• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Fox please.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Hiya my name is LiL.Will and I have been playing Project M seriously for like a month now.
I've been wanting to improve my game alot so luckily the tourney I went to had vids of me there we a bunch of matchups I didn't especially since I never played Fox in melee.

Here are some friendlies im using the "Pyrex" tag after the first match its pretty much all me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGYoMLGoC-8G

LiL.Will (Green Brawl Fox) V.S. TxZero (Regular Melee Fox) Matches 1,2,&3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhtWaCI2JY

LiL.Will (Fox) V.S. Micah (Sonic) Matches 1 & 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlRIQjK-3no

As you see I need a ton of practice but im willing to put in the effort thanks in advance for watching and the advice!

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
you should dash dance around shields more, and try to move faster overall on stage. Your movement is good for someone who's only been playing a month. don't throw out so many obvious up smashes, good players have much better punish games than the people you were playing against and probably could have combo'd you to death if you were that reckless against them

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
you should dash dance around shields more, and try to move faster overall on stage. Your movement is good for someone who's only been playing a month. don't throw out so many obvious up smashes, good players have much better punish games than the people you were playing against and probably could have combo'd you to death if you were that reckless against them
Ok cool i'll keep that in mind from now on also what about the matchups? I have no experience on how to go at them I just try to adapt to the player.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
you should be adapting to the player, project m is different to melee in the sense that there are way too many matchups to play each individually. overall, if you improve your pressuring and movement in the neutral game you should be able to beat any player in theory if you are able to adapt in time. Adaptability is something that's only learned through a lot of matchup variation and experience, it should come over time.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
I pretty much agree with foxygrandpa. The only other thing I would add would be to use platforms more. You full hop double jumped through a lot of them when you could jump -> waveland off the platform -> fast fall aerial. It would be a lot faster and would help mix up your approaches a bit.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Disclaimer: I didn't read any above posts, sorry if I repeat anything.

I think your platform game needs polishing. Maybe work on using less double jumps and work on single full hopping but wavelanding right when Fox's feet are above the platform. This will not only make you faster, but reduce the risk of somebody hitting you out of double jump and taking away your second jump (especially deadly at higher percents, since Fox is easy to edgeguard).

Your rhythm for shielding should be a bit less random, and tad quicker. I see several times where Falco is not attempting any attacks, yet you are repeatedly shielding and then jump-shining. Most Falco's would have just grabbed you.

Applying shield pressure is a good part of Fox's game. Make sure that when you are throwing your drill-shines or N-air-shines that the enemy will not have time to shield grab you, or that you are able to take to the air again fast enough to keep them shielding. If you jump out of waveshine, even if it fails, and the enemy tries to grab you, short hopping will get them hit by the exact attack they just shielded. And the beauty is, if they try to roll, Fox is fast enough that you can usually get an easy up-smash just by following them.

More lasers, especially on people off the stage that you can't currently work on edgeguarding.

I didn't finish the video, sorry, but here is what I thought from the few minutes I did watch, hope it helps and that I don't sound like a jerk.

EDIT: I watched the second video, and I have nothing to do, so here goes.

Firstly, good job in this one! I could see you actually got more careful with your approach starting with your second stock, unfortunately, that Fox had something you didn't: Combos

In this matchup, the Fox I usually see win is the one that plays less aggressively. You did play less aggressively, but you want to be using moves such as Up-Tilt and Down-Tilt (bit risky, uptilt is safer) because these are insanely spammable on other spacies. Hell, without the enemy DI, you can get 6-7 hit combos on Fox with Fox only using Up-Tilt.

There were a couple moments I saw where both players were standing still, doing nothing. After one of these moments, you were upsmashed to your death. Make sure when you're playing somebody as fast as Fox that you don't have downtime in between your decisions. If you aren't entirely sure what is going on with your character or what is about to happen, shield-jumping can be a good filler.

Instead of always SHFLL-ing for your approach, consider when it might be a good idea to land your standard running attack. This can lead into a multitude of other attacks, including Up-Smash against other spacies.

Again, hope this helps somewhat!

Last edited:

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Thanks for all the tips guys theres a tourney coming up the 22nd so im really trying to prepare for that as much as possible.

Top Bottom