• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter picks, Punishes, and Ways to deal with ZSS?

JukeboxSSBM

Smash Rookie
Hey, been recently playing Sm4sh a little more with some friends around town and one of them is a ZSS main. I can deal with all of their secondary characters really well, but what are some good Counter pick stages/characters to ZSS? Along with some ways to punish missed moves or just how to play against her in general. I'm a Roy main but can use pretty much all the swordsmen besides Link decently. Not just looking for Roy specific tips though.

Oryx95

Smash Rookie
NNID
NofilN
Stage selection is dependent on a bunch of factors - part of it is the MU, another part is personal preference.

I don't think ZSS doesn't have any 'terrible stages' per se. She's godlike on Delfino and Halberd (ban those if you're not confident taking them there). But Battlefield helps continue her combos and Town & City has a low ceiling, so one mistake and you could be toast. Smashville is pretty neutral for the MU. Slightly less favourable stages would be Lylat & Castle Seige. Lylat is just weird becuase of the tilt but it doesn't mess up her recovery as bad as other characters since she has a tether. Personally not a big fan of Castle Siege. Duckhunt is decent but has a higher ceiling (I think) and ZSS is a character which more often kills from the top.

Her worst MUs are probably Sheik, Pikachu (small characters in general), Diddy, Mario and Ness.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Get her on anything with slopes and abuse the hell out of it
Just watch ESAM vs Nairo on Lylat

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Duckhunt is decent but has a higher ceiling (I think) .
I've tested this and no, it doesn't have a higher ceiling. It's the same as FD. However, since the stage is bigger the average hit is more likely to be towards the center stage so that does make a difference.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Pick Lylat. It's terrible for ZSS.

As for counters, Kirby is probably the hardest counter for ZSS. Pikachu is her worst matchup, but there is a significant learning curve with Pika. If you can duck with Kirby you can beat ZSS, provided you guys are around the same skill level. When Kirby is ducking, Zss pretty much has no approaching options except for sweet spotting a dash grab. Not a very safe option.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Pick Lylat. It's terrible for ZSS.

As for counters, Kirby is probably the hardest counter for ZSS. Pikachu is her worst matchup, but there is a significant learning curve with Pika. If you can duck with Kirby you can beat ZSS, provided you guys are around the same skill level. When Kirby is ducking, Zss pretty much has no approaching options except for sweet spotting a dash grab. Not a very safe option.
Ducking brings Kirby nowhere though. If you still space correctly he can duck all day and won't get anything done.
Kirby is NOT a counter for ZSS just because he can duck under her attacks. She still has way better mobility, more range and kills earlier.

Last edited:

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
Any other general tips for fighting Zamus? My friend has decided to pick her up and I had some trouble handling her.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Ducking brings Kirby nowhere though. If you still space correctly he can duck all day and won't get anything done.
Kirby is NOT a counter for ZSS just because he can duck under her attacks. She still has way better mobility, more range and kills earlier.
He's a counter because he eliminates all of her approach options except for dash grab. I don't see how forcing your opponent into using one of the most punishable moves in the game is getting you nowhere. Get the lead, duck, and wait for ZSS to approach. ZSS's mobility and range don't mean anything to a patient ducking kirby. As long as Kirby knows what her options are so he doesn't fall for obvious baits ZSS doesn't have much of an answer.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
He's a counter because he eliminates all of her approach options except for dash grab. I don't see how forcing your opponent into using one of the most punishable moves in the game is getting you nowhere. Get the lead, duck, and wait for ZSS to approach. ZSS's mobility and range don't mean anything to a patient ducking kirby. As long as Kirby knows what her options are so he doesn't fall for obvious baits ZSS doesn't have much of an answer.
I believe it when I see it. Does sound plausible though.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
How does Kirby deal with usmash, dsmash, dtilt, ftilt, up b and side b if he's crouching and not moving? Dsmash and side b Kirby can't punish even if he reacts to them (which he should) and shields them, and the rest is all too fast to be reacted to. Kirby has to take the time to move away from the threat of those moves in which case he's not crouching anymore, and ZSS will constantly force him to do that with far better mobility. Whenever that happens, Kirby is more likely to lose the situation because his tools in neutral are simply inferior to ZSS save for grab, and as such I don't see how Kirby will manage to win more situations than her and keep the lead. Now let's also consider all the times Kirby never manages to get the lead in the first place and it's not as simple as "crouch to win the mu".

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
How does Kirby deal with usmash, dsmash, dtilt, ftilt, up b and side b if he's crouching and not moving? Dsmash and side b Kirby can't punish even if he reacts to them (which he should) and shields them, and the rest is all too fast to be reacted to. Kirby has to take the time to move away from the threat of those moves in which case he's not crouching anymore, and ZSS will constantly force him to do that with far better mobility. Whenever that happens, Kirby is more likely to lose the situation because his tools in neutral are simply inferior to ZSS save for grab, and as such I don't see how Kirby will manage to win more situations than her and keep the lead. Now let's also consider all the times Kirby never manages to get the lead in the first place and it's not as simple as "crouch to win the mu".
Usmash- not an approach option.
dsmash- definitely not approach option.
dtilt- not an approach option
ftilt- doesn't hit
up b- definitely not an approach option
side b- easily punished with a power shield. I don't even think it hits, but I'd have to check.
You can spam dsmash or dtilt to slowly approach, but that's incredibly easy to just move away from and get back to crouching. Every other option is easy to block and punish.

Kirby's main weakness is approaching. He's really good when he gets in close though and has a fantastic combo game. ZSS weakness is approaching and her punishable grab. In this matchup, ducking eliminates Kirby's weakness and accentuates ZSS. He no longer has to approach, while she does and she has to rely more on her grab. It's just not a good MU for ZSS.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
Usmash- not an approach option.
dsmash- definitely not approach option.
dtilt- not an approach option
ftilt- doesn't hit
up b- definitely not an approach option
side b- easily punished with a power shield. I don't even think it hits, but I'd have to check.
You can spam dsmash or dtilt to slowly approach, but that's incredibly easy to just move away from and get back to crouching. Every other option is easy to block and punish.

Kirby's main weakness is approaching. He's really good when he gets in close though and has a fantastic combo game. ZSS weakness is approaching and her punishable grab. In this matchup, ducking eliminates Kirby's weakness and accentuates ZSS. He no longer has to approach, while she does and she has to rely more on her grab. It's just not a good MU for ZSS.
What I listed aren't traditional approach options, however you're missing the context here. When your opponent starts crouching (and wants to keep doing it), your approach options become anything that either hit them from their crouch or force them to stop doing that. I explained it already. The simple range ZSS has over Kirby means you can safely pressure them away from their crouch and then have your entire moveset available to you until they can crouch again.

Side B sweetspot hits crouches and so do the hits leading up to it, and even if you hit with only two hits the attack can't be powershielded. Although if you only connect with the last hit and Kirby powershields it, he's too slow to punish it regardless. When you say ftilt doesn't hit I hope you're aware downwards angled ftilt is one of ZSS' best and fastest options to poke at characters who think they can crouch under her moveset.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
What I listed aren't traditional approach options, however you're missing the context here. When your opponent starts crouching (and wants to keep doing it), your approach options become anything that either hit them from their crouch or force them to stop doing that. I explained it already. The simple range ZSS has over Kirby means you can safely pressure them away from their crouch and then have your entire moveset available to you until they can crouch again.

Side B sweetspot hits crouches and so do the hits leading up to it, and even if you hit with only two hits the attack can't be powershielded. Although if you only connect with the last hit and Kirby powershields it, he's too slow to punish it regardless. When you say ftilt doesn't hit I hope you're aware downwards angled ftilt is one of ZSS' best and fastest options to poke at characters who think they can crouch under her moveset.
They aren't just untraditional, they unviable. You can't just run up and downsmash, boostkick, or tilt. You may have forced him out of a crouch in doing so but you've also just delivered yourself on a silver platter for a free punish. The range ZSS has over kirby doesn't mean anything when He's ducking. Nothing you listed can out range him from his crouching position. Not even Side B. A sweetspot at the end of the tether will net you nothing unless he forgets to block and if you're close enough to hit him with the early hitboxes he's either going to punish you OOS or make a get away while you're in cooldown. Kirby's not as fast as us and doesn't have as much range as us, but he's not that slow either and has pretty decent range. He's very capable of capitalizing on a frame advantage and he nets that pretty easily against a ZSS trying to approach with smash attacks and tilts.

David Viran

Smash Lord
They aren't just untraditional, they unviable. You can't just run up and downsmash, boostkick, or tilt. You may have forced him out of a crouch in doing so but you've also just delivered yourself on a silver platter for a free punish. The range ZSS has over kirby doesn't mean anything when He's ducking. Nothing you listed can out range him from his crouching position. Not even Side B. A sweetspot at the end of the tether will net you nothing unless he forgets to block and if you're close enough to hit him with the early hitboxes he's either going to punish you OOS or make a get away while you're in cooldown. Kirby's not as fast as us and doesn't have as much range as us, but he's not that slow either and has pretty decent range. He's very capable of capitalizing on a frame advantage and he nets that pretty easily against a ZSS trying to approach with smash attacks and tilts.
Kirbys not punishing ftilt, dtilt, dsmash or side b unless he's really close. Ftilt angled down, dtilt, dsmash, and Side B do out range all of his moves even when he's crouching. How much rang do you think kirby has?

Last edited:

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Kirbys not punishing ftilt, dtilt, dsmash or side b unless he's really close. Ftilt angled down, dtilt, dsmash, and Side B do out range all of his moves even when he's crouching. How much rang do you think kirby has?
Didn't mean to imply that they don't have more range than him, obviously they do, but my point is that it doesn't net you any benefit. Kirby can most definitely punish tilts and dsmash. It's an easy short hop fair. How much range do you think we have? Side special depends entirely on the spacing, but either way the move is so laggy that if he doesn't get a punish he can reset easily.

I'm not saying a crouching kirby is completely impenetrable and you might as well unplug your controller. But he clearly forces us into very unfavorable options. There's a reason why we don't use downsmash or side special as a way to approach. There's a reason why tilts are used for shield pokes. I just don't see how anyone can say the matchup is in our favor. He forces us to approach while removing our best approaching tools, he takes away all of our boxing options, he makes grabbing difficult, we don't combo him very well while he combos us really well, and we don't even really beat him in the air except for zair. It's hard to think of anything we have going for us in this matchup other than early kills.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
You don't need to run up and dsmash or ftilt/dtilt, you can simply walk into just outside of Kirby's range and then start using your options. I'll just paint the picture here, and it's especially dedicated for the part I bolded. This is ZSS' dtilt range for instance:

What is Kirby going to do now when ZSS threatens him with an attack he can't react to? Dtilt is 8 frames, dsmash is safe and free pressure, jump canceled usmash is 10 frames and reaches from even further away than the previous two, and side b is safe and free pressure from an even longer distance. Kirby has nothing that can threaten ZSS from this range that's fast enough to catch you by surprise, whereas ZSS does along with slower but entirely safe moves. Kirby crouching in midrange like this is a stalemate to him at best. There is no more that Kirby can do out of a crouch than ZSS can do to him, and eventually Kirby will have to stop crouching. It just really isn't as simple as you make it out to be and it doesn't work like that presuming you space properly making it a guessing game for Kirby where you have the better odds of winning with better rewards.

Crouch is a good tool to quickly avoid some of ZSS' options instead of shielding and then retaliate faster, but thinking that Kirby sitting in crouch leaves Kirby with any more options than it does ZSS is just plain incorrect, as it's actually the opposite. This entire situation is literally so stupid and unproductive for both players that it should never happen the way you describe it.

Didn't mean to imply that they don't have more range than him, obviously they do, but my point is that it doesn't net you any benefit. Kirby can most definitely punish tilts and dsmash. It's an easy short hop fair. How much range do you think we have? Side special depends entirely on the spacing, but either way the move is so laggy that if he doesn't get a punish he can reset easily.

I'm not saying a crouching kirby is completely impenetrable and you might as well unplug your controller. But he clearly forces us into very unfavorable options. There's a reason why we don't use downsmash or side special as a way to approach. There's a reason why tilts are used for shield pokes. I just don't see how anyone can say the matchup is in our favor. He forces us to approach while removing our best approaching tools, he takes away all of our boxing options, he makes grabbing difficult, we don't combo him very well while he combos us really well, and we don't even really beat him in the air except for zair. It's hard to think of anything we have going for us in this matchup other than early kills.
Just going to say straight up that you keep making a lot of assumptions that are wrong. Spaced dsmash cannot be punished by anything in the game. It's not as safe as it was in Brawl but it's safe enough to not get punished by anything unless you use it right in the opponent's face letting them punish you with jabs (which you never should considering the move's long range). Nair also beats anything Kirby can do in the air and flip jump lets us escape his combos faster than he can escape or break ours. ZSS' bair also outranges just about Kirby's everything.

Last edited:

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Well lets count the frames.
ZSS down tilts, it connects at frame 9, and Kirby power shields.
Kirby is now able to act on frame 13-14.
ZSS is not able to act until frame 36.
Kirby now has at least a 22 frame advantage. There's a lot you can do with 22 frames.

Perfect shield downsmash, Kirby has a 12 frame advantage. Provided this is perfectly space, not much kirby can do. If you're too close or you whiff you get punished though, so it's not a very good option, especially as an approach.

P shield upsmash and you have over a 30 frame advantage. Not a good option either.

F tilt you get about 16 frames. Same as downsmash.

Plasma Whip's first hitbox is at 22 and the final is at 32. It's first actionable frame is 59. If you hit with the first box you're in trouble, if you hit with the final you're back to neutral.

Can kirby punish everything? Probably not. But by crouching, kirby is forcing you into a frame disadvantage. Nothing you do changes that, which is why the crouching position is so powerful. How you can call that a stalemate is beyond me. Maybe if you only use the safest moves, and space everything perfectly while he perfect shields everything it's a stalemate. You're still at a frame advantage, but not enough for him to punish. In reality that's not how it works out. You're going to miss spacing, he's going to miss shields, and there will be mix ups with empty movements and baits from both sides. Given the frame advantages though, Kirby has a lot more room for error than ZSS does. That's where the advantage is.

Also if you're hitting kirby with nair, Kirby isn't spacing properly. Flip kick is not an easy escape from kirby's combos. I said and meant combo's, not strings. ZSS is a good target for Kirby's Combos. Kirby is not a good target for ZSS combos.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Kirby now has at least a 22 frame advantage. There's a lot you can do with 22 frames.

Perfect shield downsmash, Kirby has a 12 frame advantage. Provided this is perfectly space, not much kirby can do. If you're too close or you whiff you get punished though, so it's not a very good option, especially as an approach.

P shield upsmash and you have over a 30 frame advantage. Not a good option either.

Plasma Whip's first hitbox is at 22 and the final is at 32. It's first actionable frame is 59. If you hit with the first box you're in trouble, if you hit with the final you're back to neutral.

Can kirby punish everything? Probably not. But by crouching, kirby is forcing you into a frame disadvantage. Nothing you do changes that, which is why the crouching position is so powerful. How you can call that a stalemate is beyond me. Maybe if you only use the safest moves, and space everything perfectly while he perfect shields everything it's a stalemate. You're still at a frame advantage, but not enough for him to punish. In reality that's not how it works out. You're going to miss spacing, he's going to miss shields, and there will be mix ups with empty movements and baits from both sides. Given the frame advantages though, Kirby has a lot more room for error than ZSS does. That's where the advantage is.

Also if you're hitting kirby with nair, Kirby isn't spacing properly. Flip kick is not an easy escape from kirby's combos. I said and meant combo's, not strings. ZSS is a good target for Kirby's Combos. Kirby is not a good target for ZSS combos.
Where did you get some of this frame data? If kirby PS dsmash he gets 4 frames of advantage when he can move again. PS still gives you the shield stun and you can't walk or run out until after the regular sheild drop frames. Also If kirby misses the PS he's potentially giving zss frame advantage as the shield lock frames will continue after sheild stun.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze

I'm just gonna drop one question to all of this; how do you powershield 6 (ftilt), 8 (dtilt) and 10 (usmash) frame moves? Presuming you're not a flea, you don't.

Even dsmash which is 20 frames isn't going to be simply powershielded because it has a 5 frame release and you can charge it for an extra few frames to throw your opponent off. Going for powershields on smash attacks against a good player just isn't viable.

?

If Kirby commits to crouching that means he's sitting still and letting go of all his mobility options until he stops crouching. Crouching is what puts him into a disadvantage because you can use moves that Kirby either can't react to or punish from a range where you can hit him but he cannot hit you because you have more range. Not being able to react to something means you cannot powershield it. The connection really shouldn't be that difficult to make. This means that Kirby will be taking either damage or shield damage while you aren't. Sometimes he may literally guess when you throw out an attack in which case you may get punished, but most of the time he won't because it requires a hard read. The times that Kirby stops crouching to move he's open for anything (and also probably capable to do a lot more for himself than by crouching).

This may be an occasional thing where Kirby can sit back and crouch to avoid certain burst options from ZSS, but as soon as you get into ZSS' ideal range for the moves I've talked about Kirby will have to stop crouching because of the one-sided threat and the match will move on normally until he escapes from your range again, and Kirby most definitely isn't Sonic when it comes to that.

Considering nair outranges most sword attacks in the game, what is proper spacing for Kirby then? His overall aerial mobility is worse and his range is shorter. He loses spacing in the air by default.

Last edited:

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Where did you get some of this frame data? If kirby PS dsmash he gets 4 frames of advantage when he can move again. PS still gives you the shield stun and you can't walk or run out until after the regular sheild drop frames. Also If kirby misses the PS he's potentially giving zss frame advantage as the shield lock frames will continue after sheild stun.
Kirby Frame data: http://pastebin.com/NJ4Q5PzU
Perfect Shielding: http://smashboards.com/threads/perfect-shielding-frame-data.381971/#post-18154480 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID4xD5rPjbQ
ZSS: http://www.kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Zero Suit Samus

My frame analysis is certainly rough, but I think it's pretty clear that Kirby has the frame advantage.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
Oh and I took the time to test this stuff on training mode by buffering actions in 1/4 speed. That's how I always test whether something is safe on someone or not.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
I'm just gonna drop one question to all of this; how do you powershield 6 (ftilt), 8 (dtilt) and 10 (usmash) frame moves? Presuming you're not a flea, you don't.

Even dsmash which is 20 frames isn't going to be simply powershielded because it has a 5 frame release and you can charge it for an extra few frames to throw your opponent off. Going for powershields on smash attacks against a good player just isn't viable.

?

If Kirby commits to crouching that means he's sitting still and letting go of all his mobility options until he stops crouching. Crouching is what puts him into a disadvantage because you can use moves that Kirby either can't react to or punish from a range where you can hit him but he cannot hit you because you have more range. Not being able to react to something means you cannot powershield it. The connection really shouldn't be that difficult to make. This means that Kirby will be taking either damage or shield damage while you aren't. Sometimes he may literally guess when you throw out an attack in which case you may get punished, but most of the time he won't because it requires a hard read. The times that Kirby stops crouching to move he's open for anything (and also probably capable to do a lot more for himself than by crouching).

This may be an occasional thing where Kirby can sit back and crouch to avoid certain burst options from ZSS, but as soon as you get into ZSS' ideal range for the moves I've talked about Kirby will have to stop crouching because of the one-sided threat and the match will move on normally until he escapes from your range again, and Kirby most definitely isn't Sonic when it comes to that.

Considering nair outranges most sword attacks in the game, what is proper spacing for Kirby then? His overall aerial mobility is worse and his range is shorter. He loses spacing in the air by default.
If all you ever do is hit the shield button based on reaction to an animation you'll never perfect shield anything other than a projectile. You perfect shield 6 frame attacks the same way you parry any attack in any fighting game. An approaching ZSS sets up easy reads for a ducking kirby with simple options that cover everything ZSS throws at you.

Right, well ZSS can take all of her mobility and run around showing off all of her tools. Crouching Kirby doesn't care. Mobility doesn't mean anything to a target you can't pressure.

Proper spacing for kirby is with his foot in your face, safely above your nair.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Kirby Frame data: http://pastebin.com/NJ4Q5PzU
Perfect Shielding: http://smashboards.com/threads/perfect-shielding-frame-data.381971/#post-18154480 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID4xD5rPjbQ
ZSS: http://www.kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Zero Suit Samus

My frame analysis is certainly rough, but I think it's pretty clear that Kirby has the frame advantage.
http://smashboards.com/threads/mechanics-techniques-discussion.368206/page-30#post-19312998

That shield thread is outdated.

Also crouching is not an approach. If zss has percent lead kirby can crouch all he wants.

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
If all you ever do is hit the shield button based on reaction to an animation you'll never perfect shield anything other than a projectile. You perfect shield 6 frame attacks the same way you parry any attack in any fighting game. An approaching ZSS sets up easy reads for a ducking kirby with simple options that cover everything ZSS throws at you.

Right, well ZSS can take all of her mobility and run around showing off all of her tools. Crouching Kirby doesn't care. Mobility doesn't mean anything to a target you can't pressure.

Proper spacing for kirby is with his foot in your face, safely above your nair.
None of this changes the fact that ZSS retains more options relative to Kirby whether it's a crouching scenario or not. Kirby's only options while crouching that pose a threat to ZSS are well-used defensive options into punishes. Kirby puts out no offensive pressure while crouching unless you go right up into his face, and clicking shield in anticipation of an attack can be baited from Kirby just like any other time. "ZSS can take all her mobility and run around" is actually a perfect example to emphasize how badly this sort of "crouch camping" works. You can simply keep dashing towards Kirby over and over and eventually make it all the way and either:

1. attack out of a dash with jc usmash, up b or pivot ftilt and:
a) hit him
b) get shielded and punished

2. put up shield in front of him to bait out an option and:
a) punish a move he threw out
b) up b or usmash out of shield if he does nothing
c) get grabbed

3. spotdodge or roll to bait out an option and:
a) evade a grab attempt and punish
b) evade an attack and punish
c) get punished for your option

4. fox trot into midrange to bait out an option and:
a) punish
b) hit him with dtilt, dsmash, jc usmash or side b by surprise
c) throw out side b or dsmash and do shield damage
d) throw out dtilt or jc usmash and get shielded and punished

This simple running around already puts you in a favorable scenario or forces Kirby to do something other than crouch because him being stationary makes him the player who has to guess one out of your several options. In addition you have tomahawks into ground options or dair while also partially covering Kirby's option of jumping out of his crouch, probably other things too that I couldn't come up with off the top of my head.

Also, above ZSS' nair is generally a place where you shouldn't be because you don't want that A button to be C-stick up into itself over and over instead. If Kirby's optimal spacing involves aerially challenging a character with more range and fast juggling aerials from an angle where Kirby can get hit by them, neutral sounds dangerous for him to say the least.

Anyway, I don't think this conversation serves purpose any longer as you've ignored most of the points I've made and stated several hard data related things incorrectly, all of which make this very unconstructive.

Last edited:

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
None of this changes the fact that ZSS retains more options relative to Kirby whether it's a crouching scenario or not. Kirby's only options while crouching that pose a threat to ZSS are well-used defensive options into punishes. Kirby puts out no offensive pressure while crouching unless you go right up into his face, and clicking shield in anticipation of an attack can be baited from Kirby just like any other time. "ZSS can take all her mobility and run around" is actually a perfect example to emphasize how badly this sort of "crouch camping" works. You can simply keep dashing towards Kirby over and over and eventually make it all the way and either:

1. attack out of a dash with jc usmash, up b or pivot ftilt and:
a) hit him
b) get shielded and punished

2. put up shield in front of him to bait out an option and:
a) punish a move he threw out
b) up b or usmash out of shield if he does nothing
c) get grabbed

3. spotdodge or roll to bait out an option and:
a) evade a grab attempt and punish
b) evade an attack and punish
c) get punished for your option

4. fox trot into midrange to bait out an option and:
a) punish
b) hit him with dtilt, dsmash, jc usmash or side b by surprise
c) throw out side b or dsmash and do shield damage
d) throw out dtilt or jc usmash and get shielded and punished

This simple running around already puts you in a favorable scenario or forces Kirby to do something other than crouch because him being stationary makes him the player who has to guess one out of your several options. In addition you have tomahawks into ground options or dair while also partially covering Kirby's option of jumping out of his crouch, probably other things too that I couldn't come up with off the top of my head.

Also, above ZSS' nair is generally a place where you shouldn't be because you don't want that A button to be C-stick up into itself over and over instead. If Kirby's optimal spacing involves aerially challenging a character with more range and fast juggling aerials from an angle where Kirby can get hit by them, neutral sounds dangerous for him to say the least.

Anyway, I don't think this conversation serves purpose any longer as you've ignored most of the points I've made and stated several hard data related things incorrectly, all of which make this very unconstructive.
You can have more options but if they aren't good ones it doesn't matter and if your response to all of them is essentially the same there is little to no guesswork involved for you. It's simple really, Kirby ducks, he gets a frame advantage. He at least partially alleviates his most glaring weakness (approaching) and accentuates ZSS' (approaching and grabbing). Kirby's only options out of a crouch are well used defensive ones into punishes? That's literally the entire point of my post. Those well used defensive options trump our approaching options. Not sure why you're going into all of our possible movement options. Like I said in an earlier post, an actual game consists of baits, reads, and empty movements and isn't just kirby sitting there with ZSS walking up to him. So... congrats on tearing that straw man a new one!

Also, above ZSS' nair is a fantastic place to be. As I'm sure you know, hitting the cstick up in the middle of a nair doesn't do anything. A good kirby is going to hang out up and to the left or right of you. Out of the range of your uair but in a good place to punish.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
You can have more options but if they aren't good ones it doesn't matter and if your response to all of them is essentially the same there is little to no guesswork involved for you. It's simple really, Kirby ducks, he gets a frame advantage. He at least partially alleviates his most glaring weakness (approaching) and accentuates ZSS' (approaching and grabbing). Kirby's only options out of a crouch are well used defensive ones into punishes? That's literally the entire point of my post. Those well used defensive options trump our approaching options. Not sure why you're going into all of our possible movement options. Like I said in an earlier post, an actual game consists of baits, reads, and empty movements and isn't just kirby sitting there with ZSS walking up to him. So... congrats on tearing that straw man a new one!

Also, above ZSS' nair is a fantastic place to be. As I'm sure you know, hitting the cstick up in the middle of a nair doesn't do anything. A good kirby is going to hang out up and to the left or right of you. Out of the range of your uair but in a good place to punish.

Just post a video and be done with it.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Eh.. that shield info isn't about perfect shielding. It's relevant, but I think the point still holds that ducking generally gives kirby a frame advantage.

Crouching isn't an approach, but I never said it was either.
All the PS information is exactly what I said he gains very little extra advantage when going for PS but serves to lose frame advantage for going for it. Also zss's jump height/speed and uair don't care about Kirbys multiple jumps.

If this conversation continues it should be on the MU board.

Last edited:

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
All the PS information is exactly what I said he gains very little extra advantage when going for PS but serves to lose frame advantage for going for it. Also zss's jump height/speed and uair don't care about Kirbys multiple jumps.

If this conversation continues it should be on the MU board.
Maybe I missed something in the link you posed but what I read was about shielding right after the PS window and not the PS itself? Even then, would kirby still lose the frame advantage? Dsmash would hit at frame 20, and ZSS first active frame is 42. So that means Kirby would have to be locked in shield for 22 frames for ZSS to have the advantage correct? So lets say you hit kirby on frame 4, the earliest you cant in shield lock. That means Kirby gets 3 frames of shields stun, plus the remaining 7 from shield lock, plus 7 frames for shield drop, plust 8 frames hit lag. 25 frames correct? So a 3 frame advantage if kirby chooses to drop shield though. As per the your link though, if Kirby chooses jumpcancel/roll/shield grab, he can act at the same time he normally would and still maintain frame advantage. Did I miss something?

Anyways, apologies to Trifroze. I got a bit snarky there.

Top Bottom