• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my friend's falco

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
He doesn't shffl and is a classic example of someone who learned how to wavedash before learning any of the basics. He needs to stop using the shine like it's an edgeguard, and he needs to learn how to move faster while shling. He also needs to work on recoverying from the ledge. Sometimes it's just better to get up than to ledgehop and aerial (especially on Marth).

He's pretty good at wavedashing and waveshining though. He should probably work on shffling and pillaring before anything else, then perfect shling.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
@pukekorea: Tell your friend that he needs to learn to shffl and shl well before anything else.

Those two techniques are the base of any falco's game.

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
sry for my bad english.

- More use of shield -> shieldgrab -> more grabs -> uthrow to nair/bair
- more shffl
- more SHL when there is distance
- not jumping around with a nair, do SHL and shffl an dair and shine instead
- no dashattacks, they can easily be shieldgrabbed or shielded
- use waveshines more
- Cliffhanger (u may need how to infinite stall, firebird @ edge...)
- don't shine when your are out of the stage, run off the stage, DJ and dair instead ...
- Don't smash so often, maybe when he's high damaged, then you can use the walk and smash in the other direction-mindgame or whatever
- sweetspotting
- when your opponent is off the stage, don't use SHL (since you may give your opponent thee chance to come back with them). Do Cliffhanger

i hope i could help

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
yea most of these I've tried to get him to do but maybe if I show him this thread now he might listen.

He's really into waveshining right now even though everything else is kinda weak, tech wise.

th0rn

Smash Lord
Know which way to DI, like towards platforms rather then away from them when getting chainthrowed by marth. >_>

xelad1

Smash Ace
just get him to develop all of his techskill thats the main problem here. There isn't much of a point of critiquing right now becasue all everyone is going to say is "oh he needs to learn to shffl/shl better/use the shine properly" etc. etc..... which all amounts to "his tech skill is bad and he needs to learn these things". Has he seen pro falcos play?

He seems to be lacking some fundemental ideas of how a falco should play, go show him bombsoldier vs. ken or something so he can cream his pants just like every other n00b when they see bombsoldier play for the first time. Maybe then he will be inspired to make his technical game top notch.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
I showed him BS vids the first time he picked up falco.

Also he has seen dashizwiz play in person so I know he has a good idea how a falco should be played.

Hopefully with this thread he'll listen to me this time. Until about last month he was one of those "cstick is cheap" people.

I've been considering picking up falco to maybe motivate him more, is that a good idea?
I'm a little better in the technical area of lasers and shffling but now Waveshining.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I think theres potential in this Falco, there are some good concepts this player is working on, but I especially would like to see better use of the SHL and SHFFL. Not quite sure what they were thinknig when the Marth was on the right ledge at about :56 and went for a shine...
With the short hop laser, it's all about getting used to the timing, and what's happening is they are firing a tiny bit too early and this is making a good deal of the shots miss jsut above Marth's head. Still the biggest thing is throw out the dashing game, and bring in the Shffl'ing game.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'd also say one of the msot beneficial things you can do to help is watch a couple good Falco vid's before each training session, and focus on one or two specific things and perfect them. Don't start wave shining if you have a sloppy wave dash, don't try pillaring if you can't l-cancel effectively, etc. Not saying those were the mistakes made, those are jsut common issues with Falcos and Foxes.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Well the his dashing attack habit is probably my fault. I need to punish him more for it, but usually all I ended up doing is just shielding and rolling.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Just sheild grab him till he throws the controller down in anger, that and wave dashing backwards into a FSmash. Both are ways I broke my brother of excessive dash attacks.

xelad1

Smash Ace
its kind of hard to motivate someone if they don't care enough themselves. I mean when I found out about falco's advanced techs I wanted to learn them all and become proficient at them so I could play smash at a more competitive level. I found other people who enjoyed smash that much as well so competing with them became my motivation.

His motivation should be improving enough to be able to beat you, its hard to be motivated without competition. Maybe the problem is that you need to find people who want to play smash more instead of trying to motivate him or... you aren't beating him badly enough to make him realize that he isn't good. Ergo you both need to get better.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
I believe he's motivated , I just feel he's concentrating on the wrong things. Right now he's more interested in jc shines rather than shffling aerials.

I decided to pick up falco myself for him to have something to compare to.
I just played him again today and my falco was better in almost every aspect.

Side Note Question- Should I be starting to learn waveshining now? So far in matches with my friend I've been able to use the following:
SHL, RSHL, LHDL, pillar to 50%(dair and shines), shffle dair approaches(working on nair), ledge tech, aerial shine to instant aerial (the thing dashizwiz does alot), firebird stall.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
If you've got a good shffl, shl, and a good pillar i think its worth starting to practice. i wouldn't do anything more technical till you've got the falco fundamentals down. I think starting complex tricks too early may have crippled they way your friend looks at smash. he needs to learn that advanced techniques are nice but someone good at all their fundamentals will win everytime. advanced techniques dont win the matches. they do help. but they dont win them.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
The core of any characters game is the SHFFL, the tech, and the edge guard, and then i would say character specific strategies and mindgames

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
And I'm only giving constructive criticism, from the video I can tell your friend has unlimited potential and I'm sure you helped foster that. Just keep up the good work.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Yea I know hopefully I'll get more recent vids up for another analyzation after we get some stuff down.

saberhof

Smash Master
yea most of these I've tried to get him to do but maybe if I show him this thread now he might listen.

He's really into waveshining right now even though everything else is kinda weak, tech wise.
why doesnt he use fox then?...if not then i guees everyone has said everything.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
yeah i hated shield grabbing back when i couldnt lcancel. it was really frustrating.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
even if he has seen dashizwiz play or seen bs vids, watching a good falco and being one are not the same thing. it's very easy to watch a video and critique what someone should have done differently. that being said, it's pretty easy to tell a good falco from a bad one. just b/c your friend has seen a good falco doesn't mean he really knows how to play well as falco. i'm not saying he hasn't improved-- i just want to emphasize the difference b/t watching and performing.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Yea he knows that fact pretty well between seeing and doing.

Saberhof-Well he doesn't have fast enough fingers for fox at the moment and I think he hates fox due to me comming back 3 stocks to 1 with pure shine spikes. So yea I don't see him picking fox up at any point.

Top Bottom