• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counterpicking

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Yes i've searched the topic.

I've never been to an official tournament, nor will I any time before BRAWL, but I was curious to know how counterpicking is done.

Is it Player X chooses character, Player Y can counter-pick a character, Player X can then in turn counter pick a level? (and who is X and Y is decided perhaps by a coin flip, or maybe seed related?)

I feel the answer should also be added to the Official Terms list.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yes i've searched the topic.

I've never been to an official tournament, nor will I any time before BRAWL, but I was curious to know how counterpicking is done.

Is it Player X chooses character, Player Y can counter-pick a character, Player X can then in turn counter pick a level? (and who is X and Y is decided perhaps by a coin flip, or maybe seed related?)

I feel the answer should also be added to the Official Terms list.
It depends on the tournament.

Generally, the preferred way to go about it is this:

Loser picks stage
Winner picks character
Loser picks character

So if you lost the first match, you could say "I choose Final Destination", your opponent says "I'm going Captain Falcon", you say "I'm going Jigglypuff".

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
At the tournaments I've played at, the loser gets to change his character in order to attempt to counter-pick the winner, who does not get to change his character. The stage is always random.

Luma

Smash Lord
well i know 2 different counterpicks

losers picks stage
winner picks char
loser picks char

loser picks char / random stage
loser picks stage / stays at char

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
well i know 2 different counterpicks

losers picks stage
winner picks char
loser picks char

loser picks char / random stage
loser picks stage / stays at char
i'm cool w/ that but, who's the loser when you both advance to say, the semi-finals, for your first round?

Luma

Smash Lord
random stage
and if the players cant pick chars they have to write it on a piece of paper and hand it over to an orga

Top Bottom