• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin and Bayonetta Matchup

DMan64

Smash Cadet
So in recent times we've seen players such as MK Leo, Cosmos, and Ryuga, all able to take out high level Bayonetta players utilizing Corrin, most notably Leo at CEO and recently at 2GGC SCR Saga, this in turn leads me to believe that Corrin may actually have a 50/50 matchup against the dreaded witch.

As such, I feel it is important to share details of this matchup from what I've seen and experienced myself, and hopefully help out those seeking a way to beat the character or improve.

This isn't going to go into all the technical things about the matchup, just the important fundamental stuff. With that said please list anything I may not go over and discuss more below, since I'd like to hear more and hopefully provide those having trouble in this matchup more of an idea of what to do.

For starters we have to Analyze Strengths and Weakness against each other.

Corrin
•Great Neutral, with many ways to counteract Bayonetta's options
•Great combo/string game on Bayo due to reach, knock back angles, and frame data.
•Can poke at ledge safely and can prevent the character from doing ledge shenanigans.
•One effective read can result in Bayo losing a stock early given she is rather light.
•Bayonetta doesn't have many options when her opponents are directly below her, and Corrin is great at juggling her as a result.

Bayonetta
•Due to Corrin's frame and nature as a sword character, Bayonetta can combo her effectively and at times get KO combos on her.
•Witch Time is quite obvious.
•Corrin's recovery is okay at best, and Bayonetta is very good at edge guarding her.

Now while I listed more with Corrin, Bayonetta's strengths easily equal that simply by virtue of her nature. There's a lot more I can mention, but that's some of the fundamental ideas to know.

So, what does it boil down to? Well Corrin's objective is to patiently pressure Bayonetta at a safe spacing range to find one hit and follow up with a string of attacks and respond appropriately to an air dodge, since her aerials don't have the start up to escape anything not garunteed, whereas Bat Within comes out frame 1, and continue to damage that way, or possibly net an early KO. And since Bayo's attacks generally aren't safe on shield, this isn't as hard as one would think. Of course, Bayo's going to pressure the opponent to do an unsafe option, but that is exactly what she wants. If Corrin by chance gets caught in the middle of a combo, her objective changes to escaping it with a combination of DI and SDI and firing back to turn that damage into her own, whereas Bayonetta's is to read Corrin's DI/SDI and follow up based on that. When Bayonetta tries to land, Corrin should stay right below her and patiently follow her options, if she DABKs away, follow, but if falls quicker shield to block any possible attacks, and respond appropriately to her selection of witch time or bullet arts, in the case she tries to cancel out her landing lag and potentially start a deadly combo. Also, remember to mix up between grabs and attacks, even though both characters don't get too much off their throws.

When talking about off stage/edge guarding it's vastly different. Bayonetta should be using her edge-guarding abilities to snuff out Corrin's recovery, Witch Time being highly effective at this point, whereas Corrin mush mix up her recovery, whether that be by throwing at an attack, utilizing counter, or by mixing it up between high and low recoveries.

On the opposite end, Corrin's primary object is to simply cover the ledge from a safe distance to prevent any ledge shenanigans from occurring, since Corrin's off stage edge-guarding isn't that good, and directly challenging Bayo's recovery is very risky. Also, if after a combo that utilizes both jumps and witch twists Bayo goes to the ledge to cancel her lag, simply throwing out a powerful attack like FSmash, since she either has to take the hit, or witch time which is suicide.

At the end of the day, I personally believe that this matchup is a 50/50, or at the very least slightly in Bayo's favor. From everything I've seen, with Leo picking up Corrin and using her effectively against top Bayonetta's, and Cosmos and Ryuga both having taken sets off the likes of CaptainZack and Salem, to me it only makes sense, and I think that Corrin may very well likely be an effective character to counter act this character at top level play, it's just a matter of know the matchup and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of these characters in depth.

Nah

Smash Champion
Some elaboration on some things would be nice. I find the statement that Corrin has "a great neutral" rather questionable. You also say that Corrin's objective in neutral is is to "patiently pressure Bayonetta", but how exactly does Corrin do this? What does Corrin do if Bayo decides to play very defensively?

Bayonetta also has more shield safety than you're giving her credit for. (Well-spaced) Dtilt, Nair, and Bair are all pretty much safe on shield. It's not all her moves, but that's all she needs really.

Can you provide links to the sets you mentioned as well? That would be good to have too.

DMan64

Smash Cadet
What I mean about a great neutral is that compared to Bayonetta's it's better, and from what I've seen it's not that bad keeping Bayo out, but generally speaking Corrin gets more initial hits out of neutral from what I've seen, though Bayo collectively hits more due to her combo heavy nature.

In terms of patient pressure, here's what I mean.

Bayonetta works off of pressure, just like a lot of characters, but Bayonetta naturally exudes pressure given her insane punish ability. That said, her neutral is still sub par at best, and her neutral revolves around you making a mistake, whether because you feel obligated to act, or she makes you. Corrin's neutral, as simple as it is, works well in the sense that her attacks are fast, have good range, and in some cases are multipurpose, such as Side B and Neutral B. She not only can keep characters out, but she can also rack a lot of damage off of one hit.

It's when the Bayo player starts to play defensive where many can struggle, but there's still a lot to do. Let's look at ledge shenanigans for example, during SCR Saga Nairo struggled against CaptainZack when he started utilizing the edge, and Zack got a lot off that, but when he faced off with Leo that wasn't quite the case since Corrin in that scenario can handle it better than ZSS can. True, Bayo can still find a way to get a hit a Corrin, but if you space well and are patient, it's really not that bad.

What it all comes down to is analyzing the opponents actions and approaching defensively, which Corrin is fully capable of. In that sense, to put patient pressure on Bayonetta is to essentially about staying just out of her safe range, and approaching in a defensive manner to find one opening and take advantage of it. Just like you said Bayo's attacks when well spaced are safe, but that goes for Corrin as well in some regards.

Matches

MK Leo Vs CaptainZack SCR Saga
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fD55-r-0qpk
Cosmos Vs CaptainZack Hackoru Sub Tournament
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4X_-7xSpIbc
MK Leo Vs Salem CEO 2017 and Smash Con 2017
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHp2Ef7SyE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D7MFFSL0eng
Cosmos Vs JK Smash Con 2017
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OCFDkMZjerQ

I also recommend this video Fatality did on Bayo, and you check out the DI and SDI of her combos.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9cQJwFC9aAA

When I have a bit more time on my hands I'll elaborate more on my opinion, right now things in life are a bit busy, but when I get the chance I will elaborate in more detail.

The intention I had was to present an idea that maybe, at top play, Corrin might actually be a solid answer to Bayonetta alongside other characters, of course with Bayo, there are pretty much no matchups she outright loses, but just given what I've seen, I think Corrin may have the potential to go toe to toe with her alongside other characters. Mind you, only time with tell in the long run, but just what I've seen recently has really got me thinking about this more and more, and I will do as much research into this as time will allow.

Top Bottom