• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique for my R.O.B.

Elliott Crawford

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elliance1
3DS FC
3695-0557-2895
I have a 14 minute long YT video of my R.O.B. and would like some constructive criticism.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-OjYamK82zw

I am sooooo sorry about the video quality! I had to pull a McGuyver and do this with the little resources I had because I'm still dependent and don't have my own money to spend. So please bear with me. The Ness match was cut short because I realized that there was a glare in Magicant. I'm playing on the 3DS because my Wii U has a hard time with FG.

If you stuck around to watch the video anyway, thanks, I appreciate your help ^_^

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Greetings @ Elliott Crawford Elliott Crawford !

Projectiles:
You seem to have a good overall awareness of when to gyro + laser.
I saw you go above your opponent and throw down the gyro from above, but never any followups. What you may or may not realize is that the direction ROB is facing when he tosses the gyro determines which direction the opponent will fly once they're hit by it. This can lead to sick followups.
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQDwjDlij9U (Brawl video but still very relevant) 0:00 - 2:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGkEkVUwXE (Smash Wii U reference)

Downthrow > Up air:
When performing this, you have a few options:
  • If he's a low %s (and you aren't incredibly high) then you get a free followup.
  • If he's midhigh %s then he might be able to airdodge. If he has a habit of doing this, wait for it, then up air.
  • If he is at kill % and you have even a good chunk of rage on you (~30%+) then he can probably jump out depending on the character.
This is all a game of rock paper scissors since your opponent can air dodge quicker than he can jump. So assess the situation, look for habits and react accordingly.

UpSmash:
Use upsmash more for reading rolls
Use it out of shield by performing a jump cancelled upsmash which is when you should shield (don't ever let go of it) then you press jump > up > A. This will allow you to upsmash someone after blocking a hit.

Dair:
You made interesting use of this. I like it.

Dtilt:
I like what I'm seeing, just try to get more followups off of it. My favorite one is an instant dash attack. To perform this, flick the control stick to which direction you want to dash attack, then flick the c stick down instantly. The reason this is a thing is bc if you tried it with A instead of c stick, you will smash if you do the input too fast. This way you can do the quickest dash attack possible. Also, dashattack can lead to more followups.

Also dtilt > grab is good whether or not you land dtilt or not bc a lot of ppl will freeze up in shield.

Recovery:
  • If you stutter ROB's up b, you will go higher while conserving fuel.
  • Use bair to give you momentum back to the stage without wasting a jump or fuel.
  • Save your 2nd jump. Don't use it as soon as you get knocked off the stage as a reflex.
  • Try and work on landing with nair better. You choose that option, but in order to optimize it, make sure to fast fall it, and land it right as it ends so it "autocancels" into any option you like whether it be offensive or defensive.
Wrap up:
Overall you seemed like you had good fundamentals down. I like what you're doing with gyro a lot. Def try to take it further man. Hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't afford to invest more time into the critique.

p.s.
Jab more.

Last edited:

Elliott Crawford

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elliance1
3DS FC
3695-0557-2895
Yo thanks man ^_^ I really appreciate you taking time to go in depth as much as you did, it really helps! I liked screwing around the the gyro in Brawl as a kid so I try to be creative with where I place the gyro. I did not know you could stutter with the up-b, I'll practice that next time. Other things I want to work on

A. Utilizing Nair better, I also found some pretty neat follow ups as well

B. I find myself playing super scared and defensive at high percentages and roll all over the stage which is a hard punish waiting to happen

C. Grow out of my reflexes like jumping agter being knock away and spamming the bejesus out of dash attack whenever my opponent misses a move

D. Catch in to my opponents' habits like rolling away from me when I approach them after they whiffed a move or liking to spot dodge a lot. I think having a good awareness of what my opponents patterns are on neutral will give me an easier time when I face them up close

E. Getting back to the goddamn stage!!!! I swear its characters like Falcon, Sonic, or Sheik that makes me hate R.O.B.'s recovery speed! Watching Tantalus, Chiibo, and some other random R.O.B. players there are different approaches that I will try out. I know now that being far away vertically or horizontally without a second jump is a bad place for me because it is not a matter of getting to the ledge, it is a matter of what come between you and the ledge on your way there!

F. Getting better at character match ups that I have a bad time with, like freaking SONIC AND SHEIK! One if my best friends plays Sonic and I hate it so much. Creative as hell with the spindash and always springs away when he misses! I had a match where I was getting messed up by Sonic in last stock and he almost took no damage it was that bad! I wanted to show it but I forgot to save the replay. Shiek is super obvious of course. I also have problems with Falcon as shown by me getting f'd up by him in my first stock of game 2, but I think I'm getting better at keeping at bay (probably because its eadier to hit him due to his size)

G. Go to tournaments eventually, I don't know where I stack up compared to other players that are way better than I am

H. Finally, acting faster while under pressure. Whenever Im getting juggled or when momentum isn't going my way, I don't panic but I take a long brainstorming a way to get out of my current predicament, so Im always slow to air dodge or roll when I need to or throwing out a fast move to get them off me. To be fair, R.O.B. doesn't have a lot in the ways of ensuring a safe landing but growing as a player requires me to make due with my limitations.

Last edited:

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Yo thanks man ^_^ I really appreciate you taking time to go in depth as much as you did, it really helps! I liked screwing around the the gyro in Brawl as a kid so I try to be creative with where I place the gyro. I did not know you could stutter with the up-b, I'll practice that next time. Other things I want to work on

A. Utilizing Nair better, I also found some pretty neat follow ups as well

B. I find myself playing super scared and defensive at high percentages and roll all over the stage which is a hard punish waiting to happen

C. Grow out of my reflexes like jumping agter being knock away and spamming the bejesus out of dash attack whenever my opponent misses a move

D. Catch in to my opponents' habits like rolling away from me when I approach them after they whiffed a move or liking to spot dodge a lot. I think having a good awareness of what my opponents patterns are on neutral will give me an easier time when I face them up close

E. Getting back to the goddamn stage!!!! I swear its characters like Falcon, Sonic, or Sheik that makes me hate R.O.B.'s recovery speed! Watching Tantalus, Chiibo, and some other random R.O.B. players there are different approaches that I will try out. I know now that being far away vertically or horizontally without a second jump is a bad place for me because it is not a matter of getting to the ledge, it is a matter of what come between you and the ledge on your way there!

F. Getting better at character match ups that I have a bad time with, like freaking SONIC AND SHEIK! One if my best friends plays Sonic and I hate it so much. Creative as hell with the spindash and always springs away when he misses! I had a match where I was getting messed up by Sonic in last stock and he almost took no damage it was that bad! I wanted to show it but I forgot to save the replay. Shiek is super obvious of course. I also have problems with Falcon as shown by me getting f'd up by him in my first stock of game 2, but I think I'm getting better at keeping at bay (probably because its eadier to hit him due to his size)

G. Go to tournaments eventually, I don't know where I stack up compared to other players that are way better than I am

H. Finally, acting faster while under pressure. Whenever Im getting juggled or when momentum isn't going my way, I don't panic but I take a long brainstorming a way to get out of my current predicament, so Im always slow to air dodge or roll when I need to or throwing out a fast move to get them off me. To be fair, R.O.B. doesn't have a lot in the ways of ensuring a safe landing but growing as a player requires me to make due with my limitations.
Mister Eric pretty much summed it up nicely. I'll throw in my two cents as well. Both R.O.B.'s Nair and gyro are his best tools to use. I noticed you didn't use Nair that much, which is really good for spacing and is good move to get back on stage from above since the hitbox of this move is very big and it goes through a lot of moves. I would advise you to use this move more as its just too good to pass up.

What really makes R.O.B. stand out from the rest is his amazing gyro which can be used for mind games, mix ups, and spacing. This is pretty much what makes R.O.B. amazing for me and I'm glad to see you use the gyro to great effect here. Though my advice is to try to mix up the gyro a bit more since I noticed you got a little predictable with using the gyro. Other then that you did really well with the gyro.

Well that's all I got for now and I don't want sound like a broken record since again Mister Eric mentioned most if not all that I wanted to cover. I hope this helps!

Also great games and I loved the spike you did at the end with captain falcon!

Top Bottom