• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cute Mix Up for those campy shields.

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
Do you ever catch yourself constantly throwing yourself at shield only to get grabbed? Well, have I got a new mix up for you!
Yes, there are many other ways to avoid getting punished for rushing down a shield, but whats the harm in having more options?

So first we have to bring up an aspect of the game that many players forget about, and wrongfully so: The footstool.
The reason this gets neglected is because players are convinced that any time you could footstool, you have a better option. This is not true. You can footstool on a shielded opponent as a way of reopening an otherwise closing door of options.

But here's the real kicker. Footstoolling a shield forces it to lower for a short time, meaning an otherwise futile aerial turns into a free hit, and potential combo.

As Mario, if you footstool a shield, you are guaranteed to have time to cancel the hop into a 'nado. There are more options than just this, but for now this is by far the easiest.

See, until shields start getting abused in this manner at the competitive level, no one will suspect this approach, or be prepared for it.

Undoubtedly, the best thing about this technique is that it makes your opponent second guess using their shield against you. And an opponent who is flustered, is all the easier to beat.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
This is adorable. :3 And also the reason I shouldn't read smash boards at work. It just makes me want to go try stuff out!

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
This is adorable. :3 And also the reason I shouldn't read smash boards at work. It just makes me want to go try stuff out!
I have the same problem at college. Speaking of, my professor is giving me that look again.

Last edited:

fmblz

Smash Rookie
I'm not busy at either one of these things. Just up much later than I should be and I want to try this. Anything else to follow up with other than dB?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I'm not busy at either one of these things. Just up much later than I should be and I want to try this. Anything else to follow up with other than dB?
Check the frame data and see when dB starts. Once you know this, you will know that all the faster moves will work. Nair is one.
I would use this tech, but I use every button for something already. Plus, only reflex does it. It's cute, but it's not nessesary for success.

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
It's cute, but it's not nessesary for success.
I bound footstool/taunt to x since I use y to jump (Sidenote, it also makes for a convenient power-up taunt cancel). It isn't necessary, but it's fun. As nice as it is to win, for me, the fun comes first. After all, it's what drives me to play.

You can ff Nair, I believe. And Dair should be possible, not sure about anything else, though ez's got a good point. The data tells all.

Last edited:

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
My only bit with this is if my opponent is cozy in shield, why don't I just grab?
A buddy of mine shield camps with Marth quite a bit, and if he is in grab range, then I certainly am. That's basically all he does. Being above him circumvents this a great deal.

Also, it's just a mix up. Sometimes a shield grab is a better option, but not always.

Last edited:
Top Bottom