• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

counter-picking help?

wasabicheese

Smash Journeyman
does anyone have any ideas for good zelda and G&W counter-pick stages? i used to be dominant over my friends, but they've all started using G&W and Zelda since i use falco. one of them almost beat me the other day (i used to beat him by a stock) and im afraid of losing to them, as i know i'm more skilled. tips?

zamz

Smash Journeyman
I really suggest sticking with Falco. If you want to improve your main, learn how to combat your weakness. It's not impossible for Falco to beat GameWatch or Zelda, just difficult. If your friends are getting better and they're finally competing with you...why not use this for your own advantage? Use them as a warm up. Maybe you'll start learning from them, as opposed to the other way around.

If it's amongst friends, I don't see why you have to win all the time =) . A couple losses will make you a better player.

BEES

Smash Lord
Final Destination
Jungle Japes
Smashville

Those are the strongest stages, I think.

Comedy option: Falco always wins on Mario Bros. Try it, it's true.

wasabicheese

Smash Journeyman
well i find that i get wrecked by zelda on FD and Smashville (i chekked the zelda boards and they said the same thing against falco) so any other tips? especially 4 G&W, but is JJ my only option O_o

BEES

Smash Lord
Those are strong Falco stages against random characters. But now that I think about it, they could be the worst against these kinds of characters. All of Falco's counters have good vertical recoveries and are prone to dying off the top.

Corneria and Green Greens might be good for that... but they're not always legal.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, sorry about that. I read "counter-pick" and automatically assumed you meant character. Disregard my post =)

wasabicheese

Smash Journeyman
ok, i find the JJ works great against the zelda (high ceiling=no up-smash kills 4 her), but im not so sure for G&W. any more input?

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Jungle Japes (falco runs circles around every single character on this map, it's perfectly designed for him)

Battlefield, but stay off of the lower two platforms. That's the DANGER ZONE

Pokemon Stadium (1, not 2. 2 is murderous for zelda OR G&W against falco). It's a surprise, but falco does surprisingly well here.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
Yea, JJ is Falco's best stage.

In FLorida, a Falco 3 stocked a Pro Snake so bad on JJ they banned the stage. xD Those Scrubs. :laugh:

wasabicheese

Smash Journeyman
now as far as tactics go, what should i do primarily in Jungle Japes? should i try to laser camp, or phantasm spam, or should i just play normally (i beat both of them bad today in JJ btw, but i played normally)

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
JJ screams Dair and laser Spam

If you are in the center, you pretty much an advantage by lasering either side and have them pined down.

if they are in the center, chaingrab or combo them towards the edge and dair spike them into the water, hopefully get carried away by the water or the crocodile (i forget what they are called) spikes them.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Jungle Japes has a lot of things going for it. First off, no character is more mobile there than Falco is. He can be camping from one position, and a second later is way away camping again. Learn all the phantasm stuff, just don't spam it. It all has a time and a place.

The stage is amazing for laser camping, this is something you just have to develop on your own.

The high ceiling is really good because Falco is deceptively light. The bottom is also really low, which is good for Falco because your vertical recovery is terrible anyways, and it super gimps most peoples recoveries.

The center platform gets owned by chain grabs, and can zero-death a lot of characters foolish enough to let you get it on them.

For some reason, I really like Castle Siege. I don't know how to explain it, but it's just a good Falco stage.

Top Bottom