• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could I get some critique please?

Mecha1

Smash Rookie
So I haven't played Melee outside of the occasional game with friends for several years, but APEX coupled with the fact that I now live in a city with an active and pretty big smash community has re-ignited my passion for the game and I am really wanting to get better. I have never used Peach before (used to main Sheik with Marth as secondary) but I decided to give her a shot about a week ago and am having a blast playing her so far! Also I swear the fact that I am an Armada fan had nothing to do with the decision... :rolleyes:

Anyways, I only have one video of myself so far that was recorded at a local tourny last week: /watch?v=8oU74yxqCuU (won't let me link because I have less than 10 posts...)

Some things I have already noticed from watching this myself:

1. I role WAY to much. The main reason for this is that, at the time this was recorded, I hadn't had a lot of time to practice tech skill with Peach yet and so a lot of times when I tried to WD I would end up floating instead (this is something I have gotten much better at since). However I do still roll OOS a lot because I am terrible at doing WD OOS. This is primarily because I both shield and WD with R. I am trying to train myself to shield with L instead but damn if old habits aren't hard to break... :(

2. I still need quite a bit of work on general tech skill. Things in this video that I fairly consistently botched were: Dash attacks (not used to how slow it comes out... so many accidental ftilts), FC nairs (accidentally do dair or fair/bair quite a bit), accidentally wasting my double jump when trying to float, etc. I feel like a lot of these mistakes come down to me not being used to the timing of Peach's moves (is it just me or are a lot of her moves slower to come out than other characters' moves?), and I have been practicing my tech skill a lot since this was recorded, but I would love any advice on ways I could go about improving this aspect of my game!

3. I have no idea how to play most Peach matchups. I had no idea how to approach Sheik or any of the ways to combo her. I have been watching a lot of videos of Armada and reading posts on here so I understand a little bit better on at least the basics for most common matchups, but any advice you all have would be very helpful!

4. Needs more turnips...?

5. I suck at edge guarding

So yeah... those are the things I have noticed, though not quite sure how to fix some of them (see points 3-5 lol). Any and all advice is very much appreciated!

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
I would say to watch MacD in tourney's and his very well done Peach tutorial. Armada is not a good person to watch and learn from as he is a very agressive player and can make you learn bad habits.

You understand what you're doing wrong and what you need to practice so there isnt really much I can say other than get more skill and practice. Peach is a character that requires a lot of practice and learning

Mecha1

Smash Rookie
Hey! Sorry for taking to long to respond. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely start watching more MacD videos.

I must admit I am a bit confused when you say watching Armada can make you learn bad habits, considering he is the only Peach player that I know of who has ever actually won a major tournament with Peach. Are you saying it is bad to watch him because unless someone is as skilled as him a lot of his techniques and habits wouldn't work?

I also now have two more recordings of myself from a tournament this past Friday, both against Falco players. I have learned I am terrible at dealing with lasers.....

/watch?v=JQ_Q3D5lDio

/watch?v=EmOPMHbeTzA

(I really need to get to 10 posts so I can post actual links...)

Some questions I have are:

1. How to deal with lasers. I tried floating above SHL height, which kind of worked I guess, but I am not sure of what to do after that. I tried floating in and doing an aerial a few times but always seemed to get caught by a laser.

2. How to DI out of his combos. Specifically I got caught up multiple times in Dair > shine > dair > shine/utilt > dair.

Those are my two main questions I came away with those matches from, however if you spot anything else that I need to improve on please let me know!

P.S.I know I still roll far too much. I have been practicing WD OOS and have gotten at least okay at it. My big issue now is that I can only do it when I am shielding with L but in matches I always find myself shielding with R, so really I guess I need to break that habit. Any advice on how to go about doing that?

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Hey! Sorry for taking to long to respond. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely start watching more MacD videos.

I must admit I am a bit confused when you say watching Armada can make you learn bad habits, considering he is the only Peach player that I know of who has ever actually won a major tournament with Peach. Are you saying it is bad to watch him because unless someone is as skilled as him a lot of his techniques and habits wouldn't work?

I also now have two more recordings of myself from a tournament this past Friday, both against Falco players. I have learned I am terrible at dealing with lasers.....

/watch?v=JQ_Q3D5lDio

/watch?v=EmOPMHbeTzA

(I really need to get to 10 posts so I can post actual links...)

Some questions I have are:

1. How to deal with lasers. I tried floating above SHL height, which kind of worked I guess, but I am not sure of what to do after that. I tried floating in and doing an aerial a few times but always seemed to get caught by a laser.

2. How to DI out of his combos. Specifically I got caught up multiple times in Dair > shine > dair > shine/utilt > dair.

Those are my two main questions I came away with those matches from, however if you spot anything else that I need to improve on please let me know!

P.S.I know I still roll far too much. I have been practicing WD OOS and have gotten at least okay at it. My big issue now is that I can only do it when I am shielding with L but in matches I always find myself shielding with R, so really I guess I need to break that habit. Any advice on how to go about doing that?
1) Lasers are dumb until you know what to do with them. Basically you wanna try and get to a platform and get a turnip, or try and hit Falco with a dair immediatly after the laser or immediatly before the laser. Or basically any arieal if you time it correct. It's annoying and tricky timing

2) Accept your fate. You can try and mixup your DI but if the Falco reads/reacts to your DI you're boned.

I wavedash OOS with R, as well as sheild with R. I've heard M2K does the same thing. All you need to do is shield -> jump -> release R then press R again real quick. You don't need to do it with R and L or whatever. People who use L are plebs lel

ctrlaltdefeat

Smash Rookie
A nice trick to wavedashing out of shield is not to shield fully before you try to wd out. If you are holding the shield slightly, you do not have to release the r button when you go to wd and can just click it in fully instead.

ctrlaltdefeat

Smash Rookie
oh also.. edge guarding against shiek in particular is more of a manner of grabbing ledge and punishing the up b's recovery time. when you are below 100% (to avoid slow get up), run to the ledge and float +fastfall to grab ledge. use a normal get up and then downtilt or downsmash the up b when she lands (you have plenty of time)

Last edited:

SquillyP

Smash Rookie
The problem with letting go off full shield to make it easier to WD OoS is that you're lightshielding for that split second. Trying to do this under pressure runs the risk of getting your light shield hit ,which means more shieldstun. This will make you unable to act quickly OoS as well as mess up your timings for things like FC nair OoS and WD OoS.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
My goodness, watch armada. His videos are the Bible for peach mains.

I would get some of your tech down. Just get faster and more confident. Movement is important with every character including peach. Try to put pressure on your opponent as much as possible. Those were big things I noticed. Just play more honestly. Your peach seems very new, not in a bad way or anything. You're new, it's okay to lose. : )

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
The problem with letting go off full shield to make it easier to WD OoS is that you're lightshielding for that split second. Trying to do this under pressure runs the risk of getting your light shield hit ,which means more shieldstun. This will make you unable to act quickly OoS as well as mess up your timings for things like FC nair OoS and WD OoS.
Actually you can full shield without hard pressing the trigger. Hard pressing is the air dodge, so you can effectively wavedash with one trigger and one press

Top Bottom