use of shields, tight combos, and ATs, whilst serving as positive reinforcement to the likes of flowchart Link, unsafe aerial/dashing approaches, and simple projectile or smash spamming. Couple that with the laziest possible adherence to the idea of "appropriate competitive stages" in only allowing for one of the single best stages for campy play, with no platforms to allow for taking positional advantages, and you really just end up fighting the circumstances rather than the player who spawns across from you.
Sure For Glory is laggy, but if you're getting laggy matches/ bad connections a majority of the time, that speaks more about your internet than anyone else. Dealing with flowchart characters like Link is common for any online mode, and not just For Glory, same applies to Smash spamming and projectile spamming.

★ARKZ AGES★

Smash Cadet
NNID
ARKZ_AGES
Good job. You just reiterated the million complaints about the game's online. You must feel very special.

If you haven't already, get an ethernet cable.

Yeah the game is laggy, but so are alot of other games. As an avid Street Fighter and Blazblue player, I'm no stranger to laggy multiplayer modes at all. But making sure your wifi is as good as can be first helps; because if every match is like that it's probably your problem.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, self-righteous jabs was about what I should have expected. People seem to jump at any excuse to belittle and berate others, after all-- if that weren't the case, I'd be far more interested in actually playing on the discords or ladder or whatever.

My post was little more than the lost ramblings of someone who's realized that they now have no viable way to play Smash. Much as I appreciate the initiative in such dismissive condescention, there's nothing to address my concern.

To clear up a few assumptions, however:
  • The main fighting game outside of Smash I've played with any regularity is SF, and to a lesser extent Soul Calibur. The laggy online can really ruin a match... but the shorter rounds make pervasive lag feel a bit less irksome, and sloppy shoryus from a sudden lagspike getting punished don't bother me quite like a Bowser Fsmash's 30% KO. It's not the lag itself that bothers me (as that's far from a smash-exclusive problem), it's that mechanics feel to suffer far more under that lag than they do for me in SF. Now, I'm not nearly as good at SF, so I'm sure there's bias there, but I can't even -move- properly in Smash when it's lagging, with all the pivots and hops fighting weird delays...
  • Smash 4's online play is fine (and lags surprisingly little). For Glory, however, seems to have much more of an issue with connectivity. Brawl's online was so objectively terrible that it provided no false hope. I am only calling For Glory "worse" because a bridge that almost works is a lot more frustrating than one that is more obviously broken. Worse in that FG has frustrated me more than Brawl's online-- any elsewise implication is, at worst, frustrated hyperbole.

I only have two reasons for posting-- neither of which include any interest in whatever insults would be garnered by my salt:
  • Firstly, I was venting: I am equal parts angry and depressed that I can't play Smash without a local scene, and just as frustrated that things like FG and Discords proved futile as substitutes. I am not so stupid as to expect anything other than a collective "point and sneer", but this was still much healthier than chewing on a game disc.
  • Secondly, this forum has always been an incredibly helpful support for me when I was feeling down. Mulling over metagame details and data discussions has always been a delight-- though I will note that I do not mean the people. Discussing what paltry few game subjects I could was fun. Actually interacting with people via internet? **** that.

But I digress...
tl;dr: I was posting because it made me feel much better about something that really had me feeling down. And maybe, maybe to let some stray lurker know that they're not the only one who gets frustrated about this trivial ****. Petty complaint is catharsis-- after all, it's the only reason someone has to reply to such a loaded post in the first place. So I thank you once again, Smashboards, for helping to brighten my day (despite your best efforts).

VGFan95

Elemental Summoner
Well, hopefully we can get some mods to ban your account then. Too many users like you trying to make it a negative environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom