• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique please.

Bonafide87

Smash Cadet
Hey, new here. :dizzy: Never knew Smashboards had an art forum. Please rate my stuff, and provide critiques.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47517112/?&q=by:banyah87&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42246438/?qo=10&q=by:banyah87&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41840353/?qo=26&q=by:banyah87&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps

(Click on the images to view them in full size)

If you have a deviantart account, providing comments would be cool too. Thanks in advance. :dizzy: Feel free to check out the rest of my gallery too.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
It is, actually. I guess this stuff is different enough to have it's own topic, but banners and stuff go in the other topic. Or TM gets really mad.

And you don't want to see that happen.

Bonafide87

Smash Cadet
No it isn't, actually. It's a bunch of teenagers feeding each others' egos by blindly praising useless banners that have no artistic merit. There is absolutely no genuine critiques going on in that thread. Unfortunately, I discovered this *after* asking for opinions. I'm done with this forum; I'll go back to using Smashboards for Smash reasons only, and stick to Deviantart for artistic things.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
Hmm, I don't have much to say about the second two. They were cool, but I don't have much to say. I liked how you composed the second one, and the shading being done with words, but the huge 'kill's over on the left kind of pushed it over the top. I realize that all of the shading, or most, was 'kill', but the subtlety got wrecked when you made it so blatant. The concept itself is pretty overused, but your presentation of it is nice.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
I'm done with this forum; I'll go back to using Smashboards for Smash reasons only, and stick to Deviantart for artistic things.
sorry you feel that way. it's just that the most popular graphic on here is signatures/tags/banners. so that's what people are wanting to get critiqued. anyway:

1st one is nice. i really like it!
2nd one is weird.....but somehow cool. again, i like it!
3rd is just plain cool. totally sweet looking!

i really like them. keep it up! i'd like to see more of your work in this thread. keep 'em coming!

Ami

Smash Ace
Wow, I really like the first one. It has a lot of emotion in it, and the concept is great.
The second one is harder to understand what the theme is, but it is still an interesting picture.
The third one makes me laugh - not in a bad way, though. It's kind of cute in a creepy way.
Well done.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
I don't have much to say about most of them... Pretty cool ideas I guess, but since I rarely do abstract art I don't think I can suggest anything. I did like the idea of a hand with arm-fingers, and the abstract approach to this worked well in my opinion.

tappy

Smash Ace
i'd like to see some more. they're all awesome but i like the first one the most.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Your artwork is pretty interesting. I personally love photo manips and vectors...

The first one: amazing use of the word kill in that image. It's really unexpected and it fits in perfectly. The sun is a good part of this, but the style of the drawing doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the image since the rays seem so perfect. perhaps if you made them a little jagged, it might look better. It's still sexy though.

The second one: I really don't know what to say. It looks really cool and all, even though it is a mirror with the bottom faded out <_<.. I really don't know what to say about it, I personally like it. Sorry for the lack of a quality critic on this one :x

The third one: I LOVE Photo manipulations. or at least this is what it seems to be. One main thing I have an issue with, is the contrast on the hands at the end of the fingers, it seems to be pretty high, as you can see the shaded transition is sudden compared to the rest of the hand. It makes the hands at the tips seem a bit too unrealistic and flat..

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Well, just saying "it's awesome" or "it sucks" isn't a critique. That's just saying what you think of it. Critiquing usually includes ways that the artist should improve his or her art, or tell them whats wrong with it. That's why he wont post in the stickied topic, and I agree 100% with Bonafide...

Bonafide87

Smash Cadet
Well, just saying "it's awesome" or "it sucks" isn't a critique. That's just saying what you think of it. Critiquing usually includes ways that the artist should improve his or her art, or tell them whats wrong with it. That's why he wont post in the stickied topic, and I agree 100% with Bonafide...
Yes, I said that, but I'm also discovering that I was too quick to judge; this thread has provided some genuine suggestions and advice for me.

tappy

Smash Ace
WHO CARES!? As long as he stays, i'm happy. we could use some fresh artwork, something new to critique besides banners. :laugh:
i was just kinda jokin with him. i'm glad he's staying too. his stuff is alot more different than all of the banners that we focus on alot here, so i'm glad that we have something different to critique on and to get to see.

Bonafide87

Smash Cadet
Your artwork is pretty interesting. I personally love photo manips and vectors...

The first one: amazing use of the word kill in that image. It's really unexpected and it fits in perfectly. The sun is a good part of this, but the style of the drawing doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the image since the rays seem so perfect. perhaps if you made them a little jagged, it might look better. It's still sexy though.

The second one: I really don't know what to say. It looks really cool and all, even though it is a mirror with the bottom faded out <_<.. I really don't know what to say about it, I personally like it. Sorry for the lack of a quality critic on this one :x

The third one: I LOVE Photo manipulations. or at least this is what it seems to be. One main thing I have an issue with, is the contrast on the hands at the end of the fingers, it seems to be pretty high, as you can see the shaded transition is sudden compared to the rest of the hand. It makes the hands at the tips seem a bit too unrealistic and flat..

First, thanks for your opinions; I appreciate the fact that you took time to post your thoughts.

1) I kind of expected someone to mention the sun; amongst all the criticism that this image received, the most common one was that the sun didn't belong in the image, or at least that the sun's style was out of place. I'll admit that the sun was unplanned, and quite literally added at the last second simply to occupy the emptiness in the upper right hand corner.

Because of the fact that the sun was added last minute, it sounds superficial to justify it with deeper intentions, but I've found myself "explaining" it with somewhat legitimate reasons. Now I don't know how valid these reasons are, but some were:
-the circle shape with rays coming out of it are supposed to be structurally similar to the Statue of Liberty's crown
-the contrasting style is supposed to draw attention to it (possibly even making it the focus of the picture?)
-it adds to the message

Now again, I realize how superficial it sounds to justify a last minute slap-on with deep meanings, but I think some of the reasons are valid. What are your thoughts on this? (Don't take this as a defensive attitude towards criticism; I fully realize that an "artist" asking for critques and ends up defending himself is the most hypocritical and frustrating thing ever).

Instead, I just want to hear your thoughts on my "reasons". I'm open minded and not afraid to make changes to my art if I am truly convinced.

As for the suggestion of keeping the sun, but making it more realistic, I don't quite know if that would improve anything. A sun with a face with already cartoonish, so wouldn't it kill the point?

2) Don't worry too much about the "lack of quality" criticism; I already appreciate the fact that you provided some on other things. I have a question to anybody about this particular image. I just used a photo as a background basis, so I know what the content is. What I'm curious about is whether others can tell what is going on the picture.

3) I agree 100% about the contrast inconsistency. I've even mentioned it myself in the deviantart description: Allow me to just copy what I wrote:

"The original image was supposed to be photorealistic. It was rather boring, with a plain background and normal colored skin. The fact that I wasn't able to achieve perfect photorealisticness made me consider allowing an abstract look to an already abstract idea. Adding blue to the image had to be done to the flattened jpg. The fact that I saved this as a flatten image irks me at times, because I can't really change things anymore with good detail. For example, I think that when it comes to lighting, the only convincing fingers are the thumb, pinky, and ring finger. The pointer and middle finger seem inconsistent with the lighting."

The issue is, being a n00b at the time, I saved the image as its flattened version, forever discarding all the layers that made it up and therefore preventing me to fix things easily...

---

Thanks for all your suggestions. More thoughts? (And is it okay for a single poster to have his "own topic" in this forum?)

Reioumu

Smash Lord
about making the rays similar to the statue of liberty, you should have used gun tips for the rays too :D, that would look sick, but yeah, it would kinda mess up the cartoonish look, but the cartoonish look doesn't really belong in an image with kill all over it lol

and about your reason, I know the feeling when you have an empty space in an image, you just want to fill it with something, it's okay that you did something at the last minute, but I still think you should have tried to apply the style of the image to it. No matter what style the sun is (other than transparent), it will usually get some attention. Though you're right, a lot of the attention is focused on that sun, but I think the statue should get more.

saberhof

Smash Master
well, squirrelhunter has his own topic on his drawings, so maybe this could be another exeption i dont really know.

ill be expecting more of your artwork. :):p

Top Bottom