• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin 3.0 viability?

llams

Smash Rookie
So Corrin got a lot of changes in 3.0. How does he/she compare now relative to the rest of the cast?

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It'll take time to really find out.

I played her a bit in training before going to bed and I'm worried that the core of her problems weren't necessarily addressed. But I'll play a lot more this weekend.

Nah

Smash Champion
They help, but it's not enough to cause a truly significant change in viability

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
They help, but it's not enough to cause a truly significant change in viability
Yeah, a faster Dragon Lunge and better catching for up-special and side-smash are nice, but don't solve Corrin's main problems. He's still got a lack of kill setups, bad throws, and nonexistent shield pressure. After all the mojo he lost in the transition to Ultimate, it's going to take some much longer patch notes to increase his viability.

As far as I'm aware, I don't think this patch brought significant changes to anyone but Wii Fit Trainer and probably Sheik & King.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
The buffs are nice but they don't seem to fix her major issues, so she's still not going to be great.

As far as I'm aware, I don't think this patch brought significant changes to anyone but Wii Fit Trainer and probably Sheik & King.
Possibly Mewtwo and Mega Man as well.

Struck_in_Two

Smash Rookie
Things I would personally change about Corrin:

• increase the horizontal distance of Dragon Ascent (up-B) & fix the part where she loses almost all her air momentum once the move ends
  • increase her standing & running Grab range very slightly (it's ridiculously small right now)
  • change the knockback angle of Up-Air to 85 degrees (basically like Lucina's up-Air)
  • fix Dragon Fang so that the shot links into bite properly regardless of charge levels
  • increase the KBG of Up-Air by +10%
  • Reduce Nair landing lag by 2 frames
  • Reduce Bair landing lag by 2 frames
  • Reduce D-Tilt cooldown by 3 frames
  • change the damage dealt by D-Throw to 11%
  • increase her running speed from 1.595 to 2.167
  • increase her air speed from 1.019 to 1.134
  • decrease successful Counter Surge's activation cooldown by 3 frames
  • give Male Corrin a better voice actor

Reference: http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Attributes

That's about it really. She's still a really good character, she's just missing some things to make her excellent in this meta.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I really like the changes proposed just above! Seems like lots of nice quality of life changes. My question would be whether after all those changes people would consider Corrin a character worth picking over other FE characters while inversely not making any of them seem like a lesser version of Corrin. Basically, Corrin having a unique role/playstyle that none of the other characters can match which I'd say Corrin pretty much already has but they just need to be a tad better to show this.

Whenever I play with Corrin I get a sense the character wants to play a primarily grounded patient mid-range game with precise execution mostly in the form of her pin moves when they aren't in the air evading with their sword. I believe there should perhaps be further buffs to better propel that style. In comparison, Marth is a more aggressive mobile take on Corrin's playstyle.
One way of buffing Corrin's style would be getting more reward from landing tipper hitboxes on all their pin moves. Now the obvious way of doing this would be adding more knockback to these moves which perhaps some could use but the main thing I'd like to propose is adding much more shield damage. The main thing that was nerfed from Corrin's Side-B was the range and its overall a more committal move now which is fine for how powerful it is but I still think it should be even more powerful on the ground and the increase to shield damage could be the adjustment thats needed.
This overall shield damage buff to tipper pins could sometimes allow for shield-breaks which I think is always a fun possibility for a character to pull off and may force the opponent to respect Corrin's powerful mid-range which could lead to further mind games and openings for Corrin.

Top Bottom