• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Current thoughts on Marth's position.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I'm starting to feel after playing enough with some of the buffs on the 3DS that he could be bottom of the high tiers or somewhere in the middle behind Ike and Roy.

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Honestly Marth is already at the top of Mid Tier or at the bottom of High Tier. He's good.

Unfortunately, he still doesn't have exactly what he needs. If he could get a little bit less lag on his aerials and better hitboxes next patch, then he'll definitely be High Tier.

Not_Indigo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Same as username
I think he's high mid tier. He has amazing conditioning tools, great kill potential, and some useful kill setups that bring him up significantly, but he's missing a few big things that high/top tiers have. His throw game is mediocre, with Dthrow -> Bair or Uair being his best combo (even then, it isn't guaranteed). He doesn't have kill combos either, although his kill power mostly makes up for it. Not having a projectile hurts him a lot, since it forces him to approach against anyone that has one.

Less knockback on either Dthrow or Fthrow, a wider window for his Dair spike, and reduced endlag on DB 1 (making SH DB -> Uair true) would bump him up to low high tier, in my opinion.

UnDeaD_AmP

Smash Rookie
NNID
UnDeaD_AmP
3DS FC
3823-9282-9458
I don't think he's necessarily high mid just yet, In my opinion, I think that in the 1.10 as is, his aerial buffs were just what he needed. I consider him Dead mid tier or high mid if he is played to full potential. I mean his neutral game is still nowhere near where it was in brawl or melee but his offstage presence I believe is something really good. He can recover from almost anywhere as long as you save that double jump and his gimping ability/edge gaurding is quite great in my opinion. His tipper punishes are extremely brutal, especially his Tipper F smash, I swear i've killed Shieks at 53 with it. Its something to fear imo, and his situation is only geting better with the new techniques we discover in smash 4 every day. From 1.0 I could say he was low tier no doubt, but as of now, he's defintely mid tier for sure, High mid if played to full potential right now. If his next buff is in throws and grab range, he'd totally have high tier potential. I feel if his grab range was extended, this would super help, and if he had followups out of his grabs, he'd be scary to approach. After low and mid percents, stuff just stops working for me so its usually out of the question to go for a grab, as there is little reward to it.

TLDR;

Marth is mid tier/ high mid in my book as of 1.10. He's totally been helped alot. If his next buff is in throws/grab range, and he gets good followups, he's totally viable for high tier.

Objekshin

Smash Cadet
Many think hes around mid-high tier, but IMO, hes top tier (around the same as luigi or ness). Sure, his landing lag could use another buff, he could do with 2 fairs in 1 short hop, and lacks good combo capabilities. But the reason I say this is because he can kill at great percentages with tippers (get good reads or space correctly or both), and he has a kill throw. Its just that not many Marths can do that. I think Marth is more like a niche character.

IMO, the reason people say hes mid-high is because not enough people can carry him on the leaderboards (exception Allyknight)

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Many think hes around mid-high tier, but IMO, hes top tier (around the same as luigi or ness). Sure, his landing lag could use another buff, he could do with 2 fairs in 1 short hop, and lacks good combo capabilities. But the reason I say this is because he can kill at great percentages with tippers (get good reads or space correctly or both), and he has a kill throw. Its just that not many Marths can do that. I think Marth is more like a niche character.

IMO, the reason people say hes mid-high is because not enough people can carry him on the leaderboards (exception Allyknight)
I wouldn't say top-tier but I honestly never thought he was mid-tier after the buffs, the fact that he is faster can let him slip in one shield breaker with conditioning almost similar to the strength that flare blade has. Thing is nobody uses it enough, and with good reasoning. Also early kill percents, not that hard with the tools available. Not to mention we can set out an extended hitbox via dancing blade for edgeguarding, so we edgeguard about as good if not better than MK spamming jab at the ledge as an example. Personally I don't think we need throw combos that last up to 100%, which btw for those who don't know we do through dolphin slash and it is actually safe. We also don't suffer the sheik syndorme of not being able to kill at high percents because d-tilt can send you at a low angle around 120% which you can't tech, so it's a free u-smash.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Not to be that guy, but aren't tiers based more on match-ups instead of what a character is capable of???

Not_Indigo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Same as username
Not to be that guy, but aren't tiers based more on match-ups instead of what a character is capable of???
It's not exactly an either-or; a character's potential affects their matchups with others. Tier lists are essentially characters ranked by how they would do in tournaments when played to their highest potential, and a character with better matchups across the board would be closer to the top.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
You're not wrong about that with tier lists, but I feel Marth doesn't really do poorly anymore. Worst MU he might have could potentially be 40:60 with pikachu.

Top Bottom