• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating Roy Neutral Air Tutorial (Looking for help)

Due to the versatility of this move and just how good it is all-around, with its incredibly low landing lag, high hitstun and ability to combo, high damage on sweetspots, constant coverage around Roy's body (most importantly to cover behind him as he lands) and how it goes with Roy as he moves, frame advantage if tipped on shield, only four frames of frame disadvantage if sweetspotted on shield, how aerials never clank and either hit, trade, or whiff, and possibly more, I've been thinking of just how good and important this move is to Roy's arsenal.

After hearing "he's really good with Roy's nairs" from commentary on my most recent set, and thinking recently about making Roy tutorials, the two thoughts overlapped and I figured I'd start with a tutorial covering one move alone: His neutral air.

Do you guys have any advice on neutral air's versatility and uses? I'd like everything possible on how to make the move as useful as possible. Do you love the move and think it's one of Roy's best? Hate the move and think it's overrated? I'd like to hear any and all opinions to help with the video.

Any footage of neutral air being used in noteworthy ways, in videos that showcase combos or where it gets mileage in sets? I would like that raw footage to use to compliment my tutorial, to make it easier for me, and to provide higher-quality clips than ones I would be making myself.

tHROW iT aT mE fAM

Last edited:

GREENWRIST

Smash Rookie
NNID
GREENWRIST
3DS FC
3883-4706-8608
I've never really used it for combos, I have it more as a keepaway. I have used a nair linking up to an f tilt a few times

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Nair gets killed by any diagonal approaches like Ryu's Dair or WFT's reversed Fair. Other than that it's good for getting an opponent past neutral

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Nair is good. Forward throw into nair is a long-lasting and excellent mid/high percent combo. Low percent, nair links into grab, DB, another nair, other aerials etc...

That said, nair is not a good choice if the opponent is already above you or if you think they're going to go above you. As of the last patch, forward air is actually quite safe as long as you hit something. The sweetspot is not JUST directly inside Roy. It reaches out a good way, about a character's length from Roy. If you sweetspot their shield and land close to the ground, you will be safe so long as you throw a dtilt or jab out after. Fair is generally a better choice vs characters who go in the air a lot in my opinion. Just don't whiff.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Can't Nair jab-lock? also first hit of Nair is really good for follow-ups.

Top Bottom