• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter duration

Maik93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maik_93
So I've been playing in online the past few days and I've noticed something weird.

When I was using Counter and my opponents tried to punish me for it, most of them hit me to early while I still had counter-frames (though I myself also believed my counter already ended). This didn't just happen once or twice but several times.

Does Ike's Counter last longer than for example Marth's or Lucina's?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Ike's counter starts a few frames later than Marth and Lucina's, and lasts the same amount of time, so it ends a little later.

Maik93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maik_93
Ike's counter starts a few frames later than Marth and Lucina's, and lasts the same amount of time, so it ends a little later.
There were quite some theories about that... some mentioning that the counters of all fire emblem characters were now exactly the same...

I still like how it throws of some peoples timing

Arrei

Smash Lord
Well, their damage multipliers are the same now, but to my knowledge the timing's definitely not the same. Marth and Lucina will throw out their counters almost immediately, I remember dropping a shield to go for a counter with Lucina, but I thought I'd dropped the shield too late and hit the counter right as the incoming attack hit me - instead I successfully triggered it for the kill. Meanwhile, I've been knocked out of the startup of Ike's counter a few times, each time seeing Ike begin to raise his sword for a brief moment but not making it to the active frames.

Is there solid frame data for the counters somewhere, though? It does feel like people hit Ike's counter before it expires thinking it's safe an awful lot. The one that sticks out in recent memory is my going for a last ditch Hail Mary counter against a Dedede charging his hammer, and him responding by turning around, turning back around, and releasing the hammer... and getting OHKOed.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
From what I know Ike´s counter comes out frame 5.
But dunno how long it lasts.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
There is frame data floating around somewhere. I believe it might be in the Ike Moveset Data thread or the general advice thread. I don't recall the specifics, but what was discovered is that the whole animation is the same amount of time. Ike's active frames start later than the others, are active as long, but have less ending lag (since the full animation is the same time). It's why Counter is harder to use reflexively with Ike but it is easier to get away from your opponent on a whiff. (Not enough for you to spam it! But you'll notice that you'll sometimes get out of being punished for it as Ike when others would have been hit.)

Ikespike

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warui95
I looked into the moveset data and it seems like Ike's counter starts at frame 9. Compared to Marth and Lucina, it starts 4 frames later. But besides that, there is no difference.

Top Bottom