• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request Custom CSS indicator

Noc

Smash Journeyman
UnclePunch's recent "UCF v0.70 Beta 1 Indicator" gecko code is useful to show on the CSS that this version of UCF is active. Is it possible to make it easy to adjust the code to put your own custom text for this indicator? For instance, either put X's in the code and what values to replace with to get specific letters, or even a tool where you input desired text and it outputs the gecko code. This could be useful to show any code(s) that you have on.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
UnclePunch's recent "UCF v0.70 Beta 1 Indicator" gecko code is useful to show on the CSS that this version of UCF is active. Is it possible to make it easy to adjust the code to put your own custom text for this indicator? For instance, either put X's in the code and what values to replace with to get specific letters, or even a tool where you input desired text and it outputs the gecko code. This could be useful to show any code(s) that you have on.
Yeah I recently found a much higher level method of displaying text on the screen than the one in UCF 0.70 from looking through Kirby Air Ride's code. A lot of code is shared between games so I have to find the same functions in Melee and then I should be able to make a decent template code where you can easily specify ASCII, text location, font color, etc. The current code is very hard to edit unless you have an understanding of the text struct format.

Last edited:

Noc

Smash Journeyman
UnclePunch UnclePunch Sounds great. If it turns out that is too difficult, I would at least request a generic indicator code that says "Gecko codes active" so that it's clear to anyone that plays on the setup that it is not just vanilla melee.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah I recently found a much higher level method of displaying text on the screen than the one in UCF 0.70 from looking through Kirby Air Ride's code. A lot of code is shared between games so I have to find the same functions in Melee and then I should be able to make a decent template code where you can easily specify ASCII, text location, font color, etc. The current code is very hard to edit unless you have an understanding of the text struct format.
Are these text struct functions the same ones that @Achilles1515 uses for displaying text in the Debug Menu or within matches? And can they be used anywhere in the game, or only specific screens (menus/matches/cut-scenes)? Please tag me when either of you get around to posting documentation on this.

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Is this text struct functions the same one that @Achilles1515 uses for displaying text in the Debug Menu or within matches? And can they be used anywhere in the game, or only specific screens (menus/matches/cut-scenes)? Please tag me when either of you get around to posting documentation on this.
This is different from the debug font (vector font). This is the font used in the various menus, most notably the nametags and rule text on the CSS as well as the menu descriptions. Its made up of the letter textures found in the dol. These text structs exist within the scene, meaning they render below the CSS cursor and camera tilting affects them. The debug text is rendered directly in front of the camera.

I will upload my notes on them very soon, just trying to figure out as much as I can. So far things like ASCII to menu text conversion, setting text color, setting scale, setting XYZ positions, spacing, centering around an X value, and visibility toggles are understood. Shouldn't be much else left.

The main thing I'm looking into at the moment is menu text during a match. Haven't had much time recently but I have a bit of time today and tomorrow so hopefully it will be figured out then.

Seems like the biggest drawback for using this method is the lack of a contrasting background. With the debug text, you can spawn a text box but with the menu text, you sort of have to rely on there being a singular color behind where you want the text to be. Possible workarounds could be creating 5 total text objects, with the other 4 being a darker color and placed on the left, right, top, and bottom, serving as a makeshift outer stroke or using the debug text box in tandem with the menu text, although the text box wouldn't be rendered in the same layer as the text, which wouldn't look very good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom