• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin Up-Smash?

Xeyes

Smash Rookie
I see a lot of people say Corrin's up smash is bad, like their worst smash? Honestly for me i have to say its pretty good. For me, at (roughly) 20- 40% I've used it to get to get one to two U-Airs and it kills at ~95% without rage. I mean i may be wrong but it seems pretty good. Not their best Smash (In my opinion their best one is F-Smash) but pretty damn good. Please, if you have any facts against this please tell me cause it seems pretty good for me.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
You can use it the way Sheik players use the platforms on Battlefield/Dream Land to catch missed techs. It has about the same killing power, too. Maybe a tad weaker, and two frames slower, but not quite as bad at the grounded sour spots. It has those ridiculous Fire Emblem grounded hitboxes.

F-smash is definitely his best smash attack because of how safe and powerful it is when spaced properly. Down smash is good for when the opponent is too close for sweet spotted f-smash to hit, since there's no point in staling f-smash AND it's 4 frames slower, with more endlag. The back side of the attack has a sweet spot as well, and it sends at a pretty good horizontal angle.

Last edited:

Xeyes

Smash Rookie
You can use it the way Sheik players use the platforms on Battlefield/Dream Land to catch missed techs. It has about the same killing power, too. Maybe a tad weaker, and two frames slower, but not quite as bad at the grounded sour spots. It has those ridiculous Fire Emblem grounded hitboxes.

F-smash is definitely his best smash attack because of how safe and powerful it is when spaced properly. Down smash it good for when the opponent is too close for sweet spotted f-smash to hit. The back side of the attack has a sweet spot as well, and it sends at a pretty good horizontal angle.
Thanks man! I didn't know about the Missed Tech option!

D

Deleted member 189823

I see a lot of people say Corrin's up smash is bad, like their worst smash? Honestly for me i have to say its pretty good. For me, at (roughly) 20- 40% I've used it to get to get one to two U-Airs and it kills at ~95% without rage. I mean i may be wrong but it seems pretty good. Not their best Smash (In my opinion their best one is F-Smash) but pretty damn good. Please, if you have any facts against this please tell me cause it seems pretty good for me.
Well, it is pretty much the worst smash out of the three. That, easily, makes it "the worse". That doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's worse than the other two that have a lot more practical use. In itself, I think the move is...about mediocre. Can't be that bad if it kills that early, but it's definitely the least practical of them. For starters, it's hitbox is really shallow and only really serves it's purpose as a juggling move. But even then, it's severely outclass by the likes of U-Tilt and D-Tilt who perform such task quicker and far more reliably. It's best use is probably to combo it off of D-Tilt for extra damage and that's most that it will be doing, unless someone happens to throw out a lot of fast-fall moves like our D-Air (and ZSS/Sheik/Sonic's) which we can beat and get a kill off.

F-smash is definitely his best smash attack because of how safe and powerful it is when spaced properly. Down smash is good for when the opponent is too close for sweet spotted f-smash to hit, since there's no point in staling f-smash AND it's 4 frames slower, with more endlag. The back side of the attack has a sweet spot as well, and it sends at a pretty good horizontal angle.
I wouldn't say it's as obvious is that. I mean, yeah, at first sight, it does feel kind of obvious. But as it goes, the attack is harder to land than it seems. I doubt a smart player will just wait for you at the ledge for you to land it on him. I think the best scenario to land a kill with it would have to be out of baiting an airdodge and Pivoting F-Smash. Killing people off the ledge with that thing is pretty amazing...when it lands. D-Smash is actually really useful for most of the match, as it can catch rolls and even cover landings similiarly (on both sides). It's TIPPER kills as well, even. It's insane. I find myself using this move a lot.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say it's as obvious is that. I mean, yeah, at first sight, it does feel kind of obvious. But as it goes, the attack is harder to land than it seems. I doubt a smart player will just wait for you at the ledge for you to land it on him. I think the best scenario to land a kill with it would have to be out of baiting an airdodge and Pivoting F-Smash. Killing people off the ledge with that thing is pretty amazing...when it lands. D-Smash is actually really useful for most of the match, as it can catch rolls and even cover landings similiarly (on both sides). It's TIPPER kills as well, even. It's insane. I find myself using this move a lot.
It's fairly situational yeah. Mostly I'll use it to catch people's landing or ledge re-grabs. I find that a quick DL does the job about the same, much faster, and with better utility.

Last edited:

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
Maybe I'm using it incorrectly/not enough, but I don't find much use for up smash. It's range is vertical only, and I find up air to almost always be a better option when someone is coming down from the air. IDK, though, still a lot of practice to do with this character.

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
In my opinion, Corrin's Up-S is bad, but not too bad asmany people may say. Its actually just better to react quickly and replace an Up-S with an Up-Air since the knock back is ridiculous, but really good.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
You use F-smash for covering rolls/landing while D-smash is used when the opponent rolls behind you or is close to you. Up-smash is really good for catching opponents in the air when you can get under them. It's the least used Up-smash out of the three because it's the most situational, but I don't get why you or "people" think it's bad. There are some really *** Up-smashes out there, at worst (<----Big emphasis on this part) it's average.

Last edited:

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
As others have said, the clearest use I see for it is sharking people from under platforms. Similar to Sheik's Usmash, you can punish a missed tech, shield release, free fall landing, etc., for tipper damage. Its narrow hitbox makes it pretty poor for juggling or as a hyphen smash, but it has its uses.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
U smash is the alrightiest of his smashes.
That being said, it is pretty powerful, good anti air, and looks dope as ****.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Tipped usmash can beat several disjointed downairs in the game, against opponents that use these frequently it's worth knowing in the matchup as it can often be an easy read and an easy kill if you have your timing.

That's pretty much the only guaranteed usage I've found with it so far. There's just no sense in using it over much more reliable options most of the time. Opponents won't just fall into it and there don't (so far) seem to be setups for it other than missed platform techs and getup rolls, even in those situations I'd often suggest that going for the extremely reliable fair>uair combo is a better option than the potential to whiff.

Reliability is important which is what relegates it to niche situational usage.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Up smash has it's uses, but they are slim. Mostly it's just catching people on platforms, or you can (sometimes) go for an Usmash after D-tilt at mid percents. The biggest advantage to Usmash is that TIPPERED it is our strongest kill move, killing at ~75% - ~100% based on weight (not counting rage). The closest after that is Full Charge Bite at ~80% - ~115%.

To follow off of this, Tipper Dsmash and Fsmash both kill at almost the same exact percents, so it gives us some spacing mixups we can do. As well, the Front hitbox of Dsmash kills much sooner than the sourspot Fsmash, so if someone misses a tech or whiffs a laggy move, and you lack the time to properly space an Fsmash, than forward Dsmash might do the job quicker since no spacing is required

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

To follow off of this, Tipper Dsmash and Fsmash both kill at almost the same exact percents, so it gives us some spacing mixups we can do. As well, the Front hitbox of Dsmash kills much sooner than the sourspot Fsmash, so if someone misses a tech or whiffs a laggy move, and you lack the time to properly space an Fsmash, than forward Dsmash might do the job quicker since no spacing is required
It's almost as if there's always option, right? lol, it's awesome. Wish I could recognize the situations perfectly more often, though.
I've been using U-Smash a lot more, yesterday. I did it either to catch a Roll and slightly charge it (it worked more often than not, surprisingly), an anti air (in Corrin dittos, when the other just D-Aired to the ground) and one or two times on the platform.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I use it mostly as bait, for people who are falling above me who love countering. Just keep right on charging and it becomes ferocious.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I used to punish landings with it but now I charge fsmash to catch them. If anything I use it to platform tech chase or an early percent string. Not that it's an unusable move but it's usually not optimal.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Its a nice feeling to sweetspot it, but tough as hell to use.

Like someone said... i used it sometimes after a dtilt...or when someone is coming with an obvious downtilt against me...or to surprise careless peeps when coming off the stage and trying to float past me.

Still, IMO its hitbox is too small. It would be cool if it is given the marth Usmash treatment and be able to "suck in" people more esily into it when hitted by other parts of corrins body

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Beside Up-Smash, is it me or counter kills at 30%-40ish? Even with a jab
It is impossible for it to kill against a jab at that percent.

If you're talking about a ridiculous smash attack or charged smash, then yes, it does. Only an idiot would do that though. This is a topic about usmash though, if you want to talk about counter then do so in the topics about counter where they've already been derailed into flaming and idiocy. This one hasn't been destroyed yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom