• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Currently maining dedede in smash 3ds JPN. AMA

theta64

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone,

Im not new to the forums, but i have not been active in years. and i decided to make a new account since my old one got lost. But i am an owner of the game in Japanese and I currently main DEDEDE. Of all the characters to choose, dedede definitely feels the smoothest for me to use in terms of speed and power. I do play on twitch with other live streamer and i only know 4 other very good dedede at the moment. But yea if you have any questions on dedede feel free to ask and ill answer as soon as i can!!! :)

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Have you found any combos with Dedede, and what are they? Also, are his custom Gordo Tosses as easily deflected as the defaults?

theta64

Smash Cadet
Have you found any combos with Dedede, and what are they? Also, are his custom Gordo Tosses as easily deflected as the defaults?
yea all his gordos side-B can easily be blocked/deflected. using them is a double edged sword for dedede, BUT they all play well in D3 favor if you mind game your opponent correctly. and there are a few combos with d3. one in particular that I have used was using his side-B gordo into an up-air from mid percentage. if you launch the gordo right behind the enemy to hit, itll send him toward your direction above which then you combo in his up air and can kill most light wieght opponents from 80%.

-Another neat little combo that does about 40-50% damage is if you grab the opponent by the edge, down-throw him, you can do a double fair hit and edge gaurd well from there since he has multiple jumps.

-Also grab to an up throw can lead to another combo. just up air after the up throw and depending on the location the opponent D.I, you can usually hit them with a fair or bair.

-D3 back air is his best move. you will definitely be using this alot for edge of maps matches.

-I also want to mention the fact that in order to effectively use d3, you will be need to his his gordos alot. One cool thing though is with the normal gordo(noncustom), if you use it, but right after it comes out, tilt it circle pad upwards or downwards and the gordo will bounce up and down in front of you and can be used like a shield and works well for close range matches and helps prevents you from being grabbed as it can hurt your opponent if they dont hit the gordo first.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
How do you deal with projectile campers like DHD? It seems like those kind of MUs make it hard for Dedede to approach. Also, thanks for doing this.

theta64

Smash Cadet
How do you deal with projectile campers like DHD? It seems like those kind of MUs make it hard for Dedede to approach. Also, thanks for doing this.
no problem. its the least i can do.

-yea dhd and other longe range enemies are hard for dedede. but the main thing you want to against them is floating over their projectiles and/or lots of faking. i battle a few good dhd japanese players. i normally float until i get close enough and foward tilt-A or hold A. this usually prevents a lot of dhd attacks since his foward tilt has a lot of range and hitbox as well as the neutral a on the ground. also the maps to best avoid being pummeled by long range enemies is to fight them on platform maps like battlefield, etc. flat stages are the word for dedede against these guys but not impossible.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I don't want to steal your thunder so I'll let you answer questions but I want to add my own things too.

concerning combos: character dependent dthrow combos. Some characters you can dthrow > fair for around 19% and it works for quite a while. Some characters will actually be too close to you after the dthrow to hit with fair and so you can substitute with nair. If you want even more, dthrow > nair > ftilt seems to work as well but it's hard to tell if the people I face are just bad heheh. But dthrow into something is pretty basic and works. Dtilt > ftilt and stuff like that too.

And yeah. unfortunately projectiles are terrible for Dedede this time around but there are a few workarounds. Once they realize that your gordos are unsafe for you to use when they're spamming projectiles they'll fall back quite heavily on them to force you to approach. Most projectiles are pretty laggy though so you can either wait for an opening or jump and aim your gordos to land right on top of them to force a shield (or they get hit and you can go in). With DH specifically his can is the biggest threat and I just ftilt them to pop them closer to DH. Once this happens they'll do something to either set up camp again or run away which is pretty much your opportunity. Just think about there that DH player wants to keep you: far away enough where he can nail you with clay pigeons and have the can as backup defense, most times. Also, it's not too fresh in my mind but I think gordos actually blow up the cans too. It's certainly not as terrible to throw a gordo at a can as it is a Falco laser :urg:

Last edited:

theta64

Smash Cadet
I don't want to steal your thunder so I'll let you answer questions but I want to add my own things too.

concerning combos: character dependent dthrow combos. Some characters you can dthrow > fair for around 19% and it works for quite a while. Some characters will actually be too close to you after the dthrow to hit with fair and so you can substitute with nair. If you want even more, dthrow > nair > ftilt seems to work as well but it's hard to tell if the people I face are just bad heheh. But dthrow into something is pretty basic and works. Dtilt > ftilt and stuff like that too.

And yeah. unfortunately projectiles are terrible for Dedede this time around but there are a few workarounds. Once they realize that your gordos are unsafe for you to use when they're spamming projectiles they'll fall back quite heavily on them to force you to approach. Most projectiles are pretty laggy though so you can either wait for an opening or jump and aim your gordos to land right on top of them to force a shield (or they get hit and you can go in). With DH specifically his can is the biggest threat and I just ftilt them to pop them closer to DH. Once this happens they'll do something to either set up camp again or run away which is pretty much your opportunity. Just think about there that DH player wants to keep you: far away enough where he can nail you with clay pigeons and have the can as backup defense, most times. Also, it's not too fresh in my mind but I think gordos actually blow up the cans too. It's certainly not as terrible to throw a gordo at a can as it is a Falco laser :urg:
no worries the more the merrier. I agree with alot of your points too. gordos as i said are double edged swords to dedede. but thats why you have to plan accordingly

Top Bottom