• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my falcon and gimme tips on ways to get in on this bird

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone, im brown nite AKA Nite$ how are yall doing today
Im pretty much looking for some ways to get in when in the neutral that i may not be doing. Please don't tell me to powershield because i know powershield helps but you cant learn that **** over night. Also see what I can do better for combo damage, getting in, whatever. Swear to god guys i already know power shielding will turn the match upside down just gimme some time to perfect it gahl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wvBgHaJbzc&list=PL-jUP9tnUJHvfDAGMVyKyF6xyR6IfjmRD&index=16

Myst0

Smash Cadet
Ok first thing I noticed was you went to FD first game against falco.... your going to get destroyed by lasers watched the first game then second game you went back to FD then looked ahead and saw more FD. So my advice is to not take spacies to FD because they have advantage over falcon there.

also you need to dash dance in and out of falcos comfort zone because if he thinks you are closer then you won't throw out as much lasers and if you stay within a certain area he probably won't because you can cover a lot of ground.

I really liked how you got out of falcos pressure when he was going against your shield you seem to know that timing pretty well but maybe instead of rolling try some dairs out of shield sometimes when you think you can get them don't spam them but they can be super good at times.

try not to nair all the time in neutral try to combine your movement into a bait and grab or something like that. (it works alot better when your not on FD because you get more movement which means more options)

P.S Power shielding helps :p

mel0

Smash Cadet
It was just funny because it was unexpected. I had never seen that before.

Waves

Smash Rookie
bair/stomp oos, dont nair so much mix it up, empty short hop then wavedash in or out to grab or another nair. your tech chases were good, go for run up grabs more to get him to spotdodge/run away and then nair to cover it up, make him guess how you are gonna approach.

Last edited:

ight

Smash Rookie
Observations:

• Way too much nair approach. This is very, very bad against spacies of a higher caliber. Do this too often, and they will CC and respond unforgivingly.

• You need to dash dance more and be comfortable with it. Get used to dash dancing and then immediately acting out of it at any time.

• Not enough grabbing. I'm not sure if you truly utilized any JC grabs. There were a ton of circumstances in the first game in which you could have grabbed to keep it going.

• You have a delayed response. There were times when you grabbed the ledge, processed what just happened, then continued to play. There were times when you landed the hit, processed, then continued. See what I mean? Skip the "processing..." part.

• You absolutely must learn how to powershield Falco's lasers. I personally use the OPPOSITE trigger that I wavedash with to powershield. I also plug in my controller with that trigger held down (This allows you to bypass lightshielding, which doesn't allow for powershielding. This helps with powershielding exponentially.) Learn the speed and timing of the lasers. If you can show that you are able to powershield you will instill hesitation in a Falco player that spams lasers.

• More utilization of uair. Short-hop uair, ledge-hop uair, everything. It's a dope move that helps in so many circumstances.

Good luck brother. And watch a lot of 20GX.

JZhu

Smash Rookie
Ik its kind of an old thread, but one of the bigger and more general things i see is that you keep retreating and giving falco space which allows him to laser and gather momentum. Biggest thing in my opinion is just learning how to stay in an effective zone where u can threaten and limit his laser options.

JPM_ACE

Smash Rookie
NNID
DEATHTHEA
becareful about choosing fd against falco. hmmmm im not very good on explaining, but ill try. you should use up-air strings alot, and choose stages with platforms, like battlefield, it helps falcon alot with his strings. and also choose stages where you can walljump, to help your recovery. lol im sorry i dont sound so helpful, but i actually have footage of my falcon on my youtube channel called, JPM_ACE. you should really check that out please, you can watch my falcon style and see how to use the up air strings, i hope its helpful, cuz i play competitively. and if youd like, i also recomend you watch my falcon combo video i made, it basically sums up my playstyle, so watch that if maybe you dont want to watch alot of my vids. and btw, good job using captain falcon c:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I don't really know how an "experienced" smash4 player would not be able to tell the difference between a melee match and a smash4 match.

poopboy2002

Smash Rookie
You picked FD against falco, that's probably your biggest mistake. I noticed that you tend to fthrow a lot at the edge, why? If you have a little bit of space between you and the edge, you can do a quick turnaround bair (given they DI inwards, which they probably will if they're at low %) and cover literally every option, as you will have time to regrab the tech inwards. If you're at medium percent and they DI incorrectly, you can also dropzone knee them for a guaranteed kill. Similar to your downthrow -> dsmash at like 2:50, really good option coverage!

Overall you need to grab way more, I think if you did single hit neutral air -> grab instead of always hitting falco with both hits it would let you techchase and get free %.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
Here's a tip if you get locked down by laser

Learn to dash out of them so you can learn to whiff punish

laser -> aerial

can possible pivot aerial punish laser -> laser or reverse laser -> laser

powershielding option is there to learn,(easier) z-powershield if you kind of claw

I would play on fd when I used to my opponent not the first match

Your need to learn how to convert harder than the falco layer as mentioned by the previous poster(s) because neutral is hard vs falco(esp on fd) and need to make the most of every knockdown

Thats how you'll scare the falco player

Everyone else covered important points that I also noticed.

I noticed that you don't try to take stage and prevent him from lasering in the first place and pressure while he is cornered and play with his defensive habits so you can trick him into give you a grab. You can't pressure him all the time obviously, thats something I m learning as well so we're in the same boat I guess.

I ll add more stuff later

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I feel like your fundamentals are great.

You can't punish hard enough.

Also, why would you ever go FD against Falco?

Top Bottom