• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

critique my friends IC pleasee

kenkowtow

Smash Apprentice
Disclaimer: I'm not a pro IC player, but I'll tell you what I'm pretty sure are problems.

From the top

Match 1: I'm not too familiar with this matchup but I'll tell you what I know...
Well the two most serious problems I would say are the serious lack of chain grabs and the f-air edgeguard. A simple d-air chain grab could take Falcon to a ridiculously high percent. While the f-air edgeguard may have been good once or twice, the Falcon was able to meteor-cancel them, a surefire sign that it's being overused. There were many times where a simple edgehog would have done the trick, I would say that d-smash is better for an edgeguard rather than f-air.
On that note, I think it would do him good to know how to combo into grab, notable the jab -> grab one. Using more desynced Nana-blizzards would be good (I think, but probably on FD only).
And some other small things like knowing how to over-b recover rather than using the belay.

Match 2: Essentially the same thing as above, but there seems to be improvement.
One thing that I noticed was the lack of u-airs and b-airs. While b-air doesn't sound real powerful it has pretty high knockback. The u-air is a wonderful juggle mostly because it stays out for a while.

OK well I'm rather lazy and I don't feel like looking over two more matches. Summing it all up, I would suggest your friend work on those chaingrabs, edgeguarding, grabs, and follow-ups to the chaingrabs.

I hope I helped in some way :)

Sticky Mcnasty

Smash Rookie
hey dude this his friend that plays the IC's. thanks for the critique it dies help and yeah you are definatly right about the f-air. im gonna mix it up between that, b-air and d-smash. but hey you should watch the last 2 and critique them. there alot better. and again thanks :)

pockyD

Smash Legend
only watched the first one but...

too much rolling (bad), and you never seem to desync out of them (not necessarily bad but very useful to work in)

felt like just a ton of wavesmashing - every time you went into the air, you were dry and predictable (didn't really mix up fast falls, double jumps, etc)

didn't go for grabs a lot, and didn't take advantage of the grabs you got (what are you doing dsmashing a falcon when it won't even get him off the edge? so many better things to do =[ )

and of course the awful edgeguarding -_-

kenkowtow

Smash Apprentice
Well I suppose I'll look over the rest...

Yes to PockyD's statements. (can't believe I didn't notice the rolling)
Wavedashing is almost always better than rolling. Roll in a bind or for the offensive desync. Rolling should not be used to create distance, it's too slow and too much lag.

Anyways...

Match 3:
1. Yeah, definatly work on that edgeguarding. If you can go for a hog then do it, it's almost always better to do so. While you're at it learn how to waveland onto the stage and attack from the edge (I forgot what it's called). In my opinion I would loose the f-air edge guard, especially when playing your friends (they tend to see the patterns to soonest...). I suppose you could use it like once in three or so games, but I don't see how d-smash could not be better (CF is particularly easy to edgeguard so don't get used to using the f-air).
2. Another problem that I noticed was that your ground game was rather predictable. Normally I would suggest to DD or something like that, but that's probably not viable as an IC player. You could mix things up with SHFFLC'd b-airs, empty SH, SH blizzard, wavedash in and WD out, wavesmash, full jump to f-air, full jump to double jump to d-air, and the list could go on. Basically you want to do movements that make your opponent do what you want them to do. Feint an attack so they expose themselves, strike preemptively to take them by surprise, expose yourself so that they become exposed, change things up so that they will not be able to know what you will do, and the list could go on.
3. Similar to the ground game, your air game seemed to be rather lacking. Watch just about any pro player, you will notice that they all try to use the u-air as a juggle, it's an easy way to rack up damage. Often times when the u-air does fail they normally switch over to d-air or b-air. Notice that b-air is a kill move, a rather good one at that, low lag, low start up, nice hitbox, and relatively good damage.
Some other small things I noticed: When you're a SoPo you shouldn't become so predictable with your over-b. Watch some of ChuDat's videos, his SoPo is able to get back on the stage so many times because of the unpredictability of his Popo.
I saw several dash attack, its not bad but your spacing was off and therefore a wavesmash would have worked better.
On that note, your spacing needs some work.

Match 4: Basically the same things as was mentioned before

I don't know for sure because I'm not too experienced with the CF matchup but I think waveshielding (into shield-grab) would do you good.

Binx

Smash Master
Here is my critique of match one, I do realize this is a friendly and thus you probably play cheaper better in real matches. But I gave advice as if it were tournament.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YaA2hdMTF8
  • at 6 seconds you wavedash at an open falcon and left yourself open, what you should have

done was either ran towards him and shielded or even a waveshield would be fine, however
    running shields offer you more control of where you space, especially against falcon because
    as long as you dont go into a run you should be able to react to the jumps with shields
    which is very save because falcon's grabs have a tough time splitting up ICs.
  • The falcon at 6 seconds should have pulled back a little and sweetspotted the knee, that would have probably lead to a downthrow and another knee, he then could either stomp nana and combo her to death with relative ease or shoot for edgeguarding you with less ease.
  • At 8 Seconds you tried to shield grab a falcon forward b, although sometimes for some
    wierd reason this works fine the vast majority of the time falcon is safe to move, I find
    most falcons tend to go for grabs themselves in this situation or jump, I like to wavedash
    through them and then short hop a bair, if they jumped odds are they are falling towards me
    now to try and hit me with something, as long as my spacing is good my bair will beat his
    and will also beat falcon's stomp. If they do expect my bair they can DI away and remain
    safe as well but then I am also because an auto canceled bair has only 4 frames of landing
    lag. A third possability is that they expect it, if I time my waveshield properly though I
    will block their short hop bair and have time to bair them back or chase them.
  • At 12 seconds you full hopped naired during a tech chase you should have dash danced
    slightly out of range of his get up attack and gone for a grab, if he didn't get up attack
    then you should be able to wait for a roll and get a grab, since its falcon and his spot
    dodge is garbage, or more likely a Jump which you can easily punish with an up air.
  • At 18 seconds you wavedashed away and towards him, this is another situation I would be
    using dash dances for the easier shield, with dash dances instead of wavedashes you would
    have had time to block this and go back into the guessing game you were in before.
  • At 27 seconds you connect with a dash attack and attempt to do a second dash attack, with this DI it would have been an easy grab which could have led to a loss of stock for this
    falcon. A second dash attack or even better an upsmash would be fine with solo popo, but a
    reverse dair is deadly vs falcon so don't miss these opportunities.
  • At 29 seconds you miss another tech chase opportunity by being impatient. Your close this time so you should dash towards the stage, then back towards him and shield unless you have strong reason to believe he will roll towards the edge, here is why, Most players reflexively roll AWAY from edges because they are presumed as extra dangerous, no one wants to be edgeguarded. If he was going to roll away from the edge you would have time to notice it and grab him by running left, if he didn't do that pretty quick odds are he will use a
    getup attack which the dash back towards him block would also solve, if he then tricked you
    and rolled towards the edge oh well, you are still between him and sweet sweet safety.
  • At 32 seconds you miss an easy bair by using a more laggy less damaging nair, this was a
    minor spacing mistake. I am assuming that by using the nair you meant to have him not tech, I don't know the nair mechanics well enough to know if the nair had possible advantages here had you connected but bair would have been a better choice due to lag and range.
  • At 34 you used a roll to approach falcon, don't do that. Although good actions taken
    after the roll.
  • At 49 seconds you wasted an edgeguard opportunity by going for a flashy kill, forward
    smash is better in this situation pretty much always.
  • At 1 minute nana was doing an upthrow, I can usually tell before I would have nana
    forward smash which one of us has the grab, the proper follow up here is a dash attack or
    shooting for another grab off of it, at that percent I would then uthrow him again and
    follow with something else based on DI, the reason I dont wait for nana or even to headbutt
    is because at 15-25% falcon could break my grab WAY easily.
  • At 1:09 you make another small spacing mistake by not realizing than you dont need to up

b here and miss another easy edgeguard. If it is any consolation though I didn't think you
    were going to make it either, however I would have used a forward be to touch the ground
    faster and apply pressure while falcon is still hanging on the edge.
  • At 1:19 you use roll to approach again.
  • At 1:21 you miss another death grab by going for a dash attack.
  • At 1:27 you miss an easy wavedash ledgehog, even if he had made the stage you could have

stood or done a wavehop(tm) and grabbed or smashed.
  • At 1:30 you should have let Nana die and gone for a downthrow to forward smash/tech chase

based on DI, another time where he should have been able to kill you easily.
  • 1:46 you miss another forward smash edgeguard.
  • 2:03 an upthrow would have been better in this situation, you could have even gotten the
    dash attack over the edge in this situation. If you did use downthrow a tech chase into
    another throw would be better than the tilt reset, now a jab regrab would be fine here if
    you didn't think the opponent would expect it, but it is less safe.
  • 2:16 another full hop random bair.
  • 2:23 another missed death grab.
  • 2:28 sigh another missed forward smash although it worked out fine for you this time.
  • 2:33 another unsafe roll, against more patient opponents you will be punished for these,
    tell you friend to do some more dash dancing and waiting so you can feel some actuall
    pressure, he attacks predictably over and over and you are getting around it.
  • 2:34 unsafe forward smash, shielding or moving was a better option here vs most people.
  • 2:36 you miss another death grab opportunity.
  • 2:55 wavehop into smash/grab or movement would have been safer than the get up attack.
  • 3:03 another missed death grab.
  • 3:07 you should have broken the tumble and landed so you wouldn't have been in a tech
    chased situation.
  • 3:12 the fair was misspaced, a dair would have been better for the longer hang time, also
    no attack into a waveland would be fine too, it's a toss up here and more of a guess as to
    what should be done.
  • 3:15 you could have fallen safely and grabbed the ledge
  • 3:26 you shouldn't have full hopped your bair, a sh bair would be good in this situation.
  • 3:33-3:36 any of these times you could have broken you tumble and airdodged, either to
    the stage or diagnal and fallen to the ledge, mix it up.
  • 3:40 learn to waveland onto the edge?

Binx

Smash Master
Just realized how bad I sounded, replace the flippant way it reads with a humble tone. LOL. Seriously thoughif Wobbles or someone would like to see if I analyzed that pretty correctly that'd be awesome, I mean those are the changes I would make if I could go back and play the match my way while just trying to remain safe based on my own reflexes, of course there would be times where I would get tricked or not react fast enough, I was just trying to comment on times where there were safer options and even if they did hit you its because they had more Yomi not because you let them.

Sticky Mcnasty

Smash Rookie
hey dude thanks for the critique it helped alot. im sure that took a while and im wasnt very good then but ill post new vids soon and if you would could you check em out to see if have improved.

Top Bottom