• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPUs and Humans, the Difference to an Olimar

Val

Smash Rookie
Hello, long-time lurker. I've just recently made an account due to Brawl fervor, I never really felt I had much to contribute before as I'm not a competitive player to say the least. Not that I'm bad, but I'd probably classify myself as an advanced amateur. In any case when Brawl came out I experimented with a few new characters, namely Ike, Lucario, and Toon Link before settling on Olimar as a potential new main. I and my crew have all been learning the ropes before we really got together competitively, and I have just been learning the Olimar basics versus CPUs for the past few days.

All meandering aside, my question is when playing Olimar what techniques and other things should I be aware of against humans that don't showcase themselves as prominently against CPU's?

Rorus Raz

Smash Rookie
A computer does not realize that Olimar's Up B is rendered useless against an edgehog. This is a major weakness of Olimar, and once a person realizes it they WILL do it.

Practice your whistles and throwing Purple Pikmin. Also, Up B gives a tiny jump, which can make a difference between recovery or losing a stock.

Even at 9, computers don't seem to try to remove Pikmine or prevent Pikmin thrown. I've had CPUs just let Whites beat on them.

Hashire Kazemeijin

Smash Cadet
An experienced player will attemp to shoot down any Pikmin thrown at them, whether it was tossed via a Smash or F-B, whereas CPU's primarily try to dodge them. And should a Pikmin latch onto a human opponent, they would, on average, get of one to two hits before being disposed of. And as mentioned above, human opponents will take advantage of Olimar's tether recovery and edgehog him to death. One suggesstion I could make is to toss a White at an opponent and react to how they react. Should it be killed, use Pluck and react to the opponents counter-attack. Should it be dodged, either Whistle it back or attack the opponent while they go to kill the White. Should it latch on, the opponent MUST kill off the White or suffer a large amount of dmg, so use this time accordingly to dispose of your opponent or fortify your force with Pluck.

Top Bottom