• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

cox+no router possible lag fix GUIDE

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
so i have a USB connector and Cox and i couldn’t get better then a yellow connection regardless of who i played against.

today i was messing around and i got it to where i can play FFA games with no lag. FOUR PEOPLE with no lag. im also seeing green games now in one on ones.

i have windows vista and ill post what worked for me. if it doesn’t work for you sucks. but if your stuck and can follow simple instructions you might as well try this.

I have Cox cable internet
I DO NOT HAVE A ROUTER
My computer runs windows VISTA, you can find the same information if you have xp or something just Google

“windows xp ipconfig”

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SHORT GUIDE FOR THE PROS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Find your ip information write down the following
IPV4 address
Subnet mask
Default gateway
DNS servers (this for me has three series of numbers you only need to write down TWO)

Create a new wii connection and manually set your ip-address/subnet mask/default gateway
Manually set a primary and secondary DNS server.
Set your MTU value to 1400

Test ssbb online

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<NOOB GUIDE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

first have your cable internet (Ethernet its called) plugged into one of your computers.

<<<<<<<(mind you this is only for vista if you have something else sucks)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

push START (bottom left)

where it says Start Search (just about an inch above your start button once its pushed)
type in CMD and push enter you should see a black window that says something like
C:\somecrap\morecrap>

type in

ipconfig /all

this will list all your current connections if your pro like me and have wireless you will see a crapload of them. because wireless blows were using the ETHERNET CONNECTOR (COX FTW) so use the scroll bar until you see a connection that has Ethernet in its name its probably the same for you, mine is called.

Ethernet adaptor local area connection

Write down and label the following things.

IPV4 address
Subnet mask
Default gateway
DNS servers (this for me has three series of numbers you only need to write down TWO)

now turn on your wii and go to

Wii options>wii settings>(right one page)>internet>connection settings

You should see three connections you want to pick one that says NONE. If all of your connections are being used (they say either wired or wireless) click on one you wouldn’t mind deleting and select CLEAR SETTINGS.

Once you’ve done this click on a connection that has the word NONE

choose wired connection

Your wii will try to do a connection test that will fail. Ignore the error code and just hit OK

After you push OK click on Change Settings. Go right TWICE and you will see Auto-Obtain IP address
Click on NO then click on advanced settings.

You will see three options

IP ADDRESS (Fill in the IPV4 number, be sure to include the periods.)
SUBNET MASK (subnet mask)
DEFAULT ROUTER (default gateway)

After you have filled all three out hit confirm

Go right ONE page

Auto-obtain DNS

Change this to no and push advanced settings

Primary DNS is the first series of numbers under (DNS SERVERS)

Secondary DNS is the second series of numbers under (DNS SERVERS)

Hit confirm

Go right two pages

MTU VALUE

Set this to 1400

Plug your USB connector/Ethernet cord into your wii (if you haven’t already) wait about a minute.

Push save.

Your wii will do a connection test again. If it works and your connected everything worked out.

For me this reduced my lag greatly if it doesn’t work for you im sorry and it sucks to be you =p

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
were poor gas prices are up so we have to resort to more resourceful ways like metal salvaging and changing numbers =(. the stock market is getting destroyed

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Based on your whole description here, the only thing it looks like you actually changed that might matter is the MTU. I'm not sure why that would help (in particular, I doubt any brawl packets are bigger than 1000 bytes anyway), but I guess Cox could be doing something goofy.

SloT

Smash Journeyman
I know this isn't totally related to YOUR post exactly, but this made me think - if you had the equipment to link your computer to your Wii (idk i cant think of the name) and connected it to a program, such as Hamachi which basically eliminates input lag, and if you AND your apponant could get it to work on both yours and your apponant's wii, you could possibly eliminate that lag that makes your reaction differences from ingame and controller reaction that makes WiFi annoying sometimes substantially less... if you dont understand what i said, i'll try to re explain when i get some food and coffee in my system..rofl

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
when i was at school (kent state hates wii people disconnect every 10 minutes ftl)

i changed just the IP address and DNS server and noticed a difference in lag i didnt even mess with the MTU value. so its more then just the MTU value.

i dont know why it helps. when i HAD a router half the time i would lose a connection until i changed it to a static IP so i guess cox is just ******** haha.

i notice much better gameplay. my lag is reduced from .5-.7 second delay to .2.-4 haha maybe it doesnt sound like a lot but gameplay online is MUCH more enjoyable now =D

Top Bottom