• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU a little unfair? Or just crazy dodging speeds?

Phixion

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ephixion
3DS FC
3153-5590-1814
Before this starts I've been playing fighting games for a very long time. (Pretty much since I was 4 starting off with street fighter 2) I am not "Pro" but I am not any amateur when it comes to fighting games. I've played every installment of ssb and I have to say that the dodge recovery on this game is quite insanely fast. I mean fast enough to spam. I've just received the demo via email and I've been using Megaman, Mario, and Pikachu mostly. I jumped on the game and instantly put it on lvl 9 Link cpu and used megaman and 2-0'd him. That being said I feel pretty confident that my skill isn't mediocre and I very much know how to combo. Although I find it pretty hard to combo any grabs, (Not chain grabbing) but to just grab into up air or into any tilts period. The cpu will air dodge too fast for the combo to connect. Now on some very rare occasions when the percent is at a certain limit you can chain. Although I usually find myself with Mario especially and Megaman not able to chain up throw into up air. In fact I will miss the up air then try to catch him again since Mario has very short airs and the computer will dodge again to dodge my second attack, and even if I do not attack he will dodge twice just because I'm above him and I guess the cpu is predicting me? Eventually in the end I found this play predictable so I will jump and let them air dodge (even as I press nothing) and just catch the cpu at the split second the frame is right to combo them? Kinda sorta I guess. As Mario's comboing seems to be everything as his play style gos alot off of his very short airs and ground attacks. But the computer just won't let me combo. Although watching a few matches of VGBootCamp and Clash tournaments playing I see real players comboing eachother fine, and I am moving the same speed as them. Any confirmations that the computer are just super crazy at reacting to near instant frames? Or am I just really going that slow (which I'm not). Please give positive real constructive feedback. I really am trying to get better and progress but these CPUs just don't seem right as they are crazy dodging machines at lvl 9 that dodge and block everything. Literally have to be just predicted for me.

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
I have no trouble with level 9 CPU's...although I have played quite alot of smash over the years.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Haven't had any issues thus far with level 9s, just when playing as Villager and thats cause I just can't use him. every other character so far I wreck the CPUs

Oort

Smash Cadet
If they can air-dodge in time it's not really a combo, and it's theoretically possible for a real player to get out of it. I suspect the issue is that you think you're comboing but there's a window where the opponent is actually out of hit-stun, however small.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I do feel like the CPU has definitely improved over brawl and melee, although I do wish there were higher levels than 9...

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I just have the NA demo right now and I can dominate LVL9 CPU easily with Link or Mega Man.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
The Level 9 CPUs aren't that hard in this game. They're a big improvement from before, but they're still exploitable, predictable, and a bit dumb.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
They are pretty swift at dodging. I will agree with that. I wouldn't say they are really difficult though.

As for comboing mario seems the best. Down throw at low percent. Up tilt a couple of times then jump and quickly attack.

The biggest exploit I've seen from them is that they dodge almost every time they are sent flying upward. You can catch them during the recovery.

Last edited:

Phixion

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ephixion
3DS FC
3153-5590-1814
As I said even without comboing I can take out 2 stocks and lose none. I know it's predictable but down throw barely even puts them in a position to get up tilted. I'll test it more but really do feel their dodging is ridiculous. Also do not misinterpret my thread. I have never once called them hard. Just annoying to fight since they are dodging more than they are attacking. Literally.

Phixion

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ephixion
3DS FC
3153-5590-1814
Really wish I had a capturing device. It would make it alot more noticeable instead of people just thinking that I am not comboing correctly. When I say they can airdodge I mean literally they airdodge out of something that would have a normal person hit stunned. For example pikachu up throw at 60% into down special should be chainable but it's not.

Top Bottom