• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could a Smash Game be made for the GBA?

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

...looking at this game makes believe that it cold be possible to have an SSB title made for the Game Boy Advance.

They have a good amount of buttons.

A = Jump
B = Basic Attack
R = Special Attack
L + Defensive Sheild

8 to 10 Fighters could fit. what do you think?

Khao

Smash Lord
That honestly looks like a mess.

The camera zooming out is a very important feature of Smash Bros, you not only need to know where your opponent is at any moment, but what they're doing, otherwise how can't you properly react to them? Not to mention that half the time you can't even see what you're jumping into on that stage, which is made even worse by the extremely awkward pseudo-isometric perspective they choose (which I guess wouldn't be a problem in Smash if they don't do the same, but it still doesn't help the point.)

Now, they could actually make the screen zoom in and out, the GBA is perfectly capable of that, but with the super low resolution of the screen, the graphics would get deformed in such ways that it'd get almost unbearable to see, which would make the gameplay more confusing than it should be.

Also, controls are the biggest issue.

If anyone wants to mention the Wiimote as proof that D-Pads work for Smash Bros, I'll immediately just point towards the Wiimote as proof that D-Pads will never work for Smash Bros. The distinction between tilting tapping the stick is very important to Smash's basic gameplay in a way that double-pressing a direction will just never do the work properly.

Hey, how's this? Grab a Wiimote, and try to do an uptilt without having to do any actions frist. Aaaaaaaaand you can't, you have to either Smash, or jump. Or how about an ftilt? Can you do one straight from a standing position without having to move forward a little bit? Nay. It just doesn't work well without an analog stick.

So would it be technically possible? Definitely, and I say they wouldn't even need to do such a low number of characters, they could perfectly have a good number, after all, the GBA has this thing:

The problem is that I think it simply wouldn't have played too well, even if it's technically possible for the system.

pickle962

Smash Lord
And that would be what we would have called a butchered port had Smash gotten a handheld entry on the GBA or even the original DS!

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Given this has nothing to do with Smash 4 this thread shall be moved to the Nintenzone forum.

Urz

Smash Cadet
Medabots AX is another apt example of an arena fighter on the GBA. While it's an alright game and has some unique mechanics, you feel the limitations in not having access to analogue input, particularly as far as move set diversity is concerned.

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Considering there was a fan-made Smash (Super Smash Land, I think) game on the original Gameboy, I'd say yes. But given how it controls, you probably wouldn't have liked it as a kid. But it has Vaporeon and some cool levels.

Booster

Smash Lord
Why bring this up now LONG after Gameboy Advance is no longer important? You're beating a dead horse

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Potentially it could. But if we're being honest, it probably would be fairly hindered. Namely the stages, would likely be more static or less intricate. Of course the roster size would probably fall somewhere between Smash 64's size and Melee's size. But it would really, really be awesome to see some 2-D sprites for Smash, official ones anyway.

A Smash game might have worked on the DS. If it had been on in a similar style to games like Jump Ultimate Stars, using 2-D graphics rather than 3-D models.

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
It is possible to make a Smash game for the GBA, but the GBA is so outdated that there would be no point to doing it. I think Smash games are best on home consoles rather than portable systems. It is better to have several players play on one console than having each person own a portable console and a copy of the game to play multiplayer

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It's possible. I mean, if Super Smash Flash is of any indication. The thing is, this is more of a "what could have been" scenario, and in today's generation of gaming, it's pretty irrelevant to even think about, unless Nintendo decides to do a retro-looking Smash Bros. for - say - the 3DS/Wii U eShop-exclusive title.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The main problem is that there simply aren't enough buttons to allow for very deep gameplay. Super Smash Land, the de-make that gives SSB a Game Boy aesthetic and mechanics, was fun as a novelty for a little while, but it had next to no staying power, and I imagine SSB Advance wouldn't do much better.

Last edited:
NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Hey, how's this? Grab a Wiimote, and try to do an uptilt without having to do any actions frist. Aaaaaaaaand you can't, you have to either Smash, or jump. Or how about an ftilt? Can you do one straight from a standing position without having to move forward a little bit? Nay. It just doesn't work well without an analog stick.
You can. You just have to believe.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Yes, they could have. And due to portable gaming standards being so low in the GBA era, it probably would've been a good game for GBA era standards.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I would have these controls (based off of the Wii Remote's controls, with the shoulder buttons based on the 3DS'):
A: Standard attack
B: Special attack
A+B: Side smash in the direction you are facing
Left+A+B: Side smash to the left
Right+A+B: Side smash to the right
Up+A+B: Up smash
Down+A+B: Down smash
If both a direction and A are inputted at the same time (like a smash attack with a control stick), you do a strong attack rather than whatever action you would normally do (such as walking or crouching). If you press A afterwards, you will do it while or after doing something else (up for jump, left/right for walking, down for crouching). In the air, if attempting to do a strong attack, you will get an air attack. There are two side air attacks: one for the direction you are facing, and one for the other way.
Left: Move left
Left twice: Dash left
Right: Move right
Right twice: Dash right
Down: Crouch
Up: Jump
L, R+A, or R then A: Grab
R: Shield
START: Pause
SELECT: Nothing
L+R+A+B when paused: End the match early
A+B+START+SELECT: Soft reset