• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controllers?

What The Fox

Smash Rookie
I recently bought an n64 controller that has a really good stick to practice on console. For whatever reason it just seems like my aerials don't come out on the same frames compared to when I use my ps3 controller on emulator. Maybe my c button isn't responsive? For example, short hop airs with Fox usually don't come out, neither do falcons, mainly when I try to do them fast like on emulator. Is there any adapter out there that could connect my ps3 controller to my console? Even though I grew up using n64 controllers, it's like I'm literally at 10 percent when I use them.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I recently bought an n64 controller that has a really good stick to practice on console. For whatever reason it just seems like my aerials don't come out on the same frames compared to when I use my ps3 controller on emulator. Maybe my c button isn't responsive? For example, short hop airs with Fox usually don't come out, neither do falcons, mainly when I try to do them fast like on emulator. Is there any adapter out there that could connect my ps3 controller to my console? Even though I grew up using n64 controllers, it's like I'm literally at 10 percent when I use them.
What does c button not being responsive have to do with aerials coming out? If anything you might be used to emulator lag and you're inputting the aerial too early so that it doesn't even come out because you're still jumping

What The Fox

Smash Rookie
What does c button not being responsive have to do with aerials coming out? If anything you might be used to emulator lag and you're inputting the aerial too early so that it doesn't even come out because you're still jumping

Well mainly because a lot of the time it doesn't short hop when I do it fast, I'll either stay on the ground, full hop, or do a smash attack instead of aerial. As opposed to my ps3 controller where I just slide my thumb from the C button to A and it's instant, especially since Fox's moves come out so fast.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Well mainly because a lot of the time it doesn't short hop when I do it fast, I'll either stay on the ground, full hop, or do a smash attack instead of aerial.
Sounds like you're pressing A too early. It's the only possibility that matches all of those results. Press A before you jumped? Smash attack. Press A after you hit jump and inputted up? Cancelled jump into up smash. Press A during prejump animation with no up input? No attack happens, just jumping.

It's not possible to hit both jump and A and stand on the ground doing nothing so I don't think that's what you meant.

Last edited:

Earthward Bound

Smash Cadet
You've built up muscle memory on a certain controller, you just need time to adjust to another one, its nothing weird. Like fireblaster has already stated it definately just sounds like your hitting A too early on N64 which likely is just you sliding your thumb at the same speed your used to but has a slightly different distance to travel therefore is producing a different result.

If you want to take both seriously you have to find a way to use the same controller for both. Either find a way to use ps3 controller on console or invest the time to grow acustomed to n64 on emulator.

Ps, you said the stick was good so its probably unlikely (could potentially be an aftermarket 3rd party stick if you cant notice the difference too) but you did test to make sure all the bottuns are working properly right?

Top Bottom