• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cop - Out Characters?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
you guys should know what I'm talking about. Sakurai promised us this golden beacon of smash. He promised us "no more clones." He even held polls so that the characters that we wanted would get in... it was the people's smash.

Well, wit recent leaks, we see that brawl isn't quite so special. It's going to be great, sure. I mean, melee was great... but it's not going to be anything more than the next installment of smash... it's got some new bells and whistles and prettier graphics... but it's lost its wonder now.

I am, of course speaking of these leaks:

R.O.B. = PC
Falco = Fox Clone
Wolf = Also fox clone
G.Dorf = C.Falcon clone
Toon Link = Link Clone
Lucas = Ness clone
Lucario = replacement of mewtwo... who was an original-moveset character

I can't help but to see sakurai as a bad little child with a mischeivious grin hovering over a button that says: "Do Not Press: Cop-out characters"

Especially that wolf announcement. Everyone and there mother thought that Krystal was going to make it in.... I mean, it just made good sense.... why would you pass up on one of the most suggested characters on the poll? One of the surest of the shoe-ins... I mean, the cast was sorely lacking in females, and after passing up the internationally favoured Lyn for the Japan favoured Ike, we thought that Krystal's odds got even better because she was the only concievable female addition. What's more, her moveset practically wrote itself and she was the only SF character unlikely to be a clone. For ages the wolf and falco fanboys argued that wolf would be no clone... but look! as is proven... he could be nothing more... he seems like a cop-out. An easy slot to fill. Sure krystal would have been more challenging than cloning fox twice and calling it a day... I mean, who desn't want melees most overused character to have two clones? It's like we hadn't seen him used enough.... what's more... if the landmaster FS turns out to be true, then wolf is driving a vehicle he would never have access to, just because it was easier to make it this way.

My dissapointment is extreme. I feel betrayed, but sakurai panders to the japanese audience and ignores brawl's absolutely enourmous constiuency on the american shores. H emust be either stupid or lazy... maybe both, but I must say, that if he doesn't have a good reason, i.e. he literally lost his mind and had to be institutionalized, then he's just a bum to me.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I 100% agree it seems the polls were a waste of time, i mean people wanted megaman and stuff and NO MORE CLONES!
He let us down with the character movesets big time.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I 100% agree it seems the polls were a waste of time, i mean people wanted megaman and stuff and NO MORE CLONES!
He let us down with the character movesets big time.
well.. he could hardley do anything about megaman... that would have to be capcom's to give...

... maybe that's just it. He expected more 3rd parties to give him characters, and when only snake and sonic made it, he just filled in the other slots with just that.... filler

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Yeah thats true, dont get me wrong tho i was against megaman to be honest, but there was so many characters on the polls and even without 3rd parties the game would be awsome but it looks like he screwed us over again and just added fillers.

Personally i dislike him alot as we in Europe have to wait for ages for our copy of brawl.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
can't you guys just import american wiis and american games? well... I guess that would suck with all the shipping.. sorry.

but yes... that's EXACTLY what the latest additions feel like: filler. And it's just what we didn't like in melee... and it's JUST what sakurai PROMISED to change... looks like you can teach an old dog new triks, but, when you get right down to it, he's still just an old dog.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Thats true, and importing american wii's and stuff i really dont wanna go thru all the hassle, i mean i never had to do this for halo 3 or anything because they all came out on the same day worldwide, importing wii's shouldnt be an option because the game shud be released at the same time.

KiraYamato

Smash Journeyman
well.. he could hardley do anything about megaman... that would have to be capcom's to give...

... maybe that's just it. He expected more 3rd parties to give him characters, and when only snake and sonic made it, he just filled in the other slots with just that.... filler
To argue that I met Keiji Inafune in August in New York City when he was there signing autographs to promote the new Megaman Star Force game. Someone asked him if megaman was going to be in brawl and his exact words were "If Nintendo says its ok I would be for it but they haven't asked me yet"

I don't mind the roster but I do put the blame on Sakurai and Nintendo for the lack of third party characters.

Top Bottom