• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique against fox

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
So a bit of context, I've been playing melee for a little over a year now, but I mained Falcon for most of it, it was only halfway through the summer this year I made the switch to Sheik, and I've improve tremendously since.
So because of that I recently got a chance to play on stream against one of our scene's higher ranked players.

Now to start off I know I really screwed up with finishing my food.
I wanna say and John that I was running the melee bracket for this tournament and didn't get any chances to warm up before hand, but that only really effected my edge guarding where I went and assumed he would illusion back on stage.
But that's the only John.
Anyway, anything would help, thanks!

This is round 2 losers side of Melee top 32.
The melee bracket had 76 entrants.
https://youtu.be/IOPJGzKroCs?t=1m8s

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Occasionally you throw out silly dash attacks (sometimes at low percents which are pretty shine able even if you hit them). Additionally whilst I'm not against fullhop to go to a platform you seem to empty full hop as well/fullhop aerial as well. shorthop is simply better if you're not going to a platform.
If you throw a fox offstage it's pretty good to jump needle to check his double jump. If you snipe it you can go after him and fair cause he's forced to up b if he doesn't nothing is lost. If you expect a side b you can also do standing needle. In general you seem to not use needles that much whilst they are an amazing tool. Another thing I saw was that you don't wavedash oos and opt for the roll in some cases where wavedash would simply be better. I also saw you can't shielddrop, it's a pretty good tool to have.

tldr use needles more and in your edgeguard start using shorthop learn wavedash oos/shielddrop and do less weird dash attacks. (also those 2 weird dairs were questionable but there were only 2 so whatev)

Last edited:

Ministry

Smash Ace
big things i noticed.

stop trying to make reads with up smash. i use to do that way back so i know what its like, just don't do it. esp when hes low %. if you want to make a read, back throw at low % to charge up smash covers air dodge, which a lot of good players will use as their first option. but you will get much more out of different options then with up smash. its OK if u occasionally do it on a down throw. but 3 times a game is way too much.

work on your tech chases, be more patient and try to re grab. you put yourself in really good positions then drop them.

walk more in neutral. you either play super defensive or super aggro and nothing in between. walk is a great answer to foxes that laser camp you. don't be afraid of the laser damage, your grab will more than make up for it.

it looks like you practice your movement a lot and try to be really fast, it works, but try to move for a reason. your movement should be making him whiff/making him miss space or catching him with boost grabs, not just to look super fast. you wave dash a lot and dash dance a lot and it is tricking him into miss spacing, but you are not doing anything with it. there were plenty of times where you could of grabbed in neutral.

a lot of times you dash then run at fox, and at the end you choose and option only to get blocked by shield. i find a lot vs fox you can replace your dash attacks/d-smash/up-smash after run with a boost grab, and it solves all your problems.

(think of it this way, if you hit with the dash attack, you would of grabbed anyway. if they shield the dash attack, you would of grabbed anyway) i think you should reserve dash attacks for when you are in a combo, or at a lot higher % where you will get a knockdown.

general rules i use against fox

dash attack after 30%
be in the air more at early % so you can land a needle grab.

if you want specific examples or further critique i can Skype you or message u on Facebook if you would like. I have also played this fox when i lived in Calgary, and also when he came to Montreal. hes good, but i didn't find him particularly good in this specific match up.

very impressive play for 6 months though.

Last edited:

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
if you want specific examples or further critique i can Skype you or message u on Facebook if you would like. I have also played this fox when i lived in Calgary, and also when he came to Montreal. hes good, but i didn't find him particularly good in this specific match up.

very impressive play for 6 months though.
Thanks for the tips so far.
And yeah that would actually be great, my Facebook is Aaron Stephanyshyn.

IckyCafe

Smash Rookie
I think that at low percents against fox (somewhere around 40 percent) you hit him with dash attack and try to downsmash when hes above you and he DIs out of it and gets out of it for free and tech rolls away. I think a better option after dash attack is an up tilt and gives you either a free grab or another tilt. Also, at like 50 percent an up smash will also work(depending on DI) and this opens up a whole new game to combos as you can follow with so many moves its ridiculous. Also what Ministry said. Don't dash attack a fox below 30 percent. If they're good at the MU then they'll know they can just CC it

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
-Unless you are able to set up an edgeguard with f/bthrow, always downthrow fox. ESPECIALLY at low percents.

-Too often a light shield came out after your wavedash. This means you are holding l/r for too long.

-You make good use of fair off of platforms. Often when you and fox both had an equal amount of stage, you would go up to the platform, he would try and take stage by going under you, and you would fair him for being aggressive. This is good and worked multiple times, but I have two recommendations...
1) Be cautious of jumping to the platform when fox is close to you. Being under Sheik is a very favorable position, and if they hare close enough to you they can take this control before you have time to punish them for moving forward. Save this option for when he is at safe laser distance, or if you are backed up to the ledge and have to take a risk;
2) Try to mix in needle grabs from platforms too. Needle grab will give you a much larger punish if you read that the opponent is going to try to encroach on your space, however fair is a much safer option. In general, Sheik's fair in this situation is safest because you can AC and dash back, ftilt, dash attack, grab, etc. almost immediately after landing. But if you see them try to take stage, let the needles fly.

-Work on tech chases. We all need to do it.

-1:49... wut? Haha, I get that you thought he was going to illusion back onto the stage, but upsmash is not a good edgeguarding option with Sheik. Even if you had guessed right and he had illusioned back, it would have made much more sense and been much safer just to ftilt>fair. Don't go for upsmash near the ledge. The risk/reward is just not worth it.

-SH AC fair is AMAZING against Fox. However, not in the way you were using it. Approaching with sh ac fair is very very unsafe, and doesn't require a read to punish. As soon as you sh towards your opponent, they can punish you on reaction, and the punish is going to be brutal since Sheik has so few options when she is above her opponent. The way you should be using sh ac fair is retreating. Dash in, sh backwards, ac fair. This is soooo safe. Assuming you spaced the short hop correctly, spacies can't punish the fair without getting hit by it. So basically, either you hit them with the fair, or you land with a bunch of empty space in front of you. Once you land, if the Fox has tried to dash in and take the space that you left, you can grab, dash attack, ftilt, etc. from a safe position. You could even dash back>pivot/crouch/dd to open up a whole new world of options. If the Fox respects the fair and doesn't encroach on your space, you can just dash forward and reclaim the space that you gave up FOR FREE. Too good. Use this. Plz.

-The key to the Fox MU is to make him respect your space. If Fox can just be in your face non stop you are going to lose, period. Make him feel unsafe when he tries to get close to you, and you will have the upper hand.

I only watched the first match fyi, but this is what I observed. All in all it looked pretty good. You didn't throw out a ton of stupid punishable moves (there were some, but there always will be some) and you made Fox respect your space pretty well.

Top Bottom