• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Link updated 11-24-08

Hue

Smash Cadet
Just watched the recent videos, so my comments are just referring to those two matches.

You have a good solid Link, and you seem to have all the basics down and a good grasp of most of his ATs. My main suggestion would be to use jab cancels, Nairs and Zairs more (especially Zair). I saw a lot of times when you were just above your opponent at a low percentage and you fast falled a Dair and got punished. SH FF'd Nairs are great for comboing, and good for spacing. In general try to use Dair less often, but I would suggest edge guarding with it. If you know where your opponent is going to be, full hop a Dair and float off the stage a bit. This can be really tricky to avoid, depending on your opponent's recovery. Make sure you have plenty of room to recover yourself, though.

Jab cancels are great. I personally would use the final jab no more than 50% of the time. Grabs are probably the best at low-mid percentages, or utilts. If you do land a grab at a high percentage, one option is to just grab attack them until they break out and then immediately DSmash. Don't do this all the time, but it could get you a kill once per match if they're not expecting it.

Zair is a great attack, particularly against the larger characters. If you time it right, you can use the first hit of the Zair just as you land close to your opponent and combo directly into most of your attacks (Grabs, smashes, even jabs). Don't do this all the time, but try to mix it into your playstyle.

IMO also try to spot dodge and shield more, particularly against projectiles. Pivot boosting is a really useful technique if you can master it. The biggest challenge with Link is to keep your playstyle varied so you don't become predictable. Find lots of strategies you are comfortable using and alternate between them throughout a match.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for the advice. I will try to learn how to use zair more often. I dont use it often because when i use zair sometimes i miss the zair. I will also try to jab cancel more and mix things up a bit. Can you also tell me what are my strong points and stuff.

OoD

Smash Rookie
It's good that you're finding things on your own, but that's been known since like....the 2nd week of the game's release.
LOL I thought so...it was just new to me since I didn't have internet since the first few weeks I had brawl.

Top Bottom