• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cues to help with a GOOD ledgedash? What are your inputs?

rnv

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to grind out the ledgedash starting today and I haven't gotten it down yet. I've tried down to let go -> wavedash onto stage by rolling the control stick to the wavedash angle, but with this method I frequently find myself getting an ugly, short wavedash. It's working better for me with back, but I still can't do it consistently at all. I saw a cool technique some people use where they shine from ledge just before ledgedashing, because the timing is extremely similar to waveshining, so it produces a nice, clean wavedash onto ledge, but I don't want to lose those valuable invuln frames in my shine if I can help it. What do you input to ledgedash? What helped you learn the technique/timing?

Snorlaxes

Smash Cadet
It's really just another piece of tech that you have to grind. Don't bother with the shine, it'll just waste invulnerability frames and in my opinion, doesn't even make ledgedashes any easier.

As for advice, I think Leffen and Hax have the cleanest ledgedashes if you're looking for someone to emulate. Also, it's marginally easier when you grab the ledge from a firefox because of ECB stuff.

Kadano

Magical Express
I'm trying to grind out the ledgedash starting today and I haven't gotten it down yet. I've tried down to let go -> wavedash onto stage by rolling the control stick to the wavedash angle, but with this method I frequently find myself getting an ugly, short wavedash. It's working better for me with back, but I still can't do it consistently at all. I saw a cool technique some people use where they shine from ledge just before ledgedashing, because the timing is extremely similar to waveshining, so it produces a nice, clean wavedash onto ledge, but I don't want to lose those valuable invuln frames in my shine if I can help it. What do you input to ledgedash? What helped you learn the technique/timing?
I haven’t done a Fox animation yet, but take a look at this frame: http://gfycat.com/SmugOilyAmericanquarterhorse#?frameNum=7

The inputs for the ledge drop are the same for Fox. So you can drop with down and forward, from there you can quickly roll to 18° below full forward. (Which is much easier with a properly notch-modded controller.)

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The reason why dropping from the ledge with back rather than down is inferior is because it takes more frames to go from back to down forward, and you have to input the jump while holding toward the stage.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
I haven’t done a Fox animation yet, but take a look at this frame: http://gfycat.com/SmugOilyAmericanquarterhorse#?frameNum=7

The inputs for the ledge drop are the same for Fox. So you can drop with down and forward, from there you can quickly roll to 18° below full forward. (Which is much easier with a properly notch-modded controller.)
Wait... how do you drop down with forward?? when you do forward on the control stick doesnt it just do a regular getup from the ledge?

Kadano

Magical Express
Wait... how do you drop down with forward?? when you do forward on the control stick doesnt it just do a regular getup from the ledge?
It shows that in the animation you just quoted. Pause it and go to the last frame where CF is still hanging on the ledge.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
It shows that in the animation you just quoted. Pause it and go to the last frame where CF is still hanging on the ledge.
ah i see, i didn't notice that you did dropdown by pointing control stick diagonally downleft first

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
@ rnv rnv
The stick inputs for Fox's ledge dash are just like the hadouken: :4ryu:

:GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCX::GCRT:

I recommend you to jump with X/Y and let go of the edge by tapping down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom